Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 6th, 2016, 06:14 PM

Dog snapped at cat

Hi everyone, i have a 4 year old lab mix who i am currently introducing to my 2 adult cats
Everything has been going well. My dog (who is very prey driven) will ignore the cats, and has done very well around them...for the most part.
He has snapped and lunged at them twice.
The first time, my dog and i were both sitting on the couch, and one cat was creeping up on us. She got very close and maybe tried to swat at him or could have been just wanting to check him out. I was looking at my phone so i'm unsure. Anyway, my dog leaped off the couch, barked and chased her away (he only ran a couple of feet) that was the first worrying sign, and that was after about two weeks with no signs of aggresion at all.
The second time was today, when my dog was eating. The cat tried to get close to his food bowl, and the dog barked and lunged at the cat. The cat stood its ground and everyone was ok.
They are completely comfortable to the degree where they all hangout in the same room and will all sleep on the couch (all spread out..still no cuddling
Anyways other than those two cases, all has been great. Especially considering the fact that this is a new situation. Should i still leave them unattended? Have been for a month and all seems to be fine. Just want everyone to be safe.

Should i be overly concerned? Or is my dog just trying to assert some dominance? The cats have mostly asserted all the dominance at this point. Typical cats. Please any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I should also add, that my dog has never shown any signs of food agression once in his life. Towards any human or any dog. This is first time it has happened in 4 years, so it has taken me off guard.

Last edited by Kcmarie; September 6th, 2016 at 06:41 PM.

Tags
cat behavior, cats issues, dog aggression, dog attacking cat, dog behavior