Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
Slave to Dogs and 1 Angel

The Dogs and Puppies of the Vancouver SPCA

Hello everyone!

This is going to be my new thread on the Vancouver SPCA canines. The format is going to be a little different than the one that I had in the photo section. In this one, there won't be any pictures. I will however provide a link to either the SPCA website or Petfinder.org page where you can look at the dog or puppy profile yourself. Often time there will be a picture on there.

Hope everyone will continue to enjoy reading about my time spent walking the dogs!

Scuba
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:40 AM

Friday evening 21/11/2008

The weather was kind of wet, cold and windy tonight. I had loads of time this afternoon so I stopped by this coffee place on Broadway to grab something to eat. I have never been to that coffee place before, and the only reason that I went in was because they had a hand written sign up saying that they had cinnamon rolls. I am so glad that I went in and had one, it was super tasty and I needed all those fat, sugar and dough on my walks tonight.

I was one of the first volunteers to arrive at the SPCA tonight and the coordinator let me have my pick of dogs to take out first. All of them looked like fun but in the end I decided on a 11 month old girl named Rover. The info on her kennel says that she is a GSD cross, I am not sure but who cares. She was so sweet and easy going. When we first went out, she was a little too excited and wanting to dash this way and that way. But once we got into our stride, she was pretty easy to walk. I could get her to sit and wait at all the intersections so she has good obedience. I didn't try anything fancy though considering what the weather was like tonight.

Half way through our walk, Rover wanted to check out something by the curb. I was wondering what got her attention like that, turned out to be this smashed up pumpkin (pretty big). She actually was a little too happy about finding the pumpkin than I was comfortable with. For one thing I didn't want her to get into any of it and eat some, considering that Halloween was three weeks ago. She was a little reluctant when I gently pulled her away to continue or walk.

About five minutes later as we were walking down a sidewalk, this leaf blows of a tree in front of us and gets blown down the pavement away from us. Rover sees it and wants to chase after it, when we do catch up to it however Rover realises that it is just a yellow leaf and gets disinterested right away. The funniest thing was the look she gave me, she turns and looks up at me all dopey. It was like she was trying to say "What, it was just a leaf!".

Then it was back to the shelter for us. She was all wet, but I got a towel and dried her off. Only thing was the silly girl wouldn't hold still for me and all the while that I am attempting to towel her off, she is trying to wash my face for me (maybe I had some cinnamon bun filling stuck to my face?).

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...80827&result=4

Last edited by Scuba; November 22nd, 2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Some minor spelling mistakes.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM

After I was done with Rover there was only my old buddy Brewster left who hadn't have a chance to go out yet. But we took care of that right away. Since other volunteers were heading back in with dogs already. The coordinator of tonight and I decided that I could just take Brewster out for the whole hour.

Brewster was pretty excited going out the gate. Had a pretty good pee within the first couple of blocks. Then Brewster was happy to start sniffing stuff. This silly boy tried to do the whole, I am sad I don't want to walk thing on me again about 15 minutes into our walk. He would stand there and won't move all the while giving you these pathetic looks.

Too bad for him that I wasn't going to play the sucker tonight, I had fell for this trick one too many times. I used to to do some sit and paw type commands and give him a treat to get him going again. But tonight I just short leashed him and said "Walk". Brewster got on board with the program pretty fast, so he is just a little too smart for his own good.

Since with the wet, cold and generally miserable weather, there were not a lot of people out and about. Not a lot to distract Brewster and he was pretty good tonight on the "sit and wait" before crossing the streets for me tonight. Since we had gotten into a comfortable rhythm for our walk, Brewster caught me off guard with a sudden bout of zoomies as we were cutting across a park. But like on Monday, he could only zoom off for six feet before he had to take off in another direction. My right arm got another good work out tonight.

After he had calmed down and walked for a bit, Brewster was good enough to do a big old number two for me. I had forgotten to bring gloves tonight and I hadn't realise how numb my hands had gone with the rain and cold until I was trying to pull some baggies out of my jacket pocket. Then I had to be really careful whilst doing the deed since I didn't want to puncture or rip the bags. Then I had to tie a knot and that was a struggle. Brewster was good enough to wait for me tonight though, I just he had burnt up a lot of energy by then.

When we got back to the shelter after out fairly long walk, Brewster couldn't wait to get back into his own kennel. At least I knew there was nothing wrong with him when I went to dry him off with a towel. Since he wouldn't hold still for me, silly guy kept wiggling around or trying to climb into my lap!

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...74443&result=7

Last edited by Scuba; November 22nd, 2008 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I went in was because they had a hand written sign up saying that they had cinnamon rolls. I am so glad that I went in and had one, it was super tasty and I needed all those fat, sugar and dough on my walks tonight.

