Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Winston needs some prayers and good vibes!

Winston has developed a very large mass sort of behind his shoulder blade and down the side of his ribs. Its a little smaller than a canteloupe.

We went to the vet on Saturday and the vet thinks it is Cancer. Based on some of his symptoms and the exam he is pretty sure it is and not anything like a hematoma.

He has lost 15lbs in this past year. He has started to do an awful lot of panting and has a decreased appetite.

They took 5 needle aspirations to confirm what we expext. I should have the answers tomorrow.

Besides the bad news the vet was impressed with his overall condition. He said he is in really good shape for an almost 13 yr old boy! He also said whatever we have been doing to keep him in good shape to continue with it because for a large breed dog the life expectancy is about 12 yrs old.

Just hoping that the positive vibes and prayers from all of you here may help my boy and me out!

I am trying so hard to stay strong!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Senior Contributor

its hard to stay strong, I'm sending up prayers and nothing but good wishes for Winston and for you!!
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Half Way To Crazy

:goodv ibes:

Winston is a lucky dog to have you
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks guys I appreciate the good vibes! Its been pretty hard the last few days! I know you'll all think I am crazy but I have no children and wont ever and he is like my little boy??

I am a wreck at work but when I go home I try not to let it bother me because I dont want him to pick up the bad vibes!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Chum Mum

Sending you and Winston good vibes and good thoughts. I do not think you are crazy at all...i too have no children and lost my husband to cancer a year and a half ago. Chum is my little boy as well...when they are ailing it is devastating.
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Critter Lover

Sending Hugs, prayers and belly rubs. Please keep us up to date.
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Oh Winston, I am so sorry
I know exactly how you feel. All my hubby and I have are our furkids, and they are our loves, and our life. Cancer is so hard, but depending on the type, there may be some treatment available. One of the most important things you can do for Winston, if it is cancer, is stop feeding kibble of any kind. Even the highest quality will "feed" the cancer. The way kibble is processed allows for it to break down fairly fast and causes a rush of sugar in the bloodstream, which in turn, causes the cancer cells to grow. There are a lot of good holistic herbs that will help him to fight the cancer cells as well. You want to give him the fewest possible carbs. If he doesn't have any tummy troubles, a diet with a lot of salmon and omegas would be the best. Thorin, unfortunately, cannot have it. We give him a little salmon here and there, but even an omega 3 capsule throws him into a nasty bout of colitis, which in turn has caused pancreatitis (last Sept.). If you need some links to cancer diets or forums, let me know. I got a lot of support from those places, along with Dr.'s Marsden and Stelfox

And of course you will both be in my thoughts and prayers. Big hugs to you and Winston
and a lot of

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

from all of is to Winston....
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope the vet is wrong and it's just a big lipoma. I'll have my fingers crossed and hope for that diagnosis instead.
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Darn I lost my post. Anyhow, none of us here will think you are nuts. I have a real life kid and I still think of the grrrls as just more kids. My husband shakes his head because I mostly have to hand feed Shadow these days, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. Winston is your baby and of course you would be devastated, as are we, you and he are part of our family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Pawsitive vibes for Winston. Stay strong, you know you can.
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Winston is your baby and of course you would be devastated, as are we, you and he are part of our family. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
DD, perfect response

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM
owned by Tucker

think positive, hugs, kisses, belly rubs, prayers and good vibes all sent your way for you and Winston...from Tucker and me
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sending all the we can spare, plus crossing all our s and for Winston! Also sending a whole lot of s for you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thank you everyone soo much! I appreciate the comments and we can use all the prayers and pawsitive thoughts you can send.

Rguerts thank you for letting me know that. If it is that then I will have to look at changing it. Winston is a funny dog with food changes and they dont usually go very well but we will do what we have to do! What brand did you feed in the Salmon ? Winston has been on Orijen for years now and he does great on it but I am sure it is way too high in Carbs if thats the case.

I just need to know what I am dealing with and then I can deal with it, its the unknown that drives me crazy because I want instant results!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
, its the unknown that drives me crazy because I want instant results!

Cindy
that's the hardest part is the unknown, and not getting the info right away

but if it means that they will be more throughal (no idea how to spell this word) then it's better if they take their time.

