Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Question Great Dane acting odd (eye movement and slightly uncoordinated)- sorry, kinda long!

My great dane, Cleo, is 14 months old. We live on a horse farm, and she's got lots of space to run and play. We have other dogs as well. She eats a mostly raw diet, with some dry food as well.

She was inside for most of the morning as I was running errands. When I came home around lunch, she seemed fine. A bit later, she was heading out of the house at a run and slipped and fell. This isn't the first time, as we have hardwood floors and she's can be excited and not pay much attention She seemed to shake it off ok, and went outside to play.

In the afternoon, I had my blacksmith out trimming horse feet...and she had some trimmings...this is something that all my dogs do and I've never had a problem.

A bit later, I noticed her walking kind of funny...like she needed to poop (sorry, that's my best description). I needed hay from the loft, and she came up the stairs with me. She took them slowly, both up and down, when she normally bounds both ways with enthusiasm. But, she was still running around and playing with the other dogs at top speed, and she seemed to be cornering normally.

Now, about an hour ago, as we were watching tv...I noticed that her eyes and eyebrows are 'twitchy'. I've never noticed this before. I made her sit and gave her a piece of bread, and she focused on it with no movement, but just lying in bed her eyes are moving back and forth. She still ate her dinner and drank water with no problem. With her eyes closed, her eyebrows are still moving, but it doesn't seem to be effecting her sleep.

Anyways, I am most likely going to take her to the vets tomorrow, but should I be more worried than I am and take her to an emerg vet clinic tonight?
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:20 PM

i have no idea of whether you SHOULD take her to the vet tonight for an ER visit, but i do hope everything is OK.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM
-

Hi LadyAird , I'm pretty sure you can wait tomorrow for the vet visit but , you must go tomorrow.

What your great dane has sounds a lot like what mine had months ago. Doesn't mean that it is the same as mine though. It could be as simple as an ear infection. It could also be a result of her bumping her head somewhere , could be vestibular syndrome (like mine was diagnose) or ... brain tumor.

Unless it's an ear infection , the only way to know for sure , your dog would need an MRI. Which is quite pricey.

Nelly was diagnose with vestibular syndrome , she could barely walk (did not have balance) couldn't eat or drink because she didn't have coordination , she went back to herself after 2 days , but it can take 1 to 3 weeks. It may never come back , which I hope it never does as it's not fun to see your dog this way

good luck tomorrow at the vet
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
-

Welcome to the Board!

The symptoms you describe could be soooooooo many things LadyAird. Really, I think you are the best to judge this situation both in terms of your Danes health and your peace of mind.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM

Thanks guys!

She's my first dane, and I love to to bits! I've had dogs and other animals for all of my life, and have dealt with some pretty scary stuff over the years. If she was falling over and couldn't walk...we'd be at the vet's already .

But, it's always nice to hear from others what their thoughts and suggestions are.

Thanks again.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:51 PM
-

Let us know what the Vet says tomorrow. I have serious Dane envy.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Well...this morning she seems much better....no more crazy eye movement! But, I'll still take her to the vets just to get her checked out. I have a feeling it may be an ear infection cause she's shaking her head and scratching at her ears this morning....but, I'll hopefully know for sure in a bit .
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAird View Post
Well...this morning she seems much better....no more crazy eye movement! But, I'll still take her to the vets just to get her checked out. I have a feeling it may be an ear infection cause she's shaking her head and scratching at her ears this morning....but, I'll hopefully know for sure in a bit .
That's great she's doing better. Yep , really sounds like an ear infection

keep us posted and when you can , if you could post a picture of your girl
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Well....just got back from the vets...and she has a slight ear infection in both ears...whew!

Also, my vet said she could have gotten into some rotten veggies or something yesterday that caused her to 'get drunk'...so, good to know my dog may be a lush! lol
Attached Images

Old May 11th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

What a "Beauti" glad it's just a common ear infection.
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, she is a doll, LadyAird! Glad to hear she's on the mend and it was nothing too serious!

Welcome to the board, btw!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAird View Post
Well....just got back from the vets...and she has a slight ear infection in both ears...whew!
very glad to hear that !

ohhhh she's a beauty !
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM

She is SOOOO cute
Glad she is on the mend.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:45 PM
-

Ohhhhhh...you just HAD to post a pic didn't you.

Glad she's on the mend!
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Doggie Wench

Cleo looks like quite the character . What a relief it's just an ear infection!

Now that we know she'll be ok, feel free to post pics of your other pooches and horses too !
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM

I opened this message expecting to read about a senior dog. Your Cleo is a beautiful girl! I am so glad that she only has an ear infection--and I mean that in the best, nicest way. It is treatable and she should have a good recovery!

I experienced vestibular syndrome with an elderly dog and know her actions were very frightening. Sending wishes for a speedy recovery.