Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 14th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Has anyone had professional pet photos done?

I'm just curious. Sable has an appointment with a professional pet photographer this weekend. I've seen the woman's work, and she's very good. But I've never had this done before, so I don't know what to expect. It's being done at a small pet supply store, they have the photographer in once every couple of months. I only hope that Sable isn't afraid of the camera! (She doesn't like noisy cameras, and she will sit still but she will pull her ears back and look miserable. So I'm hoping she doesn't do that, and I'm bringing treats just in case.) Poor Sable will be groomed to within an inch of her life to look good for the session- she's getting a dreaded bath this week!

Of course I will post the photos after I get them!
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:01 AM

I had Buddys photos taken after his graduation from puppy obedience class. The trainer had a friend who does pet photography. He was really good about it, but he was the only one present, other than us and the photographer. Buddy behaved, sat and stayed as requested. We got about half a dozen done (mostly Christmas type shots). She did a couple of portraits and they turned out so good that she asked if she could use his portrait in her portfolio. I told her yes, as long as if she got a contract with a pet food company, Buddy gets free food! We ended up framing one of the portraits and giving it to my mother in law and telling her it was her grandsons graduation picture (she has them for all the other grandchildren)!

As long as the photographer knows what he/she is doing, the dogs usually are pretty good.
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
As long as the photographer knows what he/she is doing, the dogs usually are pretty good.
Yup I would agree with that and have done pet photography myself. It's also better if the photographer has a rapport with the animal...taking a few minutes or more BEFORE the shoot begins to make friends. ...and the pet owner must be there at all times.

Good luck!

marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I'm so excited, the sitting is tomorrow morning. I'll be with Sable the whole time. It's $50 US for a 1/2 hour sitting, and you get a few photo proofs, and you can order photo packages for more $. I've gotten to see examples of her work, and they looked good. And Sable is very obedient. So...I am hoping we get some good shots of Sable, I'd love to get a good one that I can get framed.
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck, SableCollie! I'd love to have our Pack professionally done...he he...but for the sanity of the photographer, I think I better just continue to snap the portraits myself...

Can't wait to see the pics!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:51 AM

So today was the photo shoot day! The photographer and her assistant were very nice, they petted sable for a while before they started. I got to stay right behind the photographer, and the assistant was right next to Sable the whole time. Of course Sable realizes "Oh there is a camera, I am going to pin my ears back and look miserable!" And nothing we could do would get her to put her ears up...until someone knocked on the door and her ears shot up and she looked all alert! So then they had someone knock on the door before each shot.

It didn't take long at all, and a few minutes after, the photographer was able to show us the 6 best shots on her laptop...of course they were all amazing, how could I choose! So we ordered 1 large photo print and 2 smaller prints (3 different pictures because we couldn't choose!) and then we ordered all 6 of the photos on a cd (so I can share them all with you guys!) I don't know how long it will take to get them, I was so excited I couldn't pay attention at the end!
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Sound like it worked well

this was my one photo made into a digital water portrait after a 2 hour photo shoot, pictures actually had to be merged together inorder to create, Sunny got bored and kept laying down and Callie was more interested in what was on the other side of the curtain, so her head was under the curtain most of the time, poor photographer was sweating buckets trying to get then to look at the camera But I warned hime beforehand it would not be an easy task

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM

And they look so well-behaved!! I wonder if the photographer considered a career change afterwards! The brindle one looks just like my co-worker's dog.

I'm so glad someone happened to knock on the door, otherwise I don't think we could have gotten her to look at the camera without having that "I am being tortured!" look on her face. She can make her ears completely disappear! See, here is her usual face she makes when the camera comes out:

I think I am going to have a portrait artist that I know do a painting from the photos, if I can afford it. I'm supposed to get the photo prints and cd next week, I can't wait!
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like it went really well, SableCollie! Can't wait to see the pics--but ask the photographer if it's okay to post them first--there might be some copyright issues there.

I'd love to do portraits of my dogs. I actually did used to paint before the dogs began to outnumber us. Maybe now that they're getting older and more sedate, I'll be able to start it up again... Then again, considering that Brier arrives on Saturday, maybe not...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

btw--I think that 'earless' look is her dignified pose. She looks very dignified to me.

Old June 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM
The demons' servant

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Just thinking that my two boys would possibly ever pose for a picture sends me into a fit of giggles....having them taken professionally would tax anyone's nerves!

Maybe doggies are different though. I suppose they'll actually listen when you say sit!

Megan
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I can't even get my hole family together at the same time can you imagine putting a doggie in there too with Bree so exictable?? now that would be pricless..
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:46 PM

We decided that we will never try to get all 3 dogs' picture done at the same time. There is no way that will happen! I can just imagine, since I would have to say "stay" in 3 different languages (english, german, czech....I only know "let go" and "lie down" in czech, luckily Basko is good at reading body language and responding appropriately!)

Quote:
ask the photographer if it's okay to post them first--there might be some copyright issues there.
Never thought of that! Of course I'd be willing to put "photos taken by..." (if that wouldn't be considered promotion.) I just assumed that since I paid for the photos, I could do whatever (as long as I wasn't making money or anything off of them).

I had my friend, who is very talented, draw a charcoal sketch of sable a few years back and I had it framed. Now I am getting these photos framed, and I mentioned about getting a painting done, and my mom said "What, are you going to wallpaper the walls with sable??"
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So are you saying that there isn't a chance in Hades of me ever getting a professional portrait done of the Pack! I guess we'd have to do it like OG did--have 5 of them photoshopped in! Maybe I'll have to track down OG's portrait maker--whoever it was did a wonderful job with her two!

Old June 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Well let's just say that if I had 7 dogs, I would go with the photoshop option...
Unless you want to spend hundreds on trainers getting a reliable rock-solid "stay" for each dog, and then training them to do it as a group....yes photoshop is looking better and better, isn't it?
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableCollie View Post
Well let's just say that if I had 7 dogs, I would go with the photoshop option...
Unless you want to spend hundreds on trainers getting a reliable rock-solid "stay" for each dog, and then training them to do it as a group....yes photoshop is looking better and better, isn't it?
I can get a rock solid stay on all of them if they're on one side of the gate and I'm on the other

Actually, we have two that are rock-solid together...the rest seem to have rather shorter attention spans...

I guess that photoshop option is my only hope!