Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Question tactful? way to discuss backyard breeding??

There are 2 people I know who fall under the category of 'good acquaintance'-as opposed to close friend-and have about 2 litters of puppies a year as a result of breeding their own bitch/female and stud (I think they use outside studs at times).

One gal has 2 females now, so she has another litter or 2. Both people have had their dogs hip/eye etc. checked by vets, so at least they're not cranking out pups with health issues from the get-go. The pups are not registered, and they sell for app. $400 ('Steady Eddy' mid-size breeds involved).

These gals are fairly conscientous about selling to approved-type homes; with the number of pups involved, the homes are not scrutinized to the extent I would examine them...then again, I strongly believe that there are already PLENTY of dogs available to aspiring dog owners without MY adding to the mix.

I've been acquainted with at least one other person who did this sort of breeding; it provided her with her 'warm weather holiday' (should that be H***?!) each year. I am curious to know how many BB people might know folks like this, and if you bother letting them know how you feel...and if so, do you have a polite yet 'clear' method of doing so?
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:34 PM
-

Tactful way ? Now that's real hard but I do explain to them what I do (fostering) and why rescues are needed now. Pet overpopulation , people like them breeding and breeding , while other perfectly healthy pets are put to sleep because of shelters are overcrowded ...
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

It's kind of like talking to someone about how they parent their children - it's almost impossible to do it tactfully but sometimes it really has to be done. It sounds like, with these people, since they've been conscientious about some of the issues (selling to good homes, checking health issues, etc), maybe you could point out that you're glad they're taking those steps because many wouldn't. Then ask them how they reconcile themselves to the shelter/breeding issue. If you start with a compliment and phrase the question conversationally, maybe you can steer the conversation into the discussion without it being too confrontational.

Of course, try that tactic with a parent and see where it gets you...
Old November 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Garden nut

People in general are easily persuaded by peer pressure, advertising, and "doing what's right" in the public eye. The public has gotten increasingly effective at policing other people. If it's not cool or makes them look bad and everywhere they go they hear it's bad, then it might have an influence. If telling the facts don't work, then use reverse psychology and act assertive with your opinions.

If only the animal rights people had as much campaign/advertising dollars as politicians!! Ron Paul is generating more money than the Humane Society. The media isn't supportive. CNN won't talk about it unless it generates ratings.

Say things like, "I don't support ________________."
"I don't agree with __________."
"It is my policy to _________________"
"I believe that __________________"

Kind of a mad libs thing going on but you get the idea. If you speak your mind and opinions without blaming, and make it seem like your way is the cool way, then that should definitely plant a seed in their head. If you point out flaws in others, it will just make them defensive and attempt to justify their situation.

Or pull the "meet your meat" style thing, and introduce shelter videos, gassing chambers.. basically holocaust for pets. Sometimes shock value works.

(Meet Your Meat is a video campaign that shows people what happens to meat animals when they are slaughtered, how they are raised and what they are fed. Yucky footage. The chicken farms segment is especially gross. The movie Baraka did a good job too, showing how they treat baby chicks and eggs. Awesome movie - go rent it!)
Old November 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Tough call

I wouldn't suggest coming right out and discussing it as a topic.
You could state things like you're interest in dog rescue and things or say you're doing such and such to help better lives for dogs who've been dumped in shelter/or are donating to a rescue. You can add on that many of the dogs
invovled were originally purchased from backyard type breeders and they wouldn't take the dogs back etc...

Again tough call, no matter what you say it doesn't normally change this
type of persons mind. You could ask questions though saying things like 'what do you do to ensure the dog comes back to you if the person you sell the dog to no longer wants him/her 2/3/4 yrs down the road'