11 month old girl named Rover. The info on her kennel says that she is a GSD cross, I am not sure but who cares.
mmmmmm cinnamon rolls yummy

I see way more Rottie than GSD in that cutie pie

Brewster sounds like a fun dog to walk

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You think Brewster decided it was too wet and that was why he balked at first? Our dogs do that on rainy days. They'd much rather sit inside and get toweled off and cuddled than subject their pristine fur to the rigors and insults of raindrops

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
Live well, laugh often

I couldn't see Rover but Brewster looks like a big, sweet bundle of energy .
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I couldn't see Rover but Brewster looks like a big, sweet bundle of energy .
Sorry, I forgot to mention that if any of the dogs or puppies get adopted, fostered or if they have to go to the hospital or into ISO for any reason then their information normally gets pulled.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM

Monday evening update 24/11/2008

Tonight I was right on time, first dog that I took out was Brewster. Such a clown, he couldn't wait to get outside. But was really calm and good for the coordinator tonight for putting on his leash and halti. He sat still and didn't move whilst all the straps were being adjusted and everything. Then once we were out the gate, he wanted to take off in six different directions all at the same time.

We only had a 30 minute walk before Brewster was balking. Since he didn't want to walk further and I was kind of tired today, I just took him straight back to the kennel. On our walk, there weren't any issues. Brewster was fairly good until the end when he got a little pig headed and didn't want to walk more.

For his profile, look to previous post.^^
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Next up was a Golden Retriever cross, she is three years old. Her name is Chia, and other than that, I don't know much about her. She was really timid and shy. Knows quite a few basic commands, whether she will do them for you is a whole different matter.

Chia like to pull a little on leash, but it was nothing that is unmanageable. She won't stop by herself at street corners but if you short leash her and ask her to wait, she will listen. I had a 50/50 chance of getting her to sit for me before we crossed the street. Considering that I didn't use any treats I thought it was pretty good.

At first I thought she was a puppy due to her petite stature. She is just adorable and really sweet. Only thing was that, the first couple of times on our walk, when I went to pet her, she would go all submissive on me and lay down. Chia did catch on pretty quick that I was just going to give her ears a scratch.

There isn't a profile of her up yet, as soon as one is available I will post it.

Last edited by Scuba; November 25th, 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Some spelling
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Since I had some more time, I took Brewster out again. This time he was really calm and no trouble at all on our walk. We didn't have much time however and this walk was only about 25 minutes long. At the end of his walk, we encountered a skunk on the sidewalk on the way back to the shelter. Brewster was pretty keen to go make friends (he wasn't lunging or pulling like he wanted to chase it, he only wanted to get closer to figure out what it was). My feeling was that Mr. Skunk probably wouldn't want to make friends so I held Brewster back and gave him plenty of space to do his thing. In the end, the skunk wandered off into a yard that had its gate open and I just took Brewster back to his kennel.

Then Brewster wanted to show off his new stuffie to me, it was this big orange thing (I never did manage to figure out what it was, I think it was a monkey!?).

Last edited by Scuba; November 25th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:16 AM

Aww Brewster's gotta a stuffie

Old November 25th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I couldn't see Rover. Brewster looks like a real love bug

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oy!! Glad you managed to discourage the skunk tete-a-tete!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:59 AM

Friday night update 28th November 2008

The links that I provide that have profiles of the dogs will not work once they get adopted, fostered, if they go into the hospital or into ISO.

My buddy Chance got adopted, I am so happy and sad.

On Monday evening I walked a dog named Chia, there wasn't a profile for her then but now there is on available.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...81110&result=6
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:12 AM

I got to the SPCA shelter with time to spare today. Also, I finally went and spent $90 on a pair of rain pants so that I don't get my trousers soaked when it rains. My shoes and socks were still pretty soggy by the end of the evening though, so I need to invest in a good pair of water proof boots next. That and some water proof gloves.

First dog for me to walk tonight was Frank, he is an Australian shepherd cross male, no age given for him. He is mostly brown with a little bit of white on his chest. He was really patient whilst getting his collar and leash put on him by the coordinator. Then once we were out the gate, he was off like an arrow. I tried to get him to sit for me before we crossed the streets but it wasn't working tonight. I had some treats on me but I totally forgot about them so I didn't use any tonight. Maybe next time with some incentives we will have better luck at the obedience training. Frank likes to pull a little on leash but nothing crazy or unmanageable.

