Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:36 AM

Pale Orange & White, Friendly Cat - Hamilton

Stopped to pet this kitty Wednesday morning on my paper route, thought he had the worriedest eyes I'd ever seen on a cat. I carried on. I see a lot of cats at 4 AM.

Saturday morning saw him again, 8 blocks over on my other route. Thought... ok, you're lost.

He's one of those aggressively affectionate cats, just plunges his face into your hand and rubs his body against your legs constantly. He looks more content and relaxed now, with food, water, and a soft place to sleep in the garage. Can't stay there though.

Someone must be missing this total sweetheart. Not declawed, drooping belly, neutered male, didn't look too skinny, so maybe lost no more than a week or so.

Found around W5th and Mohawk.
Attached Images

Last edited by marko; July 14th, 2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She looks like a sweet little thing, lakemacpherson!

Have you contacted the vets and the shelters in your area to see if they've gotten any reports of missing cats?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Have you contacted the vets and the shelters in your area to see if they've gotten any reports of missing cats?
That's a lot of vets to contact. Big city. And lots of folks use less expensive rural vets, so her doc could be in Hick Valley for all I know.

Animal Control runs the official lost & found here. Funny that when you report a found pet, they simply ask for your address, then inform you a van will be by shortly to pick it up. Upon further enquiry, one learns they hold a cat for 72 hours before deciding to euthenize it or put it up for adoption.

And upon further investigation, it appears a lost cat who isn't claimed within 3 days faces a rather dire outcome, as illustrated in this link:
http://www.thespec.com/article/223247

Although that's an old link. She did say euthenized or adopted. Perhaps they've improved the situation for the inmates, who knows.

She's still in the garage. I'm here, posting her pic on websites, and rambling on a bit much maybe. Wondering how cat #1, Felis Catus the Magnificent, would take to having a roommate...
Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:43 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi there! I live in the area but just wanted to mention if your dropping the cat off at the SPCA on Dartnall do not take it to the back of the building. That is the Animal Control Services Section and the cat wont stand a chance. The front area is the SPCA.

Another rescue group in Hamilton is awa.xux.net they may be able to give you some advice as well.

What a cutie...good luck!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

omg City of Hamilton Animal Control is such a bad shelter. I worked there years ago...for a total of a day lol...(and that was enough) I walked out. It was disgusting, the cages, how the animals were kept. Meanwhile, you walk in the offices and they have like $20 000 of computer equipment.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:12 PM

Thanks Winston. The cat won't be going anywhere near Dartnell, not by my doing anyway.

So I learned today that most orange and orange/white cats are male. Sure enough, it's an un-neutered tom. Wow was I wrong. Other clues:

- no visible scars, ears are perfect
- lots of hair tufts between the pads on his feet
- lack of visible jowls
- hair is in great shape, no matting
- cat is not skinny
- he can be easily picked up, and turns into limp purring machine when slung over the shoulder. He had no problem being handled by my 2 year old niece.

These things make me think it's a young male who grew up indoors, and had plenty of human contact. It's been lost at least 3 days, but no one is looking for it yet. I'm thinking it started getting too aggressive with the jowl rubbing, maybe even started spraying, so it was abandoned.

I'll give it a couple more days. I really don't want it spraying in the garage. I don't mind releasing it again, it's a better option than (shiver) Dartnell Rd. It escaped earlier, and proved it's ability to fend for itself by quickly catching, and eating the head of, a small bird.

But I'll certainly have it neutered first, and am trying to find someone who can help finance that. I'll try AWA as well, thx for the link.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
omg City of Hamilton Animal Control is such a bad shelter. I worked there years ago...for a total of a day lol...(and that was enough) I walked out. It was disgusting, the cages, how the animals were kept. Meanwhile, you walk in the offices and they have like $20 000 of computer equipment.
*nods gravely*

I lost a cat a couple years ago (got her back 15 days later), and visited that "shelter" almost every day. It's so heartbreaking seeing all those kitties locked up, knowing 99% of them don't have a chance.

WHY don't people take more responsibility for their pets grrrrrrr.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/

Takes a while for an appointment I think but worth a shot....if you can travel.

