Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Osap question

Ok, so this probably is a stupid question. But, I heard from a friend that you receive your OSAP money after sept 8th. Which is the first day of class. I just find this odd. I thought that you received it before hand. You know to get books, pay for rent, tuituon. Enhance why you needed the money in the first place.

Is she right?

ACO22
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

yep....at least it was like that at Mohawk College when I went a few yrs ago. I new about the loan before the Osap Grants and everything happened after sept. I dont even think they give out Osap Grants anymore just the Osap Loans.

it also used to be that when you finished school you had 6 months before you had to start paying the loan back.

cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Senior Contributor

it was like that for my son the last 4 yrs at ottawa U, take your acceptance (from osap) to the financial office of the school you're attending and they let you pay late.
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Now it is a year after you grad that you have to start paying. And they still have grants.

So...how do you get your school supplies, when you need your OSAP money, so you can aleast get books, supplies and pay your first month rent. Although I know probably the landlord would hold it for you, if they know that you were approved for it.

And I am going to have to drive 2 hours, just to sign a couple of papers *lol* but it is so worth it

ACO22
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yep..thats why so many people that dont have the financial support from home find it so hard. The most expensive is the books! some are outrageous! you will find out what you really need once you start. I made the mistake of buying the books in advance and when I got to the class some of the teachers would say oh you dont need that book or we may not use this one or you can share this one....etc..

Are you excited yet?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

So i guess I will have to wait tii after the first day of class to get my books and such.

yeah, I am excited. Just worried that I won't be approved for OSAP, won't get the place that I want up there, and the stress of my cat in the move. All knock on wood.

ACO22
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

If necessary for your rent etc. you should be able to get an emergency loan from the college (assuming they still do that). A friend of mine did that on more than one occasion while she was waiting on a paycheck from her part-time job. Also, like I mentioned before I went through the same program years ago so I can let you have some of the books that you need cheap if they're still using all the same ones.

If you're worried about not being approved by OSAP, don't be afraid to appeal their decision if they turn you down. It worked for me. At the time I entered college my dad was working in real estate and they turned me down based on his previous year's earnings, but the year I applied was much worse in the real estate market and he explained the situation and they ended up giving me both a loan and a grant (actually I think it was all loan to begin with and then about half was converted to a grant if I remember correctly). For that to happen my dad had to go higher up the chain of command and spend a while on the phone. For some reason I seem to recall that he was talking to someone in Thunder Bay.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Senior Contributor

we had also taken a student loan from our bank for just that fact, don't go by (at least most of the time) the list of books you've recieved, often they are changed, wait till the first day of class to get a revised list of books, once osap comes in, then pay the school loan at the bank, they understand all that so usually they lend you money quite easily, and my son had 6 months after his grad to start paying back, usually its not the full amount, he was "gifted" with 2000. off his osap. If you don't have a job 6 months after graduation then you can fill in a paper that allows you more time till you start repaying.
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:42 AM

Yes, you do have to wait until school starts to get your loan. Read very carefully. It is easy to miss one of the blanks you haave to fill in and then your loan gets delayed while you fill it out again. For the books, check out the school bookstore to see if they sell used textbooks (after you get your revised lists) and also check out the other used bookstores nearby. Even the ones not officially offiliated with the school may sell used textbooks, and at a better price than the school does. It's always worth a look. I got a few books that way, but you have to be quick, within the first day or two, or others will get there first.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old July 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
proud to be a cat slave

It's really quite ridiculous.. my DH has had to wait to get his OSAP before buying his books - a couple of times he didn't get it until a week after the start of school He just borrowed classmates books until he could buy them himself..

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Geek Club CEO

always try to get your hands on used books if you can, and sometimes the school library will have copies for in-house loan (free) as well...new books are stupidly expensive and a lot of the time not all that needed for day-to-day reading/reference...
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If you are relying on OSAP you use what is called deferred payments. You usually have to pay a small fee for it but schools are used to that because a large percentage of the students are there on OSAP funds. My kids did that when they went a few years back. I also have two step sons going through the process now. Schools are very good at guiding you through the process.
Normally most college book stores will also let you pay late if you prove you are recieving OSAP. See if you can get a book list before hand. A lot of times graduated students put their used books on a bulletin board at the school and sell them at very reasonable prices.
I laughed when I went back to school in '89 (aging myself now). I applied for OSAP just to see what they would say. They offered me a whole $97! Not even enough to buy one book!!
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM

some schools don't charge interest on school fees because they get the money directly from osap and deduct the school fees from that. also if you get osap there is an extra cheque, which is a joke of a 100 or so that you get later on towards books. my daughter went on facebook and posted on her school site to see if anyone had any of the books she needed. sometimes it works sometimes not. don't be afraid to ask the prof if you can get an older edition if it can be used sometimes they let and will be willing to give you notes if you are missing any of the updates.
Old July 13th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys. I didn't even think about the library having the books. And I plan on trying to get used first. However, I will have to buy my books for my wildlife, wetland conservation books. My math, chem courses I can buy used *lol*

I received my OSAP today. I didn't get what I was estimated to suppose to get, but I am still happy.

I have another question. I have my loan, then it says something about income low families grant and says a percentage of money. Now, I didn't apply for a grant, but I was wondering that since I would be classified as a low income family. Yeah...saving and rescuing animals doesn't pay much *lol* I was wondering if because of these, that they gave me a LF grant.

And is this included in your overall total loan? I don't believe it is..but thought I would ask.

ACO22