Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

View Poll Results: Has anyone experienced tangled umbilical cord around Newborn Kittens?
Experiences please 0 0%
How common is it? 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Angry Tangled umbilical cord to Newborn Kittenhttp

I am absolutely gutted. My cat gave birth today to 7 lovely kittens. When I looked I thought it strange that 5 of them appearred to be stuck together. Closer examination revealed something I haven't seen before. Umbilical cords to some kittens were tangled up around their limbs. Few snips later and they were freed. However, one of them had the cord tied around his lower hind leg very tight. The ligature was removed but it was too late. The blood supply was cut off, was purple in colour and the paw felt cold. Minutes later it swelled up massively (once the blood supply was established) and was blueish in colour. The kittens and mum were taken to the vets and unfortunately he had to be put to sleep. I am still upset by it as I never had to be responsible to sign off someone's life. Any one else who experienced tangled umbilical cords to baby cats? The Vet was puzzled.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about the poor kitten, I have not heard of this, but I am thinking this is a sign to have your momma spayed.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear about the kitten. I agree with L4H about having your cat (and her kittens) spayed & neutered..it would be horrible to have to go through this again, especially knowing what you know now.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I'm a softy

I have never seen of it either. What a tragedy. I don't know what the circumstances were that had your cat bred, but I hope also that you take this as a sign to make sure that it does not happen again. You said that you have not seen this before in a way that sounds like you have seen many cat births before, do you have many litters of kittens often?

When the kittens are older how do you find homes for them? It is sad what happens to many of them, I hope this is something you will put a lot of thought into.

I recently had to make the choice of putting a newborn down, and it was very very hard. The mother was a foster that I had only had for a very short time before they were borm. Her tender young age and health were a factor also that she probably bred with a close relaitive. Are any of these possible fo your cat? I know when it comes time for babies to go to their forever family I find it heart wrenching that every kitten that gets a new home there is a loving sweet innocent cat that does not, I have a very very hard time dealing with that. It was never my choice to bring kittens into the world, but still it is something I struggle with. The fact is that there are many many more cats and kittens than there are loving homes, and for every kitten that is born into this world there are sweethearts that will be killed because there is nowhere for them to go. The cat population problem is a really big one in our country as well as yours. Please re think this idea of bringing more into the world and letting so many others die alone.
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Catlover2

I never saw anything like you describe; it is very weird. I do hope you will get the momcat spayed after her kitties are weaned.
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:28 AM

Smile Thank you for replies

Hi
Thank you to all the replies. This is out first litter with our cat Cookie. I am originally from Romania and over there cats and dogs have a terrible life mainly because they are not spayed. That is the reason why I saw many cats births. Even as a child I loved cats and would collect strays, feed them and look after them. Anyway, our lovely cat did not breed with a close relative (not that I know of) but I think she was simply inexperienced. As soon as is safe the mummy will be spayed. The kittens are healthy and really cute. I will advertise in work ( I work for Police) and I am positive they will find good homes for them. And we decided we will keep 2 girls that will get spayed. But will keep you informed and thank you again for your replies.
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:51 PM

umbilical cord tangles

my parents have had cats for 50 years and the past few years she has witnessed this several times. It is not from inbreeding, the cat population on her farm has been diversified. But she too has cut them apart when she has found them tangled. This year there were two cats that didn't clean off their young...the one had all 5 kittens tangled around her own foot! She has attributed it to young mom's inexperienced since they should clean off each emerging kitten. An older cat even came over to seemingly help out with this. The single birth kitten apparently was so traumatic for the mother, she abandoned it and another the other mom finally came over, licked it off and adopted that kitten with her 5! and just FYI, she did have one that had the umbilical too tight around the leg, she let it go, the leg fell off, but the cat was fine and is still going strong with his 3 legs and is a lovely cat, so it still works!