Here is his profile.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...77915&result=1

I was using a LED light strap with Frank tonight, I put it around his neck like a collar so that he would be more visible to cars at night. I got it at Mountain Equipment Co-op. It works quite well and I am really happy with it and Frank didn't have any problems with me putting it around his neck.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1227946359503
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:22 AM

Next dog that I walked was a girl named Sadie, she is five years old and is a GSD and BC cross. I used the same LED strap around her neck and she didn't have any issues with it either. Sadie is pretty sweet, has good obedience training. Whenever I asked her to sit and wait for me before we crossed a street she would do it for me no problem. She also walks well on leash, no pulling at all. Sadie was just interested in sniffing stuff on our walk. I kept the walk to about 35 minutes because there is a dog in ISO and I was planning to head over there to walk Lanesy in ISO. But when I got back to the shelter, there was another volunteer that was just about to go and take Lanesy out so I just took Sadie for another walk. This time we stayed out for 45 minutes.

Sadie got pretty interested in this big blue ceramic flower pot on our walk. It was laying on the sidewalk but it was smashed up and there were pieces everywhere and I didn't want Sadie to accidentally cut her pads so I kept her away. She was dead keen on wanting to go and sniff it, except that I didn't let her. Silly girl kept shaking herself on our walk, it was raining quite a bit but doesn't she know that she is just going to get wet right away again.

When we got back, I did dry her off properly with a towel.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...82335&result=4
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I can't download from the LED strap link...I'm curious--is it big enough to use like a collar around her neck or do you just loop it through and secure it around the collar?

Old November 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, never mind. I just read your product review--sounds like it's large enough to use as a collar, at least on a medium-sized or small dog, anyway. Sounds like a great safety feature!!

Old November 30th, 2008, 02:15 AM

That's wonderful news for Chance one dog that definately needs people

Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:47 AM

Monday evening update 1st December 2008

The weather was wet and depressing today but I finally came up with a solution to my soggy gloves. I was looking for some waterproof gloves that would keep my hands dry and warm. The problem was that they were all $30-40. My solution was to use the existing fleece gloves that I have and think rubber gloves, the ones that people use to wash up dishes and clean with. I just put on my gloves as usual then slip the rubber gloves over them. Cheap solution that works, my hands were toasty warm and dry.

Just got to figure something out for footwear.

First dog that I walked was my buddy Brewster, he was being a silly boy at first again because of the rain. He was balking quite a few time during the first 20 minutes of our walk. Once he caught on however that we weren't just going out to the bathroom and running back to the shelter he reluctantly walked with me. Brewster has come a long way with his leash manners lately. Tonight he was heeling beside me and waiting quite a few times just before crossing a street all by himself. No prompting or verbal commands from me at all.

He was trying to be tricky though, kept wanting to turn us back towards the direction of the shelter. Caught me off guards with a quick bout of zoomies as well at one of the parks near the shelter. When we finally turned to start back towards the shelter, he was dead keen on walking then.

Silly guy kept trying to drink water out of the gutters as well during the walk. I figured he was thirsty so I took him to one of the few parks that has a drinking fountain, well I got the water going for him and he just stood there looking at me and didn't want to drink.

I also had the LED strap light around Brewster neck tonight and he had no problems with me putting it on him and it stayed put during the whole walk and worked with no problem in the rain.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...74443&result=8
Brewster's profile
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM

Next up was Copper, he was really easy to walk. Didn't pull on the leash at all, just wanted to take his time and sniff stuff. He was really good to sit still for me and let me put the LED light strap around his neck as well.

Other than the constant rain, our walk was pretty uneventful. Only interesting thing to happen was that we encountered a raccoon halfway through. It was a pretty big raccoon and I would think that it would be a full grown male just due to its size. It was easily as big as Copper if not bigger. At first when we came up to it, I thought it was a big long haired tom cat in somebody's yard. Luckily for Copper and me, there was a wrought iron fence between the raccoon and us. The big raccoon and Copper just stood and eyeballed each other for a bit. Then Copper got bored and we moved on, when I looked back the raccoon was still in the same spot for bit before it too turned and ambled away.

It is pretty funny to watch Copper walking, he has his head down all the time sniffing things. But his tail sticks straight up and wags side to side, like the needle on a metronome.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...78548&result=2
Copper's profile
Old December 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM

After I got back with Copper and placed him back in his kennel and dried him off. Beckum came back to the shelter with his volunteer. I just had to say hello to him. I hadn't walked him since his time spent in ISO. Since there was still some time left I asked the coordinator if I could take the big fellow out for a short walk. I got the "OK" and we were off. In the end we only managed a 20 minutes walk but it was nice. I still can't get Beckum to sit for me but we will keep working on that.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...78103&result=9
Beckum
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:41 AM

Brewster & Coppers' links aren't working anymore so here's hoping that they both got adopted.

Raccoons are funny creatures , good thing that one didn't give you or Copper any trouble.

Old December 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Friday 12th of December 2008 update

Finally had a chance to go to the SPCA again, just been really busy and not feeling very well lately.

