Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Question My mutt can't get pregnant?...milk?

My dog (ruby) is a mutt, she is a mix of german shepard, rottwieler, choc. lab, and chow. She is the most beautiful dog i have ever seen. But there is a slight problem i think she may not be able to give birth or even get pregnant. The last few times she went in heat my older male dog (Rebel) has tried to get her pregnant and they had tried a number of times but they never got stuck. Another thing is after he is done trying (and does'nt succed) she gets super hyper and starts to run around restlessly. She has given of milk from her teats longer than i can remember but she hasn't showed any other symptoms of pregnancy and she has never got "stuck" with any male dog i know this for sure.
What i dont know is why is she lactating for no reason?
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Well then I would say that is a sign to get her spayed and your male neutered

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

And why on earth would you want your mutt to get pregnant, no matter how beautiful she is? :sad: What would you plan to do with a whole litter of puppies? Any idea how many dogs are euthanized in shelters every day? Even cute, cuddly, friendly little puppies, and lots of them. And many of the breeds in your mutt are not easily adoptable, which spells even worse news if they end up in a shelter. Please read the following, in it's entirety:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15343

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; April 14th, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

from what you've described I'd say its very important to get her to a vet immediately and have her spayed before any more damage is done to your beautiful girl!!
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:34 AM

most people would be happy that their dog couldn't get pregnant also this is the wrong board for pregnancy and reproduction issues as its a pro neuter environment, if you really want to know find a pro-breeding board.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM

I never said that i wanted to get my dog pregnant i was only wondering if this is a major health issue. so if you do not have anything nice to say about it please be polite and don't say anything at all thank you.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Please get her spayed.

Dogs who have false pregnancies or repeated false pregnancies run a higher risk of pyrometria - an often fatal intrauterine infection. Also, extended lactatating by a non-nursing bitch increases the risk of mammary cancer.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by casfaa View Post
I never said that i wanted to get my dog pregnant i was only wondering if this is a major health issue. so if you do not have anything nice to say about it please be polite and don't say anything at all thank you.
I guess when I read: "But there is a slight problem i think she may not be able to give birth or even get pregnant. The last few times she went in heat my older male dog (Rebel) has tried to get her pregnant and they had tried a number of times but they never got stuck." it sounds like you DO WANT to get your dog pregnant .

If you don't, please get your pets altered ASAP.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I think everyone's intentions are good here casfaa and are all giving you sound advice.

Everyone is advising you to get your dogs fixed in order to promote a long and happy life to your dogs. Best to you.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
You may not have come out and said you wanted her to get pregnant, but clearly you are thinking about it or you would not be worried.

Puppies are a LOT of work. I adopted a dog in 2007 who's previous owners allowed her to get pregnant, a SECOND TIME. And she had a lot of health problems as a result, from severe anemia, poor coat, and a nasty yeast infection which generated a good amount of vet bills. I sacrificed 8 weeks of my life caring for 10 puppies and their rescued mom 24/7. I still have the mom and also adopted one of the pups.

Are you willing to make that same commitment?

Constantly cleaning poop and pee, going without sleep, trying to keep pups from tearing up your house - because they will. And the smell! Birthing isn't tidy and clean. There's a LOT of fluids involved, and some not-so-nice odors.

You'll be saving yourself a lot of heartache, time, hassle and money just by getting your pets neutered and spayed.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It sounds to me if she is lactating she needs to go to the vet asap. It could be a multitude of other problems including breast cancer.

Please take some time to read through this thread............
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59820
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

When animals go into heat, it's no fun. By not spaying your dog, you are allowing her to go through several very uncomfortable days.

And just because she hasn't gotten pregnant as of yet, doesn't mean it can't ever happen. I've known a great many people who have thought the same thing, and viola!

Please have both of your pets spayed & neutered. They will both be much happier.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Well then I would say that is a sign to get her spayed and your male neutered
Well said.

If you're concerned there "might be a major health issue", to quote you, then going to a vet might also be a good idea.

Cindy
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I also just wanted to add about a common misconception that people have about breeding their dog.

The money.

I think that this is one the of the biggest motivating reasons that people don't spay/neuter, especially if they have a 'beautiful dog' that they believe will produce equally 'beautiful pups' that people will pay for.

The truth in the matter is that there is little to no money in breeding. Not only are there countless vet bills to ensure a safe pregnancy for your dog - but don't forget about the money you need to spend on vet bills after the pups are born. Not to mention if anything (heaven forbid) goes wrong, which it usually does. A lot of first-time 'moms' also don't have a clue what to do with the first few puppies as they're born, which means YOU have to be there in order to clean the puppies, cut chords, etc. Money needs to go into ensuring that your female is well fed, vitamins, etc. before the puppies are even in this world - and continue doing so after she's had the puppies. The puppies need special food, and a mom can often have up to 9 puppies are more - they go through food FAST in a very short time.

