Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 8th, 2009, 11:15 PM

Just got a 2nd baby dog, anything I should be aware to keep both happy?

We just got a 2nd Pomeranian to keep our other 14 months old company. They're both female, new one is only 8 weeks old.

So far in few hours, they seem to be okay. The older was quite excited and barking at the younger one at the beginning. But now the older one just follow the yonge one whenever she goes around the kitchen. Young one was chewing the toys from the older dog, even brand new toys we gave to the older dog tonight, the older one seems alright with that. The young one also went to the crate we have for the older dog, that was okay too.

The only thing the old one gets excited would be when I picked up the young one, she would be jumping all over. Not sure if she's jealous or just trying to protect the little one? I was told sometimes with the age difference, the old one would try to protect the young one?

This is the first time we have 2 pets, so hopefully they will get along well. So far I know we have to keep 2 of everything - crates, bowls, going out for a walk together, etc.

If there's anything I should do to, please let me know. Thanks.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:20 PM

And tonight the small one grabbed some bites from the big bowl, the older one didn't seem to care. We were afraid the older one might have a bad reaction. Hope that's a good sign!
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM
WOOOOF!

I know that somtimes when you pick up a dog and another dog jumps up it's because they are so interested in the dog you've picked up there like "hey put him down so I can continue to check him out."

The main thing I would try to do is not give all of your attention to the pup, make sure you disperse lots of loving to each dog, not to just one. They will feel left out and some will get jealous.

Akira: Boss lady.
Adam: 110 pound lapdog.
Maximus: Shy guy, but will lick your face off.
Kitty: "PET MEEEEE"
Tig: Chillen.
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:59 PM

when i went from one dog to 2, it was pretty much the same as what your doing. Only my second dog was 5 months older then my first dog. They both tried to get my attention all the time at the same time for about a week. I never had seperate crates for them. They liked it better being together. I put both their beds in the same crate. They share bowls because they just ended up eating out of the same dish anyways. It sounds like your doing a good job : and I also found that having a older dog and trying to potty train a younger dog makes it that much easier! They are like people and will want to have their moments where one wants to be left alone and one wants to play. I just tried to show them that I wasn't playing favourites with the "new dog" It is kind of like having kids and introducing a new baby to the family. That is the approach I took. And when handing out treats I alternated who got the treat first. I don't think the dogs cared but it made me feel better. Also when potty training I took them out together and praised both of them even though one was already trained. I think I took it harder then the dogs.
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Live well, laugh often

I would definately use the two crates. I think it is good to give the dogs seperation at times as you want the pup to bond with you not just the other dog. Make sure to give lots of attention to both dogs. It is great that the older dog didn't object to the younger eating in his dish but I would work at having each dog respect the other's eating space. It makes lots of things easier in the future (think different foods, meds, slow eaters etc) so is a good habit to start early.

Good luck and have fun .
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM

We got our second puppy a month ago and there's about a year and a half age difference between them. At first Pandora (White Shepherd) was jealous and look at us with these sad eyes because she was used to being the only dog in the house. After about a week, she would slowly start to play with Loki (Caucasian Ovcharka) and tolerate him as opposed to just walking away.

We took them to the park to introduce Loki to Pandora's husky friends. Everyone got along fine, but Pandora watched Loki closely and if either of the other two dogs came too close, she was right there. At one point, the people were talking in a group and the bigger dog (Alaskan Husky) came running towards us. Loki was sitting very close to us and Pandora must have thought that he was charging the puppy because she took off with teeth showing and growling and head the husky off. Once he turned away, Pandora was fine again and came to check on Loki.

I think he views her as a mother figure and the way she acts around him, seems like she views him as an adopted kid.

When they play and even if they get a little rough, we don't really interfere because they need to sort things out amongst themselves before Loki gets too strong and we aren't always home to come to someone's rescue. We'll only break them up, if one seems to be getting a little too rough.
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:57 PM

So far they have been doing okay, I'm really surprised the older one is treating the younger one like a baby, giving up all her toys no problem. Today the younger one seems to recognize me much better. I came home for lunch and when I left, they were both looking through the baby gate like they knew me for a long time and didn't want me to leave, that look on their faces was so adorable. I'm just hoping the little one isn't taking advantage of the older one.

Boy, when I pick up the older one, the little one start to jump all over me too. Talking about jeaously. If I put one on each arm, they're okay, I'm glad they're only a few pounds.

I'm sure the older one will definitely take care of the younger sister that's for sure. One thing I noticed though, sometimes the little one will try to pull some hair of the older one for attention or whatever, the older one was getting annoyed and would groan at her. Sometimes she might even bark at her, I just closely watch that and tried not to do anything. According to an earlier reply, this might be good for the younger to know what's enough. If there are other suggestions, that'd be great.

Thanks so far for all your information, much appreciated.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:27 AM

Hmm, I'm not sure if the older one had enough, but starting last night she was trying to be really tough with the little one. If the small one was chasing her down, she would actually try to bite her and growling.
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Just got a

Your older dog is teaching the pup boundaries so as long as she isn't seriously hurting her let the lessons continue otherwise how can she show she's in charge. Puppies teasing, high energy level and sharp teeth can be stressful on an older dog so time-out every now and then would be good. As the pup matures she will learn how much playtime with her companion is enough.
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, the honeymoon for pup is over. Older dog is saying, "You're cute, but you're not that cute! Don't push it!" As long as no one is getting hurt, it's all in the normal course of events. This is how pup will learn canine manners.

One general suggestion I'd make would be to set aside separate training times for each pooch--this will reinforce that you're in charge, plus the time alone with each dog will help them bond with you and look to you instead of just to each other

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Okay, I'll let them settle their own issues then. I got worried because it was so drastic between the first day and now. It was looking scary that the older one would like open her mouth and bite to the little face, I guess that's how she's saying no to the little one.
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our big ol' black lab took the abuse of a setter pup for about 4 weeks and then one day he seemed to snap. It looked absolutely vicious: lunges, teeth, growls--and puppy ran for cover down the hall and under the bed. Yet, when I finally convinced puppy to come out from under the bed, expecting to find blood and need a vet visit, I found no injuries at all!! Luke could have snapped the little blighter in two with no effort, but his 'discipline' didn't leave a mark. That's called 'pulling your punches'.

Puppy treated Luke much better after that

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM

It's been a few days and I'm not sure if they're getting along better, now the older one seems to not as generous anymore. When the younger one grabs a toy, the older one would like to chase after as well. Unless they're trying to determine who's dominant? They also seem to get into a fight more often than before.