Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:52 PM

I'm about to sit down and cry. I'm at my wits end

I have a fur baby named Versace. He is a Shih Tzu age 11 months. Since the end of July we have been battling a UTI. The only symptoms was him licking himself after peeing. I took him to the Vet and he was put on antibiotics for 14 days.

On day 9 I took a sample of his urine in to be tested and it showed no change so the Vet switched to a stronger antibiotic which was a mixture of 2. He was to be on this for 14 days. On day 12 I took a urine sample in again and once again it showed only minor changes. At this time they wanted to do an xray, ultra sound and a urine culture. I suggested that we do a urine culture and take it from there. I finished the antibiotic waited 4 days then took in a clean catch urine sample. They sent it out and I got the results about 10 days later. No growth 24 or 48 hours. OK so he doesn't have a UTI so the meds must of worked.

On Friday I noticed that he had what looked like a drop of puss on the end of his penis. I called the Vet and brought him in to be checked along with a urine sample. Here what I saw was normal but the urine showed no blood but some white blood cells and his PH was way up around 10. The Vet gave me a 14 day supply of pills to bring down his PH and said that he didn't believe it was stones but just a very stubborn infection. On Sat the other vet called and said he had another UTI infection and he wanted to try along with the PH lowering pills another try with the strong antibiotic this time for 30 days and a different antibiotic for 15 days to be taken all together.

Here is my take. My puppy won't drink. Nothing I try is working. I bought a Aquababies water bottle and thought this would be good and had this since he was brought home at 16 weeks. I got rid of that and bought stainless steel bowls to put water in (no deep but shallow bowls) he only gets spring water never tap. I have put milk, cranberry juice, bullion, Organic Chicken broth, Ice cubes, orange juice, a splash of lemon juice. Nothing is working. The water is both cold and changed often. I tried putting a treat in the bowl so that he would be encouraged to drink. Hell I even got down and pretended to drink from the bowl but nothing is working. I'm told if he doesn't drink it won't flush the bacteria out of his system. He has never peed in the house since he had this. I'm told that is how many know that their dogs have a UTI but he has never done it. He rings the bell to go out and I take him out. I don't believe it's a blockage because if he does drink he pees a steady strong stream.

I will cook him ground turkey or beef and mix it in with his food ( Dick Van Patten's Natural balance) Treats are fresh carrots or treats that don't have soy, wheat, BHA, corn, red #40,. The food is dry kibbles because he won't eat the can. I have soaked the kibbles with boiled water until they soak up the water then mix in the turkey or beef.

I'm crazy about my baby. He is our first dog in 25 yrs. (we would not have a dog until we had time to devote to him) and now I don't know what else to do.

Please help.