Brewster - Last I heard, he is being fostered by a rescue at the moment. They have loads of space and stuff for him to run around, sounds like an awsome place.

Copper - I am not sure about him, but I will endeavor to find out on Monday.
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM

First dog that I walked was a GSD, unfortunately I don't know what his name is. There isn't a lot of info on the guy. There isn't much online either.

I was just glad that I finally got myself a pair of wellingtons, this GSD lad took me through some pretty muddy and wet stuff. Last night it was raining pretty hard, it did slow down by the end of the evening though. This boy was so easy to walk, no issues what so ever.

As soon as there is more on this boy I will post some more on him.
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Second dog was my old buddy Beckum, he was so excited to go out. Wouldn't sit still for the staff member who was coordinating put a harness on him.

Once we were outside, walking him was a breeze. I am so glad that I bring a headlamp along with me. When Beckum decided to do his number two, it was amongst a lot of pine cones. If I didn't have some light to see what I was doing, I would have been picking up all kinds of stuff.

Beckum did nose his way under a bush and eat a part of a bird carcass unfortunately. I only managed to get a bit of a wing away from him. They rest was just "crunch crunch", it was pretty loud (to me anyway) hearing him munching away. I kept trying to reach into his mouth, but Beckum just kept turning and squirming away from me. Then not half a block away, he dives into another bush and pulls out a white plastic bag full of something (one of those supermarket white plastic bags), I didn't open it up to see what it was. This time I was ready for the big guy and managed to keep Beckum from getting into the thing.

Then it was back home to the SPCA for him. At least I know that all the boys and girls get dewormed every other week so Beckum is going to be ok.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...78103&result=7
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Next up was a girl, her name is Roxy. She is about 2 or 3 years old and is a whippet cross with something!?

She was pretty excited to get outside, her kennel is right next to Beckum's and when I went out with Roxy, he started barking up a storm. She is very pretty and petite. Since it was still raining quite a fair bit, I didn't try any obedience stuff with her at all. Just a quick walk and back.

Roxy kept wanting to go and check out the newly renovated bit of the Vancouver community college (VCC), there was a couple of breaks in the fence that construction companies put up around a site and she kept wanting to go. No idea what was so interesting and captivating for her.

Roxy, did stand up and look over a waist high fence of a yard on the way back to the shelter. Something really caught her attention, I never did manage to find out what it was.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...82103&result=1
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Finally I took a puppy out, his name is Tommy, he is about 6 months old. He is a Lab x GSD. I don't really know much about him. Since it was my first time meeting him, he was really timid at first.

When we started our walk, he had his tail tucked right in between his legs and his ears were tucked back flat as well. Once we got going he did realise that I wasn't a bad guy and did relax a little. Tommy was really easy to walk, no pulling on the leash at all and he would keep looking at me with his big puppy eyes for directions. Only thing was that we did get tangled up around a couple of trees, but that is such a minor thing. On the way back to the SPCA after we turned around his actually started to wag his tail as he was walking and his ears were in a neutral position.

Back at the shelter, I was having a real hard time trying to get Tommy to stand still for me to towel him off. He got really nervous again, but luckily for the both of us another volunteer came to our rescue. She toweled him off no problem.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...3185&result=12

No picture of him yet, but I will keep looking.
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:45 AM

Update: Monday evening 15/12/2008

Tommy's picture is available on his profile page now. I didn't have a chance to walk him tonight but he did seem very well and a lot more confident than last Friday evening.

Tommy's profile again.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...3185&result=14
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM

First dog this evening was Sasha

Sasha is a BC x PBT girl. She is very sweet and smart. At first I thought she was going to be a handful since she was really excited in her kennel at the prospect of going out and she was barking as well. But once we were out the gate, she calmed right down and was a real pleasure to walk. She is actually quite timid, I found this out during our walk.

We were walking through the park near the SPCA shelter and going by a bench, there was a gentleman sitting there eating a sandwich and for some reason Sasha got all nervous and kept leaning against me as we were walking by. Once we were pass, she was alright again, so I don't know what had spooked her. She had no problems with pedestrians walking pass us on the sidewalk so I really don't know what had happened. People were complimenting on how cute they thought she was.

The funniest thing was half way into out walk, Sasha suddenly got all tensed and walked behind me and was a little shaky. At first I didn't know what was wrong and was really on guard trying to figure out what had spooked the poor girl. Turns out it was a little three feet tall snowman on somebody's lawn. It wasn't even a scary snowman, it was one of those three big snow balls piled on top of each other deals (or at least originally it was before its head fell off). Sasha just kept staring at it all the while we were walking pass it.

She is such a lovebug, when I was putting on the light strap around her neck she kept licking my face. Also, she was very good at the sitting and waiting before crossing the street routine that I like to do. All in all I had a really good time walking her.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/a...81463&result=3