Good Luck and thanks for not throwing it back out on the street. Maybe someone will put up a sign in a few days?? sad isnt it.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I would contact Burlington Humane - http://www.burlingtonhumane.ca/ (no kill, good reputation)

Give them a call. They can handle the neuter and I bet they can find a hoime for such a friendly cat!

Good luck
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:06 PM

Nobody is looking for this cat. Such a shame, he's really a cool cat.

Funny, this morning someone in the area had a litter box out by the curb for garbage pickup. It was loaded with urine and feces, obviously not cleaned regulary. Makes you wonder... what happened to the cat who used it?

So AWA of Hamilton is going to put him up for adoption. I take him to the vet on Monday for neutering etc. Then he'll convalesce back in the spare bedroom until the end of the month. After that, I can't care for him, so hopefully they have space for him somewhere, and he gets adopted soon.

I've known a lot of cats, and this guy a top quality dude. He really deserves a good home.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey you must live or deliver near me! I saw the litter box this morning! just up the street from me and wondered ???

There was a kitten picked up on the weekend infested with fleas crying at the house across from me...poor thing didnt look more than 5 weeks old to me...Anyway the wonderful lady from Animal Control said "at least he has a chance now!" so true! (only because it was a kitten though! as they are a high kill location)

I am so glad AWA is gonna help! they are the rescue I collect donations and do stuff for! woo hoo! they are a great! just a couple of people and a few volunteers! Its great you can foster for a bit too because the vets charge AWA for their stays when they have to board them!!

Let us know the name he is given! hope he finds a home soon!

My 2 cats were rescued by AWA 14 years ago from a guy feeding them to a snake!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
My 2 cats were rescued by AWA 14 years ago from a guy feeding them to a snake!
Rescued cats are da bomb! Adult cats are better anyway, cause you can see what the personality is like. It's also cool the AWA gives a 2 week adjustment period, to make sure it's a good match. Good people!

This stray had fleas, so I applied some Advantage I had. Can't see any fleas after 2 days, so I moved him into a spare bedroom as it's so hot out. I must admit I've had a nap or two in there with him, and he snuggles right up close, with his paw slung over my leg like he's relaxing with a cool beer on a patio. Haha, makes me laugh. Cats rock! (dogs too, but especially cats)
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Oh, kittah says hai!
Attached Images

Old July 6th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a question. Have you checked the Spectators lost and found?
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
Just a question. Have you checked the Spectators lost and found?
Yes, as far back as I had them. And placed an ad myself. Same with Mountain News. Also checked way back on yourclassifieds.ca. I also posted a report on petlynx.net and every active pet forum I could find. And since I'm in the area every morning, I keep an eye out for posters and flyers. I believe my efforts have been exhaustive, other than hanging flyers myself. No one is looking for this cat, and he hasn't been lost very long, judging by the tufts of fur between his paw pads and overall condition.

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:02 AM

OH BUddy is sooooo cute

Hope he makes it home, old or otherwise!
Thanks for lookin' out for him!
Old July 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

There was an ad in todays spec in the lost & found section looking for an orange male not fixed...further from you but certainly west. Thought you may want to see...males can travel a very far distance if they smell an unfixed female so I guess its possible?

How is the big fella anyway?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Just got him back from the vet... and he IS fixed. No microchip though. I've placed new ads with the updated info. He's also around 5 years old.

He's such a mild affectionate oaf, but reacted really badly at the vet. So bad that they thought he was feral and unadoptable. Later at home I picked him up and he put his paw on my chin, purring away, giving me mad winky eyes. I had to laugh. No way this cat is feral. Plus wild cats are always looking around for a way to escape, and he's quite content in his spare bedroom.

I think he's just scared of other cats, and there were a couple wandering around the vet's. I'm sure he saw at least one, and smelled them, no doubt. He went into defensive mode, then the lady there went and poked around in his privates without even the benefit of a hand sniff. I think a little bedside manner would have gone a long way. I might have reacted the same way, to be honest.

Anyway, he's all de-flead, de-wormed, and vaccinated, and no FLV. He's now adoptable from AWA, although I'm still placing ads. Since he's neutered and so affectionate, someone must be missing him.

