Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 9th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Bad bruising after neutering?

Hello everyone,

I've read different threads on this site before joining and I have to say I love the open support and knowledge on here. That's why I joined. I have a problem and I'm hoping someone has an idea as to what's going on. I've been worrying myself sick and the pet hospital I took my peanut too doesn't really offer me the reassurance I need.

So I took peanut, my 4 year old chihuahua, to get neutered this Tuesday, June 5th. I believe the surgery took place around 10 because I called to check on him. I picked him up at 6:30 pm that same night. He was very excited to go home. He cried a bit and couldn't get comfortable which is understandable. He was sleepy the first two days but by the third he was back to his old self. At times when I couldn't watch him, and at bed time, he would wear his e collar to sleep. My issue right now is, the surgery area was red and swollen which I know is fine on the first couple days. Things seemed to be healing nicely but on the third day he had some serious redness under his skin. It looked like he was bleeding just beneath his skin. This worried me deeply. I noticed another on the other side of his scrotum as the day went by, but this one was less pronounced.
I was hoping this morning would reveal better results but everything looks the same...
He's eating, drinking, using the bathroom as normal. He's also on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory (I believe). There is no drainage or anything coming from the incision area. I called the vets office yesterday and spoke to a tech who didn't sound sure about anything he said, but he told be its normal and not to worry. Wait 48 hours. I've searched the internet like a mad woman and finally broke down and decided to write my own help thread I'm desperate. I'll attach pictures once I can get on my computer.
The incision area doe look better today, but does it look swollen or is that alright? He's my first dog and I care about him deeply.

Also I dont know if I forgot to mention, he has disolvable sutures.
Thank you!
Kel

Last edited by kezzle; June 9th, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: adding pictures
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzle View Post
Hello everyone,

I've read different threads on this site before joining and I have to say I love the open support and knowledge on here. That's why I joined. I have a problem and I'm hoping someone has an idea as to what's going on. I've been worrying myself sick and the pet hospital I took my peanut too doesn't really offer me the reassurance I need.

So I took peanut, my 4 year old chihuahua, to get neutered this Tuesday, June 5th. I believe the surgery took place around 10 because I called to check on him. I picked him up at 6:30 pm that same night. He was very excited to go home. He cried a bit and couldn't get comfortable which is understandable. He was sleepy the first two days but by the third he was back to his old self. At times when I couldn't watch him, and at bed time, he would wear his e collar to sleep. My issue right now is, the surgery area was red and swollen which I know is fine on the first couple days. Things seemed to be healing nicely but on the third day he had some serious redness under his skin. It looked like he was bleeding just beneath his skin. This worried me deeply. I noticed another on the other side of his scrotum as the day went by, but this one was less pronounced.
I was hoping this morning would reveal better results but everything looks the same...
He's eating, drinking, using the bathroom as normal. He's also on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory (I believe). There is no drainage or anything coming from the incision area. I called the vets office yesterday and spoke to a tech who didn't sound sure about anything he said, but he told be its normal and not to worry. Wait 48 hours. I've searched the internet like a mad woman and finally broke down and decided to write my own help thread I'm desperate. I'll attach pictures once I can get on my computer.
The incision area doe look better today, but does it look swollen or is that alright? He's my first dog and I care about him deeply.

Also I dont know if I forgot to mention, he has disolvable sutures.
Thank you!
Kel

Did your dog get a Elizabeth collar to wear so he can't get the sutures?
I would bring your dog back to the vet for a follow up appointment soon.
Old June 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM

We bought the e collar the day we brought him home. He wears it whenever I can't directly watch him. I called the vet and they told me to wait, he wasn't prescribed a follow up. How many days should I wait to see if it starts to get better. He's on meds right now for infection.
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzle View Post
We bought the e collar the day we brought him home. He wears it whenever I can't directly watch him. I called the vet and they told me to wait, he wasn't prescribed a follow up. How many days should I wait to see if it starts to get better. He's on meds right now for infection.
I found this link , it may helps answers some of your questions.

