Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 19th, 2009, 02:48 PM

Thumbs up my akita is on heat for the first time - info please

Hi there!

Akita 'pup' on heat - info needed!

I have an Akita who is 8.5 months old. She has just come into heat in the last few days.

I noticed her mood swings and a few days later she has started bleeding.

I need some info on everything to do with Akitas on heat!

How long does it go on for?

How long will she bleed for?

When is she fertile - so I know when to keep her away from other dogs?

Any other info please.

This is the first female dog I have owned so I am new to this development!

Thanks.
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

hey there, I'm not sure of the length of time she's fertile or anything, all my females were spayed by 6 months, did your vet not suggest that when your pup recevied her vacinations? I'm sure there are others on board who can answer your questions for you
Old January 19th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Geek Club CEO

From: http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/conte...d=334&cat=dogs

Sexually mature female dogs (termed bitches) will go through a heat cycle once, or more commonly, twice a year. Each cycle consists of four stages:

Proestrus: Characterized by swelling of the vulva and release of a bloody vaginal discharge. Sometimes the discharge is milky and other times dark red (or somewhere in between in colour). Between bitches, there is a large variation in the length of proestrus, with an average length of 9 days, and a range of 1 to 17 days. This is the "pre-heat" during which the male is progressively more attracted to the female, but the female still rejects the male. This is a high female hormone (estrogen) stage.

Estrus: This phase is often termed standing heat because it is during this stage that the female will receive the male dog. Average length for estrus is 9 days, but again, between dogs there is large variation (range 3 to 21 days). At this point, the discharge may be absent, or perhaps straw coloured. This stage is characterized by an increase in progesterone hormone and an LH (luteinizing hormone) surge that leads to ovulation. Ovulation is the release of the eggs into the oviduct. If the eggs are healthy, they can then be fertilized if viable sperm are present.

Diestrus: At this point, the female usually no longer stands for the male, especially further into the diestrus stage. Vaginal discharge tapers off and the diestrus phase lasts an average of about 60 days. Diestrus begins 6 days after ovulation. Progesterone hormones remain high throughout this phase.

Anestrus: This is the resting phase between the active portions of the cycles. It normally lasts about 5 months.

Veterinarians can perform analysis of the cells of the vagina under the microscope (cytology) to determine the stage of estrus. There is a transition from non-cornified cells to cornified epithelial lining cells at the time of estrus. This reverses 6 days after ovulation.

Veterinarians can also measure progesterone levels in the bloodstream to determine what is happening with the heat cycle. From a base level of 2 nanograms per millilitre before LH release, it rises to 4-9 nanograms per millilitre at the time of ovulation.

According to this article, bleeding can last up to 17 days, and she can be fertile for another 21 days after that. You're going to want to keep her under lock and key for at least 5-6 weeks, if not more, to be safe.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmyakita View Post
Any other info please.

Thanks.
Congratulations on your puppy, I'm sure she is a beauty.

I guess I come from a different perspective. I disagree with the property laws common across the US and Canada ~ I don't own my dogs. They are thinking beings for whom I have responsibility of care.

For me that care includes limiting to the point of removal the ability to reproduce. Please consider the very serious health and societal effects discussed in the links below and spay your beautiful girl.

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/wh..._your_pet.html
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1625&aid=926
http://www.almosthomerescue.org/spay...spayneuter.htm
http://www.askvetadvice.com/medical-...ying-your-pet/
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
I'm a softy

just wanted to add, that many municpialities have laws about dogs in heat, that they are not to be outside period. They must be contained inside the dwelling, or boarded in a boarding kennel. If you do let your dog out and a male is attracted to her ( and they can smell her and come from FAR and wide!!) You will be held responsible... I know that is a little know thing... Anyway you will have to be very careful, as dogs can come from miles away literaly and if you let her outside, even in a fence or kennel, an accident is bound to happen. It is a good idea to get her spayes soon, there is no need to wait until she is older. Good luck with your baby girl!
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmyakita View Post

Thanks.

Your pup is not ON heat she is IN heat and since you are new to this may I suggest that you get her spayed asap.

Please read all of the information (including the links provided) in this thread ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59820