The trouble, I think... is he may have been lost for a couple weeks, and most people stop looking by then, figuring he's dead. I'll keep trying.
Old July 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,thank you for helping this little guy,he is adorable
I think orange kitties are very adoptable

For the vet to say,he think's he's feral,was ignorant,my cats hate to go in the car,to go to the vet,howl all the way,even try to scratch and bite,does that make my luvbugs feral???No,just scared..
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM

Wow he sure is a beauty. Hopefully he finds his home very soon.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Well, he has his own webpage now. I don't even have a webpage.

http://awa.xux.net/Cats/jordi.html

I've allowed slow introductions with the resident cat, to the point where he wanders the house now (cautiously). Aside from a bit of hissing and several loooong stare-downs, there hasn't been any physical altercations, so they seem to have an understanding, albeit still rather uneasy.

Sure is funny how he backs right down from the resident declawed 15 year old female. He's young, twice her size, and clawed. He could whoop her butt, but I guess he doesn't realize that.
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemacpherson View Post
Well, he has his own webpage now. I don't even have a webpage.

http://awa.xux.net/Cats/jordi.html

I've allowed slow introductions with the resident cat, to the point where he wanders the house now (cautiously). Aside from a bit of hissing and several loooong stare-downs, there hasn't been any physical altercations, so they seem to have an understanding, albeit still rather uneasy.

Sure is funny how he backs right down from the resident declawed 15 year old female. He's young, twice her size, and clawed. He could whoop her butt, but I guess he doesn't realize that.
Mmmm, so what's the chances if they start getting along well that Jordi says where he is?
As for him not wanting to take on the resident cat - most times cats will respect the resident. Especially if they have been neutured. Also - a declawed cat uses teeth. That is their only defense after having their claws cut off. Personally, I would rather suffer cat scratches than bites. Bites go a lot deeper and can cause tons more infection.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Great news on jordi! seems to have an understanding! My 2 babies have a page too! Tabitha & Bomber previously names Buttons and Bows!

Thank you so much again for this rescue! and I have to say a big THANKYOU to Animal Welfare Association for helping out!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 16th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Mmmm, so what's the chances if they start getting along well that Jordi says where he is?
Thing is, I'm just here for the summer then heading back West. And the resident cat's owner doesn't want another cat, she's just humouring my goodwill toward cats. She keeps stressing the 'temporary' nature of the situation. I would LOVE to keep him myself, he's that awesome, but I need to find a place to live first. Who knows, maybe I could send for him after a few months once I'm settled. But finding his owner or another good home would be the ideal.

I brought a cat out West on a plane once. When I picked her up after the flight, she was all messed up. Heart murmer, chest full of fluid, totally got stressed out, I guess, and had to be put down. Sad, sad day. So I'm also a bit nervous about doing that again.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
As for him not wanting to take on the resident cat - most times cats will respect the resident. Especially if they have been neutured. Also - a declawed cat uses teeth. That is their only defense after having their claws cut off. Personally, I would rather suffer cat scratches than bites. Bites go a lot deeper and can cause tons more infection.
Absolutely!!! Sounds like he respects her and that will go a huge way in them getting along

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Thing is, I'm just here for the summer then heading back West. And the resident cat's owner doesn't want another cat, she's just humouring my goodwill toward cats. She keeps stressing the 'temporary' nature of the situation. I would LOVE to keep him myself, he's that awesome, but I need to find a place to live first. Who knows, maybe I could send for him after a few months once I'm settled. But finding his owner or another good home would be the ideal.

I brought a cat out West on a plane once. When I picked her up after the flight, she was all messed up. Heart murmer, chest full of fluid, totally got stressed out, I guess, and had to be put down. Sad, sad day. So I'm also a bit nervous about doing that again.
But that doesn't happen to many cats, who knows about this one

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Mickey, my angel

Jordi is adorable Too bad you couldn't keep him but I can understand your hesitation if you don't even know if you can get a place that allows pets when you move.

Quote:
What a terrible experience. I can understand your being hesitant to try that again. Now cats can even ride in the passenger sections on most airlines but, of course, that would only be if you could take him with you at the time you moved.