My dog got neutered when he was 2yo by the shelter so I have no idea what he looked like after it was done.

http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-a...neutering.html
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:56 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wouldn't hurt to pop back in to the vet. It wouldn't take long for them to look at the bruising. They shouldn't charge you for it either. A lot of vets offer a recheck after surgery anyway. Make an appt and have him checked. I have had a large number of cats done. Never saw bruising like that in any. And I never put collars on any of them either.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Wouldn't hurt to pop back in to the vet. It wouldn't take long for them to look at the bruising. They shouldn't charge you for it either. A lot of vets offer a recheck after surgery anyway. Make an appt and have him checked. I have had a large number of cats done. Never saw bruising like that in any. And I never put collars on any of them either.
Every animal is difference and some will keep licking a wound and that could made it take longer to heal. I had to put a collar on my Standard Poodle to keep him from licking a wound . I wonder if being an older dog has anything to do the bruising.
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Hi, welcome to the board! I had Theo neutered at 6 months. I too brought him home the same night and he was back to normal the next day. I didn't let him jump around and kept the e collar on him for 2 days. He was not bruised at all. I can see why you are worried the bruises look very sore. Has he been jumping around or could he have banged himself? If it were me, I would bring him right back in. Hope your Peanut is feeling better soon.
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the comments and support everyone. I just keep coming back in hopes ill find a responce saying don't worry about it lol but it can't be helped I guess. Peanut is healthy, no pain to the area, its not any hotter than the rest of his body and the incision area is healing nicely. I even think the red blotches are yellowing out on the sides. I can't be 100% sure though.
I can guarantee that he didn't hurt himself. He's been under constant watch and he's slept most of the last three days away (which is normal for him). I've read other threads similar to this and their vets say not to worry. Sadly my vet isn't open on Sundays, so if its not any better by Monday ill call and see if they'll do a free follow-up. I pray its nothing...
He's as dandy as ever.
Again, thanks for the responces. I'll update on what I'm gonna do with him on Monday.
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:22 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, poor Peanut and poor you! I think canine urgery is harder on the human than on the dog! At least mentally it is--I find the recovery time to be extremely stressful, although the dogs usually seem to take it all in stride.

If the area is not weeping or hot and Peanut is behaving normally, I think you can safely wait till Monday to decide if you need a vet visit. I think I can see some improvement in the bruising from the 'yesterday' to the 'today' pic. By Monday I suspect it will be better yet. The swelling doesn't look too far out of the ordinary, either.

It doesn't sound like he's very active, which is good--the quieter he stays, the faster the bruising will resolve and the faster he'll heal. Just keep a close eye on him and if you aren't already, take him on a leash when he's in the yard to prevent him from running. Also, no jumping up on furniture--he'll just have to rely on Mom to give him a lift when he wants up or down.

I hope he's healing up well enough on Monday so you skip the extra vet visit! Keep us posted!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM

That looks normal to me. Bruising, especially internal can take days even weeks in some cases (more traumatic injury, not a neuter) to come to the surface. One of my dogs was actually much worse then that. Some dogs show very little bruising or swelling, some show some, some show a lot.. all depends on the individual dog. Think of the colours you see when you get a bad bruise, it goes red, purple, green, yellow, and eventually fades.

I wouldn't worry but I'm sure your vet wouldn't mind if you stopped by for some one to take a quick look and re-assure you. I would call and let them know you're going to stop by. Even one of the vet techs might be able to take a quick peak if a vet isn't available (although a vet would likely prefer to take a look in case of any liability issues).

But bottom line.. I wouldn't worry
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:22 PM

I'm so thankful for all the support and suggestions, thank you all again

Waking up this morning I noticed the red area isn't as bright as it was but it hasn't ftarted to fade, flood thing though it hasn't gotten worse though. My mother suggested I wait till the 10 days (what the vet suggested we wait until going back to normal routine) are up until I take peanut back. As long as he's not lethargic and not acting any differently then I think he's ok to wait. I trust my moms word, she's no doctor but she's pretty wise lol plus I only have to wait till this Friday. I'm almost certain its bruising but either way I'm gonna continue to watch him carefully. Hes eating, drinking, using the bathroom just find and the incision area is returning to its normal coloring.
Peanuts vet is also a terrible 45 minutes away which doesnt help my predicament with needing to bring him back...

I was glad to come on and see a comment telling me not to worry. I know all of you understand the terror that comes with worrying about your pet. Thank you, choochi. I'll try to worry less and still keep an eye on him.
And to hazelrunpack, I've been placing him places rather than him jumping lol

I may be getting slightly more paranoid then what's healthy...but o was looking at the side effects of metacam (meds for inflammation prescribed by the vet for five days) and it made me fear internal bleeding...could this be it? I pray it isn't the red bruising started Thursday, would I have seen more serious effects already? It's been three days :/ I think I just need to relax...