Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 12th, 2008, 09:45 AM

food suggestions....please!!!

I have two one+ year old shihtzus. For the first year, I had difficulty finding a food that they would eat. I tried almost every kibble and wt food available. Finally, I decided to try a raw diet....they loved it! I have been feeding them this way for the last two months. My little guy stopped eating last week and did not seem himself, so off to the vet we went. They did bloodwork on him and the vet called to let us know that his liver enzymes are quite high (due to toxins). The vet said to wait for two weeks and then we could do more bloodwork and see what his levels are at. I am now very concerned that the raw diet (premade) is making my dog sick. I am not sure what to do....should I switch them back to a kibble/wet food? My little female has always had trouble digesting her food but has been doing very well on a raw diet. I am back to the drawing board and just don't know what to do....If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. I know my vet will suggestion Hills....and I am wondering if I should stop raw all together and just go with Hills.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm extremely doubtful that it was the raw causing high liver enzymes, otherwise why wouldn't both dogs be affected? Which premade raw do you feed? Maybe if it makes you feel better, you could switch to a different brand or make your own. Don't go let your vet convince you to go with Hill's, that would be a major step backwards.

Also, the thing with high liver enzymes is that they can occur FROM not eating, so it's a case of which came first. In the meantime, something like Denamarin or Denosyl would be a good supplement to help your little guy's liver recover.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM

Sugarcatmom:
Thanks for the information. I started feeding Natures Variety (for a short time) but have switched to Paws and Claws. My little guy is a picky little eater -- and doesn't like much variety. I give him the chicken/egg with a little tripe and he will usually eat it. I have tried beef, turkey, bison, lamb, ham...no luck.
I did not know that a high count could come from not eating. That is really interesting.
I am not sure if you will know the answer to this or not....but, I have to ask.....is there any way this could be related to eating their own stools? When I walk them, it is great because I can just scoop it up immediately....but OCCASIONALLY they will go outside in the backyard and I will turn my back for ONE SECOND...and it is GONE. Do you know what effect this could have? I know, it is disgusting....but I have not been able to break this disgusting habit.
Thanks again for the great information. I think I will hold off on changing their diet.
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:35 PM
-

I agree with everything that sugarcatmom told you and the supplements are an excellent idea.

And, in answer to your last question....no, the poop eating would not be related.
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I've heard that adding a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to a dog's diet makes their poop taste bad. Same with couple teaspoons of (unsweetened) pineapple juice. I don't have any personal experience on this issue and I'm not sure if your picky eaters would go for it but just thought I'd mention it.

Here is some pretty good info on liver disease in dogs, particularly as it relates to diet: http://www.dogaware.com/specific.html#liver

More on diet: http://www.dog-health-guide.org/cani...seasediet.html

An extensive description of various liver-related issues and tests involved: http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/hea...verdisease.htm

How is your pup doing now? Is he eating okay?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM

I agree its not the raw diet that is affecting the liver enzymes. I have never heard that the pumpkin makes the poop taste bad Most dogs eat their poop because they are missing something from their diet. Not sure what that is but that is what I've been told. If its their own poop in the yard just pick it up after they go so they don't get a chance to eat it

I would try doing your own raw. At least then you can control what is going into their food.

I hope your baby feels better soon
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM

Thanks so much to all of you! I am so glad I decided to post.

I did try pumpkin a few months ago when they were eating kibble. They were having diarreah (sorry) every few days so I added a little pumpkin and that seemed to make things better. Unfortunately, it didn't stop their nasty habit. I did purchase some powder, a few months ago, from the vet (to sprinkle on each meal) and that didn't do it either. I guess I will just have to stand at the window for the rest of my life watching for little poo-eaters (LOL).
I am sticking with the raw diet and may try making my own one day.
My little guy has picked up a little and decided to eat tonight so that is a good sign. I will have him tested again in two weeks. Thanks again to everyone!!
By the way, is everyone feeding a raw diet that has commented?
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM

We feed all 3 of our guys raw. Pork, lamb, beef, chicken, turkey. Our boy Luke is really finicky. I get the green tripe (Tripette) and put it on top of his food. Just a tablespoon. He goes nuts for the stuff and it helps to get him in the mood to eat the rest of his food. Maybe give that a try for your finicky one?
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Totallyhip.....Do you make your own? Do you ever use a premade diet?
I have been buying the 1lb blocks of tripe from Paws and Claws. I also add a little bit to each meal to get my little guy in the mood. Sometimes it works - and sometimes he just looks up and says -- I want something better! They are funny.