If he continues to adapt to the other cat, you might be able to have the "we think he will need to be an 'only' cat" part taken off the ad (that is if you don't keep him yourself). Maybe he just doesn't like getting prodded and poked with needles and might even have had a bad experience at the vet previously. My previous cat, Mickey, and my present cat, Punky, are two examples of cats that are extremely personable and friendly, but when they get taken to the vet they turn into wildcats.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:19 PM

Interesting process to watch, maybe you can tell me if it's going well...

Typically, they'll cross paths, resident will hiss a few times, and new guy does a low soft growl while backing away slowly. They settle about ten feet apart and lie down, staring at each other. Then new guy gives resident a bunch of winky eyes, and resident gets up and walks away.

Translated, I think that means:

Patches: What! You again! Crap!
Jordi: Look, I don't want any trouble.
Patches: I'm gonna sit here and keep an eye on you. Better not move.
Jordi: No worries, I was going to lie here for a while anyway.

Jordi: Hey, wanna be my friend?
Patches: Pffft, whatever.
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

This is an interesting article which may help you determine what level the cats are communicating at. Sounds to me like they are doing fine. Even if there are a few swats exchanged I wouldn't worry too much. It's when there's an out and out fight happening or about to that I would separate them. Hopefully they are separated when no one is around and at night?

http://www.messybeast.com/cat_talk2.htm

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:25 AM

Lightbulb Reuniting pets with their families

So glad you are helping this kitty. I wish you all the best.

Missing Pet Partnership has excellent info on reuniting pets with their families. If more pet owners knew about it, I'm positive more animals would make it back home.

I've seen first hand how some cat owners don't know how or where to look for their missing animals. Many cat owners give up way too easily.

MPP's perspective:

THINK LOST, NOT STRAY

http://www.missingpetpartnership.org...-thinklost.php

"The phrase "THINK LOST, NOT STRAY" was developed by Missing Pet Partnership as means to send out a new message designed to reunite more lost dogs and cats with the families who love them. Our message to the animal welfare industry and citizen rescuers is this: many of the "stray dogs" and "feral cats" that come into your care are actually lost pets with families who would do anything to get their companion animal back home. Before you work to give a found dog or found cat a new home, THINK LOST, NOT STRAY! "

They also say most stray pets have not been abused or abandoned; animal welfare groups promoting that message are hindering people from reuniting with their beloved pets.

Why "THINK LOST, NOT STRAY"

"...With everything working against them, people who lose their beloved dogs and cats need all the help they can get in order to achieve a successful reunion. Lost dogs and cats that are not returned to their families take up valuable space in our animal shelters, no-kill shelters, and rescue groups, or wind up in feral cat colonies. So, the next time that you find a loose dog or an unattended cat, assume that someone loves and is looking for that particular companion animal. Ideally, you should post a FOUND poster in the area where the animal was found, place a FOUND ad in the paper, have the animal scanned for a microchip, and report the animal as found to your local shelter (or transport it to the shelter where the owner can find it, but place a hold on it so you can adopt it if the animal is not claimed). Be sure to read our Found Stray page for more ideas on what to do if you find a stray animal."

Found Stray page - http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/recovery-stray.php

Recovery Tips - Shelter Tip Sheet - http://www.missingpetpartnership.org...ostcattips.php

Missing Pet Partnership - http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/

"Missing Pet Partnership is a national, nonprofit organization dedicated to reuniting lost companion animals with their owners/guardians. Our website offers behavior-based lost pet recovery tips and referrals to lost pet services. We operate the first-ever volunteer lost pet search-and-rescue team (in Seattle, WA) that offers cutting edge lost pet recovery techniques..."

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

If re-homing a cat...

I recommend letting the new owner know that there is help & support available, like on Pets.ca.

Feline Outreach.org has Education resources for all new AND current cat owners. Their goal is to keep cats in homes. Their info can help prevent & solve problems that may lead some cat owners to abandon, relinquish, re-home, abuse, or euthanize their pets. http://www.felineoutreach.org/ A nonprofit group. Extremely important topics include Nutrition (helps prevent & solve urinary, digestive & litter box problems & diseases...) and Inappropriate Scratching info (get facts on declawing as many vets are not disclosing them & aren't discussing alternatives like they're supposed to. Most vets aren't trained to counsel about pet behaviour).
-

We can be part of the problem or part of the solution. Inaction is part of the problem.
Please advocate for animals.