Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old November 17th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Cool Dances with Wolves (okay, walking actually)

After 2 solid days of 90km winds, last evening the winds had calmed down. We had a hazy almost full moon so I hooked up the two little dogs for their evening walk down our rural road. We were about 1 km from home when the eerie howling of the wolves started. While the road is lined with a substantial amount of bushland, there are also large fields and we were very close to one of these...which I think, is where the wolves were having their 'evening howl.' I probably should have been a bit frightened, but to tell the truth, I found it to be exhilarating. I have been having a few down days (work related mostly) so this display of primal nature...just gave me a boost. The little guys, barked, but they weren't really spooked, so we continued on our walk.
I arrived back home, hooked up Jazz and Cricket, and we did our walk (same route) Unfortunately, no more wolves howling...but I'm looking forward to more of the same as the fall progresses to winter.
On another 'walking' note, I realized that having Jazz and Cricket on a joiner, particularly while walking where we might have wildlife encounters, is not a good thing. So I've put them on individual leashes again. At least this way, should I need to release them for whatever reason, they are separated.
and Dusty, being as good as his DNA will allow
oh...and the cats, Rex & Lucky
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'
Old November 17th, 2005, 02:06 PM

That's really crazy. I've never heard a wolf before. I've heard crickets- does that count for primal nature?

Separate leashes is a good idea. Beasties get a bit hungrier this time of year.
Old November 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

What a great experience,wolves are beautiful creatures and the eerie sound of them howling in their own habitat(not a Zoo :sad: )must be wonderful.I envy you,but I would hold my dogs really close.
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Oh my god! Wolves! The house we are trying to buy at the moment is in the woods and the agent, who lives in the area, told us that there are coyotes in the area. Very cool, a little scary, but very cool. There are also deer, two ran across the road in front of us as we were leaving. Wow, if we get this house, we'll have wildlife!!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

We have Coyotes that come up to the back fence and start howling It's okay when your n the house but is really frightening when your outside!!
It's funny though the have never set foot on the property, they always stop at the fence.

We lived in farm country for awhile, and have seen and heard wolves! My brother had them circle him one winter evening while walking in the woods, he could hear them howling all around him We went back to that spot in the morning and sure enough saw their footprints in the snow!! But they normally VERY shy, and fear humans, and know to keep their distance.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~