Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
banned user

Angry puppy

no matter how many times I put him outside he either pees or poos inside my home. I take him for walks but this little guy is 3 months old I have raised so many puppies and not once have had this issue and yes he is cage trained
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:32 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Might be a good idea to be really strict about feeding times and access to food.
Meaning don't leave food out all day - only during mealtime.

Many dogs tend to want to go 20 minutes or so after eating - so perhaps try taking the dog out then.

For better advice you'd need to describe how you feed the dog, and how the dog poops. (Where do you take the dog to poop? are you with the dog? has the dog ever pooped outside? if so what do u do when the dog poops outside - what do u do when the dog poops inside?)
Hope this may help.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:50 AM

All pups are different... I have learned that, Bestia, my oldest was already paper trained when I got him at 8 weeks, once he was home with us it was literally a few weeks before he got the hang of it, smart cookie he is.

However, this new puppy we have now, he has been home with us for just over a month, and we still have problems, you just need to be very patient; for us we have figured out his routine and schedule, so once we see its time he goes out at takes care of business, but if we miss it he will just let go wherever he is (and I really mean it, he has peed his bed a couple times!!), he still doesn't seem to grasp the concept of walking up to the door and let us know he has to go its frustrating, specially if I compare him to my other dog, but every dog is different and some may just take longer time to learn. He is already 18 weeks, we got him at 11, however, before us, he was never taught to go outside or anything like it, so its all new to him. Not to mention the temperature here doesn't work in our favour right now either

With my older dog every time he went up to the door to go out, after he poop-pee he would get a treat, and that seemed to help, now you don't want to do that for long LOL because our little guy then he just wanted to keep going out the door all the time so we would get treats. That has changed.

You just gotta be patient and consistent.
Old January 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
no matter how many times I put him outside he either pees or poos inside my home. I take him for walks but this little guy is 3 months old I have raised so many puppies and not once have had this issue and yes he is cage trained
See, here might be the problem - does he know what's expected of him when you put him outside?
I strongly suggest you actually take him out and stay with him repeating the "code" words until he goes, then, immediately praise him and give him a good treat. Do this every time he does his business and I'm sure he'll "catch on" in short time.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:36 PM

I'm echoing Mirela here. Housetraining is very simple if you follow a few rules without exception:

- crate train the dog, and use it.
- bring the puppy out frequently to void.
- bring them to a specific area (preferably one where they've peed/pooped before) and don't play with them - make it different than a walk
- use the rule of "afters" - bring them out after they wake up; after a play session; after they eat; after they've been crated. Think of the times you need to use the bathroom.
- when they do go - the second they start to void, give them a very low key 'good pup' - keep it low key as you don't want to interrupt their pee/poop and have them stop and come for pets. When they finish the pee/poo, you can give them lavish praise and a treat. Giving them the low key cue marks the behaviour so they can relate the later big fuss to the right action.
- supervise them always until completely house-trained
- crate if you can't supervise until completely house-trained
- never ever punish an accident, even if you catch them right after. If you catch them IN THE ACT (just starting to pee/poo) do not correct them (you may instill in them the incorrect association that you don't want them to pee/poo). Make sharp noises, clap, say "AH AH AH!", whatever; not threatening, just very interrupting, and get them outside right away.
- every time you have an accident in the house, find a piece of newspaper, roll it up tight, and slap yourself on the wrist for not supervising.

Some dogs are a bit slower to pick up on it than others, but it's usually just getting what it is you want. ie that first pee/poop may take a while. If you're doing the above, once they happen to do the right thing once or twice, they usually do really well at it after that.

Good luck!
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggirl View Post
- every time you have an accident in the house, find a piece of newspaper, roll it up tight, and slap yourself on the wrist for not supervising.
LOL... love it

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I would not leave a puppy outside too long it could be too risky , there are more wild animals living near cities and town today. A coyote came right to my dog and me sniffed my dog's cute little butt and we live in a city.
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Yes, coyotes pick off dogs and cats like flies. I did landscaping in the country and will never forget this couple who was so happy they finally got to buy their two elderly hounds the country property they always wanted to provide them. The dogs, who had lived their lives together, were killed together by coyotes shortly after they moved into their country home, during the day, not far from the house, while the owners were outside. So sad.
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggirl View Post
Yes, coyotes pick off dogs and cats like flies. I did landscaping in the country and will never forget this couple who was so happy they finally got to buy their two elderly hounds the country property they always wanted to provide them. The dogs, who had lived their lives together, were killed together by coyotes shortly after they moved into their country home, during the day, not far from the house, while the owners were outside. So sad.
That is very sad. I saw on the news a few months ago a woman lets her small dog out to pee on it own then she heard her dog cry and when the woman got outside a coyote had the dog in his mouth. The dog was poor dead. What got me really upset the woman was going to sues the city for not doing something about the coyotes and the woman knew there where coyotes coming around her house. Hawks can pick up small dogs too, it is not wise to let a small pet outside along when wild animals are know for looking a 'meal' in people back yards.
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:01 PM
banned user

Thank you

I feed him a little in a.m. but before that he goes outside for pee. I allow him as much water first thing and then remove for remainder of day. Now Moses when he pee outside always give praise when I catch him doing inside I take him by scruff of neck and say Bad. When he poo outside I praise him, unfortunately I have not been able to catch him when he does this inside. In any case I always praise him when he does either on our walks with his brother. I caught him pee indoors today he had been reprimanded then we all had gone for a walk and both did busisness and both received praise. I have never had such problems with this ever. Always have been able to train within one week. I figure because as puppy previous owner did not allow them indoors and all were born before snow fall so business outside had been normal for them this could be why I am having such difficulty. I now take both 3 times per day.
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I take him by scruff of neck and say Bad
a reprimand is enough if you catch him in the act. You do not need touch him a verbal reprimand is all that is needed.
Three times a day is not nearly enough for a puppy.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I now take both 3 times per day.
only 3 times a day? for a puppy I don't think that enough, even my adult dog goes out about 5-6 times a day...
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I feed him a little in a.m. but before that he goes outside for pee. I allow him as much water first thing and then remove for remainder of day. Now Moses when he pee outside always give praise when I catch him doing inside I take him by scruff of neck and say Bad. When he poo outside I praise him, unfortunately I have not been able to catch him when he does this inside. In any case I always praise him when he does either on our walks with his brother. I caught him pee indoors today he had been reprimanded then we all had gone for a walk and both did busisness and both received praise. I have never had such problems with this ever. Always have been able to train within one week. I figure because as puppy previous owner did not allow them indoors and all were born before snow fall so business outside had been normal for them this could be why I am having such difficulty. I now take both 3 times per day.
Do you mean your puppy only get water once a day? If so that is not enough
water and when he finally does get water to drink he could drink too much and is not good . This may be why he having accidents in the house , the poor puppy could be so thirsty dying for water. There is no need take your puppy by the neck when he has an accident , he will only learn to be fearful of you and nothing else.
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:41 PM

Wow. Not sure where to start.

Please don't take this personally, but you are making a lot of mistakes. Reading your post, I'm not sure how you managed to housetrain dogs prior. I'd say you got very lucky and they learned despite your handling and not due to it.

I'm just being up front and I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but you asked for advice.

Puppies need access to water more than once a day. In fact they should not be denied water at all. This is not just inappropriate, but it fits the criteria here for a cruelty charge - and it takes a lot for a cruelty charge. A dog must have access to water.

Puppies cannot go 8 hours (a minimum he's being expected to hold it based on 3x out per day) without being let out. An unhousetrained puppy 12 weeks old should be taken out hourly. Yes, I'm serious. I'm actually almost speechless at the idea of a pup 12 weeks old being taken out 3x a day. The rule of thumb for a pup being left alone is about an hour per month of age, in large part due to bladder/bowel needs - so even a HOUSETRAINED pup should be taken out every 3 hours MINIMUM.

Again, not personal - but these are the objective facts - you've set him up to fail, by not taking him out anywhere near enough for him to figure out what this whole housetraining thing is. He has no choice but to void in the house because he's not being taken out enough. The worst part is when he does, you are punishing him for going. This is a 12-week-old puppy. He has NO IDEA that you are upset that he went in the house. He had no choice. You are messing up this poor guy's head big time, because if he even has any clue that your punishments have anything to do with his peeing/pooping (which is very likely he's NOT), he is going to think that going to the bathroom is what pisses you off. Know what happens to these dogs? I get calls from the owners when the dog is 7,8 months old and the owners have had it. The dog "cannot be housetrained", they swear. It's not them, it's a dog that just won't get it. The dog constantly sneaks off and pees/poos in the house. Why? Because all the dog knows is they get punished for pooping and peeing. They have not been shown properly what you want from them - do your business outside - so they have no idea why they're being punished. All they know is poop/pee means they get punished (and yes, it does hurt their psyche - these dogs are almost always riddled with confidence problems, insecurity, anxiety, and sometimes straight up fear of people). These dogs are hard to train as a result of the psychological effect of being punished during the sensitive stage for peeing and pooping. It's terrible for them. They have to pee/poop. They have no choice.

I've told you how to housetrain, above. The number one cause of euthanasia for dogs under 18 months of age is behavioural problems. This is exactly how it happens. I hope you are open to advice, because this is so unfair to this puppy. And please, stop denying him access to water. I don't know why you are pulling it, but if it's because of his housetraining, this is NOT the way to do it. He is probably spending a good chunk of his day in distress from thirst, if not dehydrated.

I'm willing to advise, if you want it.
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:51 PM

I should add too that I know dog behaviour and body language, and I KNOW that a lot of these dogs, on top of what I said above, are also subject to anger and harsh punishment if not abuse by the people. I know human behaviour too, and it's not hard to spot someone who has come to really resent their dog. It is only natural to an extent, because for some people, it's the ultimate insult or sign of "F you" from a dog, to take their property and pee/poop on it. Even if the people can hide it, the dog tells all. A good trainer/behaviourist can tell a lot about what a dog has experienced and even often when he's experienced it, by his behaviour. I know that a lot of these dogs are viewed as ignorant spiteful jerks by their owners and they pay. It's so horribly tragic, because it is NOT THE DOG'S FAULT. It is HUMAN error. These dogs if they're lucky, make it to a trainer like me who knows what time it is and can reach the owners (believe me, it's a lot easier to deal with the dogs than the people. Many people are only interested in hearing what you have to say if you're telling them yes your dog is very bad, and you've made no mistakes! Many have zero interest in hearing that they've made a mistake, even when you take great pains to let them know you're not judging them). But most often, they end up in a shelter or pound and euthanized, gassed, or heartsticked. Or if their owners choose, to be brought to the vet and euthanized there.

The number one cause of death of dogs under 1.5 years of age is behavioural problems. This scenario is far, far too common, and is really serious stuff.