The cost of breeding a dog really does not bring you any money at all, by the time everything is said and done.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others that a vet visit is in order. If you bitch is lactating and not pregnant it could be sign of trouble. While you are there you should have her spayed. She will be much healthier for it. Just because she is a beautiful mutt does not guarantee her offspring will be equally beautiful. In good consciensce breeding your beautiful girl is not something you should be considering.
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I'm a softy

Well I sure as heck cannot say anything nice so I guess I better not say anything at all them!! Don't know how others didn't!! My tounge HURTS from biting it!!!
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
-

Quote:
so if you do not have anything nice to say about it please be polite and don't say anything at all thank you.
First of all , everyone was extremely polite !!! And they did give you advice : spay and neuter your dogs. And start with the female , she needs to see a vet.
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Skylar's Farm

It does sound like Ruby is stuck in a false pregnancy routine.....this is not a good thing at all.
She really needs to be checked by a vet, and if she is not healthy enough to be spayed at this time, then at least have your male neutered so that he stops bothering her.
I hope that you love your doggies enough to take care of this dangerous situation.
Best wishes.
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Oh my :sad: I feel so sorry for Ruby and Rebel, they really need to get proper vet care and also need to be spayed and neutered.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I agree with everyone else.it's time for your girl to get vet checked and both your pups spayed and nutured for health reasons alone.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Compromised account

I am not going to be so nice, so people who don't wish to be offended - please don't read on.

I think you are irresponsible pet owner, that not only neglects their pets, but also actively trying to add to the over-population of pets, specifically dogs. I wish you would go and spend a week in the closest shelter, that would be even more effective if it was a high-kill shelter. Then come back and tell us how you feel about breeding your pet.

Numerous people on this board deal with that reality EVERY DAY. Trying to save pets from being gassed or put to sleep, plainly said so you'd understand - murdered. All for what? For people like you that are irresponsible and don't know any better. For people, who buy cute puppies, who later grow into weird-looking mutts, unwanted mutts. Which in turn get thrown into cages and later given a lethal shot and dumped...

If you think that by mouthing off you will have people back off - you are sadly mistaken. If you SOMEHOW have a valid reason to keep your MUTTS unaltered - please, let's hear it. They are not even pure-bred, for crying out loud, not that that would give you any justification about breeding dogs!!!

I feel sorry for your female dog, who is caught in this vicious cycle, I feel sad for your male dog, who is only following his instinct, and I feel enraged for possible puppies, who may be born in this situation. Unnecessary and easily preventable situation.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm a softy

thank you Jennie! that was a VERY polite way of saying how we feel.

Something bothers me in the original post by the OP, she did not say it was only this dog. She said her female has not been able to get pregnant by ANY of the males. Obviously, actively trying to get her dog to breed. And to the OP judging by your comments I am not sure you know enough to be breeding dogs. What is the reason you want puppies? If you don't want to breed her why are you having her kept un spayed, and around un altered males?

This is not just about breeding either. Your dog is obviously showing signs of needing medical care, and that at the least is something you should be providing her, when you got her, from whatever BYB you got her from, you took on the responsibility of being her caregiver, her protector and her friend. You should not take these commitments so lightly. That is all she is asking for from you. But already she is giving you everything she has in return. It is not fair and it is not right, I can only hope that you learn something and the way you care for your dog changes for the better from this day on.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

In your profile you have yourself listed as a worried 17 year old. That explains a lot. You probably are not aware of the pet explosion/over population. That is why it is very important you educate yourself before making a decision on breeding; mutts or pure bred pups.
Please, for the sake of your dog, get her to the vet as soon as you can. She needs to be checked. Her life could potentially be on the line.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Molly's mama

I will not try to articulate my anger and frustration at this point, luckily people like JennieV, Bailey, and Ceara were able to convey my feelings exactly.
Please bring your dog to the vet for a check up, and a spay.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I never said that i wanted to get my dog pregnant...
No? What the heck to you think will happen if you let two unaltered dogs together when the bitch is in heat? They're going to have a little fun but remember to practice safe sex? This situation is exactly how a couple of my rescue pups came into being. Guy had unaltered dogs, then "oops she's pregnant but I don't really want to be bothered with puppies", so mom gets dumped at a rescue just 3 days before giving birth. Nice

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Well.

I doubt the OP will be posting again. While I agree that her dogs need to be altered, she really wasn't offered much valuable information but instead recieved a lecture from a bunch of people who have never met her.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Omitting the first part of your comment and focusing on your wondering if this is a major health issue. Judging by your very first post to this forum, I would suspect that Ruby's lactating for no reason is a sign that she is in most need of vetinerary care.

If you claim that she is the most beautiful dog and you care for her as much as this statement, then medical attention should be first and foremost. Set the puppy bearing stage aside and save your beautiful girl.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Well.

I doubt the OP will be posting again. While I agree that her dogs need to be altered, she really wasn't offered much valuable information but instead recieved a lecture from a bunch of people who have never met her.
Well, I think she did and that was to get her dogs altered, in other words, go to the vet.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Well.

Well I didn't lecture but instead gave an account of what it was like dealing with a litter of pups from a larger breed dog, and how hard it is, especially if someone isn't properly prepared to deal with pups like I was when I adopted a pregnant dog.

And not many people know this, but I received a LOT of un-requested advice from people on here in PMs about what I should and shouldn't do about the situation. And honestly that's why I stopped posting here for several months. Some people at first even thought I was to blame that the dog was pregnant. Then I got lectured about how I shouldn't choose two females or even two pups from the same litter to adopt. Most PM messages were condescending and talked to me like I was 5 years old. But there were some nice ones too.

So really all the posts here were extremely mild compared to some of the lectures that I got.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; April 15th, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well.

Well.

I would hardly call giving advice lecture. All intentions were good and some just do not and will not beat around the bush....and quite frankly I think that is the most honest approach. Will the OP come back, I highly doubt it because she was insulted from the get go.

As far as getting lectured - I think it was pretty darn tame.

To the OP - if you read this, please research overpopulation. Why not volunteer at your local animal shelter - seeing is believing. I am confident that you will understand and will do the right thing.
Closed Thread