Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products > Cat product reviews

Old March 5th, 2008, 05:50 PM
proud to be a cat slave

SSScat

Ever since I brought Alley, kitten, into the house, both of the kitties have taken it upon themselves to hang out on the kitchen counters. I wouldn't mind if they kept to one side, but they're everywhere on the counters, including the stove top, even when we are cooking!

I couldn't take it anymore, so I ordered the SSScat. It's an aerosol motion sensored device that you can put on your counters - when it senses the cat is there, it will spray a non toxic citronella mist at them. You can check out their site here for video shots.

I ordered it last Wednesday and it came to my house on Monday!

I have to say, well worth the money - at first I didn't think it was going to work, but then both cats jumped on the counter, and they both got a jolt when the spray went off! I love my kitties dearly, but I have to say, it was hilarious seeing them get sprayed! Of course, Alley didn't learn (), so she jumped up there again, and got sprayed again.

The cool thing about it is that it keeps spraying for as long as the cat (or, in one case, my arm) is detected by the sensor - which is great for Alley - who laughs in the face of squirt bottles that only squirt one bit of water at a time.

Plus it's completely mobile so you can put it in other areas you don't want them to go.

After getting sprayed about 3 times, they haven't been up there since! The funny thing is, after the first time, they spent about half an hour just looking up at the counter, wondering why it suddenly sucked to be up there!

Although a bit pricy if you order it, it's worth it. I give the Ssscat

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

That is so cool phoozles, thanks for posting the review! Do you have to set up a whole bunch of them?

My bunduk has started walking all over the stove-top too.....maybe it would keep him from chewing wires as well
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I have seen this product in action and it does indeed work well!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:02 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
That is so cool phoozles, thanks for posting the review! Do you have to set up a whole bunch of them?

My bunduk has started walking all over the stove-top too.....maybe it would keep him from chewing wires as well
No, you only need one - it has a long range sensor, and you can move the direction of the spray - I think it said it sprays several feet. Once they stop going where you don't want them to be, you can just move it to another place.

You can buy refills, but I didn't bother because one can is supposed to contain about 200 sprays, and they've already learned (me and my boyfriend have accidentally set it off more times than the kitties have! )

I think it would work for the wires too - which is a great idea - Jake's always been a wire chewer!

Old March 6th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Kitty pimp

im in tears with laughter the poor kits they just couldnt figure it out eh? sounds like a great invention
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking of getting the mat at one point, but didn't want to jolt them with that. I'll have to check this out. I'm guessing the spray doesn't harm their eyes or is irritating right?

Normally I don't mind mine getting on the counter, but lately, Vlad and Oksana have been venturing to the stove which they know is a no no.

ETA: I just read it emits a non-toxic gas, so that's good. I may get this. I need to keep them away from that stove.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/

Last edited by ancientgirl; March 10th, 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:29 PM
proud to be a cat slave

My sister worked for the company that made the ScatMat, so we got to give it a try, but her cat managed to walk around it, and I know that Alley () would be able to do that as well.

I got a little with myself this weekend - I had been to one pet store and they didn't have the SSScat, so I ordered it online (where they tacked on a ridiculous $20 shipping fee). Then yesterday I was at another pet store in town and saw it hanging on their shelf.. I didn't look at the price because I didn't want to see how much I ripped myself off

Moral of the story - if you want to get it, check around your local pet stores and see if they sell it before ordering it online. *sigh*

We still love it though!

Old March 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll find it at the local store. I'll check around here, at the smaller pet stores too. Sometimes they have stuff the bigger chains don't.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/