Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Cat throwing up

My two cats are long haired and have always thrown up hairballs. My one girl cat seems to have stopped throwing up hairballs in the 4 months she has been on raw. My 12 year old male cat is another story. I'm not quite sure what is happening but I have been off of work for the last week and on December 23rd, 24th and 27th at almost the same time in the afternoon he threw up. It is clear with no hairball. Has anyone had a similar situation when feeding raw. His feeding time is early in the morning - supper time - and before I go to bed. He has been throwing up in the afternoon so I was thinking he may be really hungry? Does anyone have any other suggestions? Should I be worried?

Last edited by Khari; December 27th, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hmmmm, it is obviously not the food because he would vomit shortly after consuming the food.

If he wasn't getting enough, he would be loosing weight. What about some blood work to see if anything is going on with his organs? How about a check to see if there is a furball stuck?

I did have some problems with Sweet Pea's kittens vomiting when they ate raw, but other than that I have had no problems. Because these kittens were fosters, I don't know if the vomiting continued in their new home or not.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
What about some blood work to see if anything is going on with his organs? How about a check to see if there is a furball stuck?
How do I check to see if a furball is stuck? I just gave him some Laxatone just incase it is a hairball that is stuck? Is the clear vomitting a sign of something wrong with his organs? :sad: Kind of got me worried now.

Quote:
I did have some problems with Sweet Pea's kittens vomiting when they ate raw.
I don't think it is the raw food upsetting his stomach because if it was he would throw up after consuming the food. He throws up in the afternoon. Could it be salmonella poisiioning?
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
His feeding time is early in the morning - supper time - and before I go to bed. He has been throwing up in the afternoon so I was thinking he may be really hungry?
How many hours between the morning and supper feeding? It could indeed be related to that. Cats typically eat many small meals a day, and having an empty stomach for extended periods of time is enough to make some cats nauseous. Is there a way to give a mid-afternoon snack, like with a timed feeder or maybe some frozen raw left out to thaw in his dish?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
How many hours between the morning and supper feeding? It could indeed be related to that. Cats typically eat many small meals a day, and having an empty stomach for extended periods of time is enough to make some cats nauseous.
I feed him at around 6am and then again when I get home from work around 4:45pm. He has never had a problem with lasting that long in his 12 years. He also has to wait from 9pm at night until 6am to eat again. With no problem so far....How would one know if the cat has a hairball "stuck" - this could be the problem. I am hoping it may be this simple!
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:20 AM

Could the problem be an allergy? I have been noticing him licking himself more often?? Or it could be me being paranoid

Someone suggested that it might be CRF? I am not familar with this at all. I looked it up on the internet and the only symptom I have seen is the throwing up of clear liquid (so far on Dec.23,24,27)...He has been eating normal (this morning he was begging for his food and was still hungry after I fed him), washroom habits exactly the same, not lethargic??? I will watch him for the next day or so and if he throws up again with no hairball then I will call the vet.