Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 16th, 2008, 10:53 AM
~Cat Servent~

My guys are the same... they don't even flinch for needles... me on the other hand...

Kraft Dinner...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but I have a question and I think you guys may be able to help me. I have a kitty that's about five yrs old and he recently had to have 3 teeth pulled because of one rotten tooth that caused an abcess and made the other 2 loose. This was a week ago and before he had the teeth pulled i didnt know what was wrong. He had a teary eye and his cheek was swollen. He came home and seemed fine, he's eating and everything but he still has the watery eye and his cheek is still abit swollen. Is it normal for this to still be happening? I called the vet and they said it should have been healed by now. Do you think something might still be wrong?
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
~Cat Servent~

I was told by my vet to bring him in if there was any cheek swelling, so I would get him back to the vet so they can have a look.... post operative checkups should be free also btw. Hope he heals up soon and gets back to normal!

And welcome... there is a wealth of information here, and you'll love the people!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:55 PM

My vet is going to charge me and they never told us to bring him back or anything. He had the cheek swelling prior to the teeth pulling so why is it still swollen. i want to take him back but don't want to spend another $100. I hope it's nothing serious.
Thank you for the welcome.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I just rescued a stray that has this same problem but with multiple sites of infection and extractions needed.

The eye and cheek swollen and runny and cat blinking. Lots of pain and funny colouring in the mouth.

The antibiotics may not have properly treated the infection, so I'd go back to the vet again. Also it takes much time for swelling to go down after infection. I'd rinse your cats mouth with a luke warm water solution after feeding to ensure the mouth stays clean.

There is a mouth rinse for this you can get from the vet. I used it for my dog after she had dental surgery. I am sorry I don't know the name of it but maybe you can make your own with a very 'mild' salt water solution. But you'll need a bottle with a narrow squirt top.

I'd put 1/2 teaspoon of salt to 16 fluid oz's of luke warm water. But make sure that there is no deep infection as well, and don't rinse with the salt water too much as it can keep an area irritated. And keep low on the salt used.

Soft foods would be a good choice for now. I'd boil some chicken and water and then puree it in the blender into a paste to lick at, and you can even put some sardines or salmon in the blender with water as well and let kitty lick at that too.

Good luck.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks Luba. I was thinking it might be infected. I'm just feeling really bad for him because I don't know how he's feeling and my mom doesn't want to take him back to the vet if we have to pay but i don't care...i just want him to be better. I don't think he would let me rinse his mouth out. I'm going to see how he is by weekend and if he's not better i'm going to call the vet and ask if i can take him in.
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'd be really careful with infection it can spread quickly and just in a matter of days things can get really bad. Especially infections in the mouth, as they can spread to the brain faster and then you're in a heap of trouble.

he's okay
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:38 PM
~Cat Servent~

Did the vet not give you antibiotics for him? I had to start Buddy on antirobe 3 days prior to the extraction and then continue after for 7 more days to be sure any infection was taken care of.... are there any other vets in your area?

Old February 21st, 2008, 10:08 AM

Oh yeah my vet gave me an antibiotic and it was same deal krdahmer...3 days before and 7 days after. It starts with a C. Lastnight he seemed better. me and my mom tried opening his mouth to look inside but he wouldn't allow it but after he seemed okay. I'm going to keep an eye on him. We have been giving him his antibiotics so he shouldn't haev infection.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM

One of my cats had two teeth pulled, but I honestly don't remember doing anything special after that. She didn't have stitches and ate kibble the whole time. Maybe that was ok because the two teeth were her fangs in front? Anyway, no problems after that, it was a couple years ago.

good luck with your kitty missboo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM

I just spoke with my mom and she said Peetie's (my kitty) face looked a bit swollen. I think the teeth were in the back so it must be like getting your wisdom teeth out.
Old February 21st, 2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Missboo,I am pretty sure your vet would take a look at your Petie,after all you paid a lot of money to have his teeth extracted,it should be part of the bill.
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I agree with Anita the follow up should be free, call and go in.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM

He seems to be doing better. It's just the watery eye now so hopefully he is just taking longer to heal. Do you think that's a possibility?