Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 20th, 2008, 11:00 PM

How to tell if a dog is debarked.

Just picked up a sweet loving dog from a animal shelter last week.
In the 200 mile drive home, he didn't make a sound. When we stopped for a water break, I stepped on his foot.... not even a yelp. I though he just might be a bit freaked out, big change in going from the street, to the animal shelter, to a Honda trucking down the road at 90
Then kids were playing in the yard next to me when we got home, not a sound... not even the weak cough like sound that they say debarking indicates. The wife said she stepped on his tail last night and he didn't yelp, just let out a big sigh....

We go to the vet Friday for his final shots, and a physical, but was wondering if anyone had a idea on how to tell/test it before then.

Thanks for the input,
Kyle
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Investigative researcher

Debarked dogs usually attempt barking and give you the hoarse cough/whisper bark noise and the action of barking. Debarking does not take away the instinct or desire to bark, just the volume. Your dog likely has a high pain threshold combined with no desire to bark--whether inborn or due to circumstances is hard to tell. One of my dogs is almost nine and she has only barked three times in her entire life.

Your dog is new to you, and will not feel territorial yet, so will have no instinct to bark at neighbours etc. as of yet. You might be surprised a few weeks from now, lol.
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Swift Tribe

that or his previous owners had a bark collar on him, abused him when he barked.... hopefully this little guy finds his voice. id be heart broken if i couldnt make a sound. good for you for rescuing!!! WHERES THE PICTURES!!! please???

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

My American Eskimo puppy did not bark for 3 days - I was worried, but gee, on day 4, a kid tried to run us over with a skateboard - he has been a barking fool ever since - a trait common to Eskies. There is a pug around the corner who has been debarked and you can tell that the procedure has been done - just as described by poster above. Your vet should be able to tell.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

the shelter gave you no indication of his behavior prior to adopting, like "by the way, this dog doesn't bark much"? If I were you, I'd just call them to ask what he was like in their care... if he barked at all, and when.

I agree w/ want4rain though, this dog may have been trained on a bark collar, or may have been abused when he did bark.

could also be the honeymoon period... this is the time when you first get a dog and everything seems great, nice and quiet, easy going, etc.. then a month into it you discover the dog barks like MAD at the postman, or has an affinity for your shoes, or prefers to now sleep on the sofa... it takes time for dogs to settle in, get comfy and show their personalities.

could also be just how he is - not a barker! in which case... ENJOY IT!

congrats on the new furry family member!
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:42 PM

I agree - your dog may have been abused, just settling in or simply doesn't feel the urge to bark. Were you able to observe your new dog in the shelter prior to adoption? If so, was he barking then?

Some dogs just don't bark much. Mine doesn't, hardly ever. When he does you know it though, he has a big strong bark, of a much bigger dog than he is. Instead of barking, he tends to whine...

btw, congrats on your new addition and thanks for adopting a shelter dog!!
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963