Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 17th, 2012, 06:15 AM

do i have to worry about a female dog killing a male dog?

I have had Boogie for 9 yrs and Boogie got along excellent with another male dog we had. Zorro passed away. Boogie lived with Zorro since Boogie was a puppy. They were male and female.

Boogie is 9 years old and is a female. I just adopted a 1 1/2 year old MALE dog. I brought Boogie to the shelter to see how the new dog and her would get along. They did fine at the shelter. Until I got the new dog home. Today will be their 2nd day togethor. If the new dog gets close to Boogie, Boogie will snap and show teeth and they have got in a few fights (no blood, just alot of growling, fake biting , and showing teeth) BOOGIE ALWAYS INSTIGATES THE FIGHTS.

What is going on here? Boogie has never acted like this before around other dogs. Will it get better? Will Boogie kill the new male dog at some point--Im more concerned about this then anything.
how much time do I need to give before Boogie stops snapping/growling at Tobie (new dog)?

Looks scary when they get into a fight. The fights only lasts about 30 seconds.

They have sniffed each other, they can lay in the same room togethor calmly.

Our family really love our new dog

Last edited by peacebestill; March 17th, 2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: new information
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

It is important to transition slowly. Don't forget that this new dog is in his territory.
In order to get things going on the right foot, is to get outside and go for walks so that they can bound more on neutral ground. If they engage in play outside then it should go well down the road.
Both dogs should not be forced however to interact. They should ALWAYS be supervised until they settle down.
The new dog should be crated when you are not in the home. Very important.

Also, what do they fight about? Is it about a toy? bone? sleeping space?. Is there are problem when the new dog is close to you?

Do you know how to read body language? It is important to find out what the triggers are in order to correct the situation. Correction however does not mean yelling or shoving. It means to difuse the situation before it happens.

Good luck. I think if you are having problems you should consult with a dog trainer to help access the situation and perhaps provide you with some tips. It is one thing for me to type this out, it is another to actually see the situation and provide viable tips.
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I would definately work with a dog trainer. I had very same situation, only it was a dominant male snapping at a female puppy. Go for leash walks away from your home. Crate the new dog at first. Interactions always supervised. I was crying thinking my dog was going to kill her too. Remove all the toys, bones etc....no need to fight over this right now. In the end with lots of patience they were best friends and inseparable. It can work believe me.
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Some updates:

I talked to animal shelter and explained my situation; states I need to make sure I am alpha over both dogs. When Boogie starts being the aggressor, I am to let her know that behavior is not welcome. I put coins in soda cans and have them in all rooms. Boogie started to go at Tobie, I shook the soda can and instantly the fight difussed and then I scolded Boogie, (didnt yell, just said Bad Dog)

Also I am letting them out togethor. I am noticing wherever the new dog goes, Boogie follows for some reason. I saw them togethor sniffing something together.

When the aggression starts if when the new dog gets close to the face of Boogie. It appears she doesnt like that.

Also I feed them separately and put the bowls up when done. and right now dont play with either one right now until things settle.
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

coins in a can..........all thats going to do is make your dog terrified of loud noises..........Benmax said it right, get them out on leashes and go for long walks, feed them in the same room but opposite sides, if one finishes before the other make that one "stay" till the second is finished then pick up the dishes.
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:07 AM

I want to adopt a second dog (we already have a very dominant female). As BenMax mentioned, it's hard to comment without seeing what you're dealing with, but here's what I've found...

I'm interested/concerned about this, so I've been reading about it:
- Off territory outings are best and should be done immediately after acquiring the second dog, and often after that
- separate areas for feeding and removal of feeding bowls
- one-on-one training with each dog separately
- *this last one I find the most controversial*: Agreeing with your first dog when he/she puts the new dog in it's place...

I'm guessing that the idea here is that dogs are used to hierarchies. Your dog already 'owns' everything in your house that isn't the Alpha's (yours/your family's). They also understand that the current hierarchy is: Owner/family/people #1, Me(dog) #2. Intro-ing a new dog puts the other on edge as they don't understand where this new dog fits into the hierarchy. Are they here to steal? To cause harm? To boot your dog off the #2 position?

By being aggressive to the new dog, yours is communicating the existing hierarchy (maybe over-communicating for effect). When you scold her, it's confusing: she's confused that you don't appear to follow the same hierarchy as she thought. She's unsure now where she stands in the ranks (and so may have to fight more to secure her #2 spot). Scolding her, and feeling bad for/comforting the new dog also gives your dog insecurities on her position, and invites the new dog to continue his behavior (smelling her/taking her toys, etc).

Some dog trainers recommend that, if the fights are not severe, you should praise your current dog for putting the new one in it's place. Ex: New dog takes old dog's toy. Old dog saps at new dog, takes back toy. Praise your dog and ignore new dog. (New dog prob also appreciates this in the long run, as they also understand how they fit into the family).

I'm not sure that this idea would work in all practical situations. But I think the idea of hierarchies is a good one to keep in mind. Also keeping in mind exactly what they are fighting about - toy? - your affection? Your current dog will prob need more affection to let them know they are still #2 in the ranks.

If it's any consolation: My family had a male mini-schnauzer who was a couple years old when we got a golden retriever (male) puppy. The schnauzer picked on him for about the first year - really fighting him, biting at his face. Then the golden got a lot bigger (maybe a shift in hierarchy?). After that, they were the closest buddies - went everywhere together.

Best of luck! Please keep us updated on their progress.