Old August 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm an instant results kind of gal, m'self, Winston! Waiting gives me ulcers, but once I know what I'm dealing with, the stress level tends to level out... Sometimes imagination is the worst enemy, y'know?

you'll get some answers soon.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 16th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you everyone soo much! I appreciate the comments and we can use all the prayers and pawsitive thoughts you can send.

Rguerts thank you for letting me know that. If it is that then I will have to look at changing it. Winston is a funny dog with food changes and they dont usually go very well but we will do what we have to do! What brand did you feed in the Salmon ? Winston has been on Orijen for years now and he does great on it but I am sure it is way too high in Carbs if thats the case.

I just need to know what I am dealing with and then I can deal with it, its the unknown that drives me crazy because I want instant results!

Cindy
Hopefully this will all be a moot point and the diagnosis is not cancer! But, if it does turn out to be, I feed the boys fresh wild pink salmon. I use The Honest Kitchen pre-mix base (dehydrated veggies, coconut, vitamins, minerals etc). It's SO easy. All you do is add water to rehydrate it then mix whatever protein source you want in it. I use cooked ground beef, wild pink salmon and liver. For the salmon it has to be wild caught. The farm raised have ethoxyquin. The best is sockeye because it has the lowest levels of mercury, but I just can't afford the sockeye. It's $12.00+ per pound
I get the wild pink salmon when it's on sale. I have been paying between .39 and .59 per 100 grams

Old August 16th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I am so very sorry to read about Winston,I too am hoping and praying he does not have cancer,but if he does,I know he'll get the best of care and lots of love from you.
He is a beautiful boy and of course you would treat him as your child,although I have human children,I love my cats just as if they were my children.
I will be thinking of you and Winston and sending good vibes and heartful wishes that Winston does not have cancer
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Mickey, my angel

Sending for Winston and for you.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:02 PM
You can call me DOG!

I hear yah on the instant results Winston.

Hoping Winston pull's through with flying colours.

Please keep us posted.

Name:  emoticon-animal-020.gif
Views: 381
Size:  5.2 KB

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 16th, 2011, 09:27 PM

sendiing a whole bunch of good vibes for winston!! for good results!!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old August 17th, 2011, 01:11 AM

I'm sending good vibes out for Winston

Jasmine (2011) you were the sweetest thing in my life. The most loyal animal I could have ever asked for. Thank you for being there with me every step of my undergraduate education.

Missy (October 2008) the most beautiful dog in the world. You carried me through my high school years and I thank you for that.
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:04 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Still generating some and winging them your way, Winston!

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'm so sorry to be reading this and I'm sending out good vibes to you and Winston
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 17th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Okay I am going crazy today! called the vets and the results are still not back! they tell me it should arrive in the next day or two?? I hate being left hanging!!!

You know the old saying no news is good news??? well I am not feeling that way today!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old August 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Half Way To Crazy

stay strong cindy

Old August 17th, 2011, 01:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We get that all the time, too! I wish they'd give us the longest estimate for the return of test results--that way if we heard earlier it would be a plus!! But I hate having to be patient even longer than what they said in the first place.

Hang in there, Cindy, and keep thinking positive thoughts!

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry
Waiting is always the hardest part for me too
Hopefully, when you do hear back, it will be good news

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I guess we would never be happy then eh hazel! if they told me 5-7 days or something like that I would have been pissed off from the beginning so I guess its better for them if we are okay for a couple of days and then get pissed off because there is a delay!

Rguerts I am not very patient with stuff like this....plus its a new vet that I really dont know...it was our first visit with this vet. They also told me the vet only works Saturdays & Tuesdays??? I said huh? I dont want to wait til Saturday?? they said he will call me once the results are in regardless of wether it is Saturday or not??? I can only assume they must be going to call him when they arrive and he will call me?

My mind keeps going in a million directions since I took him in...

I'll check again in a couple of days.....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
I guess we would never be happy then eh hazel! if they told me 5-7 days or something like that I would have been pissed off from the beginning so I guess its better for them if we are okay for a couple of days and then get pissed off because there is a delay!
Yeah, but at least you could gripe about it to take your mind off the fact that you're waiting for results.

Well, with luck they'll give you a call tomorrow and you won't have to call them up and bug them again.