Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 31st, 2013, 11:34 AM
Fuzz Lover

My dog refuses to go in his crate (after he had been sleeping there for months!)

So I adopted a 4 year old Lasa Westie in April through a rescue group. He was crate trained for when I went out and at night. He was great in his crate; he would willingly go in there when I would tell him and at night he would be waiting for me to bring him his nightly cookie before bed).

I eventually transitioned him to being free during the day but at night he still was crated. No issues that I could see. He would always go in there willingly and was quiet all night. Waiting quietly for me to let him out in the mornings.

About two weeks ago, he just started refusing to go in. I would tell him I was getting the cookie and instead of going in to wait for me he would stop outside the crate and look at me. The first couple of nights I was able to coax him in with a higher value treat, but then the third night, nope. He would not go. I got down on the floor to talk to him, telling him to go in & he just climbed in my lap. I don't want to force him in as I want the crate to be a positive place for him not one where he thinks he is being punished.

Now he's in the bed with me & my other dog which would be fine except he has allergies & is restless. But not really my question.

I'm more wondering why he would just suddenly refuse to go in? I checked all around the crate, the bedding & floor, checked his blankets for accidents, and everything was normal. My only thought is that the crate might be slightly too small for him; he doesn't really have much extra room. But he has been fine in the crate up until two weeks ago!

I tried again last night and again, he wouldn't go in. Thoughts? (Maybe it's my fault now he's in the bed and doesn't want to leave it! lol).
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

A dog should be able to stand up , lay down and turn around all the way around in their crate . Your dog could be trying tell you the crate is too small . If you're not taking your collar off before leaving him alone in the crate you should start doing that as a dog can hang itself if the tag get stuck on the crate.
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I suspect that he knew the other dog had bed privileges and he wanted the same! Now that he's gotten a taste of that heaven, it might be pretty hard to convince him to sleep alone. Our dogs all sleep on the beds with us, but still use their crates for daytime naps.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:11 PM
Fuzz Lover

Yes I knew that about the collar; I definitely take it off him. He can turn around but I think it's a bit squished....And yes Hazel, I think he's not leaving the bed now that he's gotten a taste! lol. I wouldn't mind so much except his scratching wakes me up and I'm not getting much sleep either...so I'm trying to find a solution to that and am willing to keep him in the bed. Cuz it's just so cozy! Lol
Old October 31st, 2013, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I know what you mean about it being cozy having your dog in bed with you.
Marty sleeps in bed with me but he likes to sleep right next to me and that will wake me up. I have a queen size bed so my dog has plenty of room to sleep . He can sure take up a lot room for a small dog . Have you tried buying a dog bed and letting your dog sleep in your room? you could put right next to your bed and maybe your dog will feel like he sleeping in bed with you too.
Old November 1st, 2013, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Have to agree with barkingdog's suggestion of a bed on the floor next to yours. Both of my dogs had a bed on the floor, one on either side of our bed. They loved it. Now our oldest still has her bed and the two pups sleep outside as the house is too warm for them, so they're not an issue - lol. I do suspect if they ever got onto the bed they'd never want to leave either!
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

How about a nice arm chair in the bedroom with a cozy blanket on it, by your bed. Marty sleeps downstairs but if there is activities going on (I have adult children) she gets to have sleepovers in our bed. She sleeps on top of the blankets at my feet and I throw a housecoat over her to cover, she never moves at all.
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:20 AM
Fuzz Lover

I have two dog beds in the bedroom (they like to lie on them when I'm getting ready for work & watch me)....he won't stay in it. The few times he's jumped down to get a drink of water in the night, he comes back & puts his paws up on the bed (it's too high to get up on himself) and stares at me & makes these little sad sounds until I pick him up again.

I'm trying some probiotics for his itching so I'm hoping once I get that under control it will be easier to sleep with him!
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I take my dog water up at night so he will not be begging to go out in the middle of the night. Maybe your dog needs to go out , he sound like a real small dog if he can't jump onto your bed.
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:22 AM
Fuzz Lover

No, he doesn't need to go out. He is small, 20 lbs....but my bed is higher than normal (just with the bedframe, box spring and mattress). I have to lift up my other one as well. I bought some stairs but they won't use them and I can't figure out how to get them to!
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

How about climbing the stairs yourself so your dog might not know what they're for.
Old November 1st, 2013, 02:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I would stand by the stairs at the bed and offer him a treat under his nose. Then slowly move your hand in the direction of going up the stairs and let him follow with his nose. Then treat. The repeat the excercise from ontop of the bed to the bottom and reward. I would be sure to do it slowly so he doesnt slip off the stairs. He will figure out how to fly up and down those stairs really fast.

Are they those steps you buy and there are 3 steps and you sit it beside the bed?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown