Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 31st, 2011, 11:47 AM

Question Declawing my cat - 4 Paw

So I've had my cat about 2 years now, she is about 5 years old, a little overweight, and has always been an indoor cat. I also live in an apartment complex on the second floor so she has no way of escaping to the outside (plus she freaks out if she ends up in the hallway and runs back inside). She also rubs her face up against the corners of furniture to scratch. She is also my only pet.

The problem I have been having recently involves her sleeping right by my face at night, sometimes I know she is there and sometimes she'll end up there in the middle of the night without me knowing. I like that she is friendly and likes to cuddle up right next to me, but a recent incident has made me feel afraid to fall asleep or stay asleep without waking up at night. One night I suddenly felt a sharp pain, my cat jumped down from near my face where she was sleeping, and I woke up with a deep, terrible gash on my forehead because for some reason or another, she got scared, perhaps was about to fall off the bed, or I flinched while I was sleeping and scared her, and either her front or back claw latched onto my forehead. There's a scar there now that will never go away.
What worries me is that she has been doing this recently and unexpectedly(or I just notice it more now that I was injured) and has come centimenters from gouging out my eye and permanently blinding me.
I feel bad because I keep pushing her off the bed when I miss sleeping next to my kitty, and if cat declawing doesn't change her personality toward me - pushing her off the bed definately will.
I can't lock her in a room at night (unless it's the tiny bathroom) because I live in a studio apartment, and yet that is still just as bad as pushing her off the bed. I do trim her claws regularly but that wouldn't make a difference because of the pressure that she uses to grasp on will go through my eye anyway. I'm sure cat claw caps will go through my eye too, and she'll probably eat them anyway.
I also tried to sleep with a eye mask on but I wake up and its off.

I used to have a different cat and we had his front paws declawed (but he was younger) and never had a problem with him and his behavior. He just didn't want you to touch his front paws ever after that.

The reason I'm writing this is that I do feel bad having her back and front declawed, or declawed for that matter, I read reviews and most people are so against it - saying that there is absolutely no reason for it. I think my vision is a good enough reason here, and I don't know what else to do.

Do you think she'll be alright? Maybe someone with a cat that has a 4paw declaw can tell me how their cat is?
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cat declawing is a cruel and possibly life long painful experience. It is actually illegal in many countries in Europe. Have you tried having her claws clipped short by your vet or vet tech? I find they can cut them short enough that they can't climb a post.

If you feel you can't sleep with your cat because you are scared, please try to re-home her or lock her out of your bedroom.

http://www.declawing.com/
http://www.laziblues.com/articles_facts.html

http://www.catscenterstage.com/declawing.html

http://www.bptanimalcontrol.com/resp..._pet_ownership

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:43 PM
Skylar's Farm

I understand that you have been traumatized by your cat clawing your face, but also try to understand that declawing your cat puts her at a trauma that will be much worse.
Imagine having all your fingernails removed because you accidently poked somebody near their eye. It's crazy.
I've had to get used to sleeping with my door closed since I had open heart surgery and my cat was not allowed to jump on my chest or startle me. Granted, that your studio apartment will be hard to arrange a separate sleeping area, but try to stay calm and figure out a plan that does not involve declawing.
Good Luck !
Old October 31st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Willing cat servant

Declawing is an amputation. Like amputating your fingers up to the first phalanx or joint. It's not just claw removal and it could have other side effects like back problems for the lack of their daily scratching exercise among other things.

I'm going to give you a very good alternative and cruelty free:
It's called "Soft Paws" or nail caps

You can get them at any local pet store and they even come in many colors
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
Declawing is an amputation. Like amputating your fingers up to the first phalanx or joint. It's not just claw removal and it could have other side effects like back problems for the lack of their daily scratching exercise among other things.

I'm going to give you a very good alternative and cruelty free:
It's called "Soft Paws" or nail caps

You can get them at any local pet store and they even come in many colors
Those look pretty soft and non-scratchy

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 31st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Willing cat servant

I know right? And even pretty There's no excuse to declaw these days.
Now I really hope the user reads this before it's too late for the kitty.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydeeohed View Post
So I've had my cat about 2 years now, she is about 5 years old, a little overweight, and has always been an indoor cat. I also live in an apartment complex on the second floor so she has no way of escaping to the outside (plus she freaks out if she ends up in the hallway and runs back inside). She also rubs her face up against the corners of furniture to scratch. She is also my only pet.

The problem I have been having recently involves her sleeping right by my face at night, sometimes I know she is there and sometimes she'll end up there in the middle of the night without me knowing. I like that she is friendly and likes to cuddle up right next to me, but a recent incident has made me feel afraid to fall asleep or stay asleep without waking up at night. One night I suddenly felt a sharp pain, my cat jumped down from near my face where she was sleeping, and I woke up with a deep, terrible gash on my forehead because for some reason or another, she got scared, perhaps was about to fall off the bed, or I flinched while I was sleeping and scared her, and either her front or back claw latched onto my forehead. There's a scar there now that will never go away.
What worries me is that she has been doing this recently and unexpectedly(or I just notice it more now that I was injured) and has come centimenters from gouging out my eye and permanently blinding me.
I feel bad because I keep pushing her off the bed when I miss sleeping next to my kitty, and if cat declawing doesn't change her personality toward me - pushing her off the bed definately will.
I can't lock her in a room at night (unless it's the tiny bathroom) because I live in a studio apartment, and yet that is still just as bad as pushing her off the bed. I do trim her claws regularly but that wouldn't make a difference because of the pressure that she uses to grasp on will go through my eye anyway. I'm sure cat claw caps will go through my eye too, and she'll probably eat them anyway.
I also tried to sleep with a eye mask on but I wake up and its off.

I used to have a different cat and we had his front paws declawed (but he was younger) and never had a problem with him and his behavior. He just didn't want you to touch his front paws ever after that.

The reason I'm writing this is that I do feel bad having her back and front declawed, or declawed for that matter, I read reviews and most people are so against it - saying that there is absolutely no reason for it. I think my vision is a good enough reason here, and I don't know what else to do.

Do you think she'll be alright? Maybe someone with a cat that has a 4paw declaw can tell me how their cat is?
Maybe you should read the links L4H posted about declawing and how it affects the cat. You seem to be describing only one incident that happened after having her sleeping with you for 2 years. I'm sure your kitty was terrified at your reaction especially if she was already scared by something. Why don't you try putting a pillow beside your face so she can't sleep there. In other words try to get her to sleep against another part of your body.

In this day and age with 'soft paws' available, no one should have to consider declawing their cat. It also prevents them from damaging furniture or doing anything destructive with their claws. If you can't put them on your kitty, your vet will do it, as most vets do. I hope you decide not to declaw your cat and come back to read what has been written here about declawing. Good luck with a solution, I'm sure you'll find one that doesn't involve declawing.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I know exactly how you feel and how you are afraid. We have a former feral who, inexplicably, gets frightened once in a while and attacks me in bed at night. If you could see my scalp through my hair I bet I have scars. I do have a scar on my arm where she bit me. The big scratch across my cheek healed without leaving a mark but it took months. My cat isn't falling either, it's deliberate, although I do credit fear and one time jealousy as another cat was nearby and, crazy as it must now sound, I belong to this cat.

In a way I guess I am luckier than you as my cat gets wound up while I'm awake, apart from one time, and I can see it brewing now. I push her away. RAther rudely too but she always wants a cuddle next time and never shows fear of me after I've dumped her off the bed.

Funny, I've never thought of having her declawed. I've learned to watch and have become sensitive to her footsteps on the bed at night. I simply do not allow her to sleep near my head. She forgives me for pushing her away just as I forgive her for her scratching and biting.

Try pushing her away. Animals, even cats, are pretty forgiving. Especially if they think you didn't mean it so pretend to be asleep. LOL, but I am serious, give it a try.
Old November 1st, 2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Had an idea. Many cats do not like the smell of citrus. I successfully used citrus potpourri and real orange peels to deter one of our girls from the dining room table and a buffet. So, what about trying sachets of potpourri around the head of your bed? Sort of like woven strands of garlic to deter vampires, only they smell better? Worth a try?
Old November 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Since you can't close a bedroom door, what about hanging something like a mosquito net above your bed and tucking it under your mattress while you sleep so that your cat can't get up close to your face?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Alot of cats like the comfort of an area that is covered. You can either buy something animal oriented that is cozy and covered (like somesort of cat bed or a cat tent). Or you can take a box, cut out an open door and put in a nice comfy bedding to line the area.
Try this. It worked for me, and it may work for you.
Declawing is really not a solution at all.
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Obsessed animal lover

Instead of having your cat's toes cut off, why not wear a goalie mask to bed to protection t your face? Declawing is equivalent to cutting your fingers from the first joint. It is not.just the nails, trust me, I have seen it done. And many cats have adverse reactions such as phantom claws or depression because that instinct had been taken away. Wearing an ugly mask is surely worth not having your adorable.kitty go through the pain isn't it?
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Willing cat servant

I wonder if the user will ever come back to see this
I was hoping for the person to see the soft paws suggestion. No one needs to suffer in that case it's a win/win. He/She doesn't get his/her face scratched and the kitty doesn't suffer an amputation.

When will declawing be outlawed everywhere
Old November 5th, 2011, 04:58 PM

The original poster's last visit here was the same day she posted at 5.07 pm so she should have seen the first 3 answers to her thread and nothing more. There isn't much point in continuing to respond to this thread other than to keep a valid option to declawing active for anyone else thinking of declawing their cat.

Tags
cat, declaw, scratch