Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

30 pitbulls seized from calgary home

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Th...121/story.html

Thirty pit bulls seized from northeast home
By Jamie Komarnicki, Calgary Herald May 3, 2011 5:04 AM More than 30 pit bull terriers suffering from severe dehydration were rescued from a northeast Calgary home in a seizure that has raised new questions about regulating "backyard breeders."

The Calgary Humane Society stepped in on Friday after complaints about the home.

Peace officers attended the home with a search warrant and, with assistance from police and Calgary animal and bylaw services, removed 34 canines, including puppies and pregnant dogs.

The home was considered a "substandard" facility for breeding dogs, said humane society spokeswoman Desiree Arsenault.

"There was lack of food, water and proper shelter," Arsenault said. "(The dogs) were dehydrated. A few of them had (untreated) lacerations."

The seized canines are being sheltered at the humane society. The agency will care for the animals pending charges against the owner, Arsenault said.

The case has renewed the debate over setting provincial and national standards of care for breeding operations.

Calgary Humane Society executive director Patricia Cameron said it's important for breeders to provide the necessities of life, including proper food, water, shelter care and socialization for pets.

"These animals were living in conditions that are hard for most people to imagine," she said in a media release.

In Calgary, as in many cities, there's no limit on the number of cats and dogs in a single home. However, various laws and bylaws are aimed at protecting the health and safety of the pets -and the community.

The humane society is pushing for rules that set standards for "backyard breeders," said Arsenault.

It's important for operations not to spiral out of control of the owners, or be motivated by money rather than the animals' welfare, she said.

"We're working with other organizations setting a breeding standard," Arsenault said.

The regulations could involve licensing or voluntary compliance on set standards, she said.

Calgary's head of animal and bylaw services said the city is exploring various options and working with animal groups. It's important to make decisions based on "scientific knowledge, not knee-jerk reaction," said Bill Bruce.

"We don't have to have laws that target responsible pet owners, and unfortunately arbitrary limits tend to do that," said Bruce.

"How many animals you have is not the issue, it's how they're cared for and how they impact the community," he said.

Community consultation is to take place this summer, Bruce said.

The pit bull seizures came on the last day a southern Alberta rancher could attempt to reclaim hundreds of livestock seized in an animal neglect investigation.

A joint RCMP and Alberta SPCA probe at a property near Drumheller led to the seizure of 141 horses and 200 cattle.

Authorities contend the animals were malnourished and suffering from neglect.

The rancher, identified by friends as John Barry Graham, had 10 days from when he received the seizure notice to try to reclaim the livestock, with Monday the last day.

SPCA officials said the deadline has been extended. No decision has been made about whether the owner may reclaim the animals, said Terra Johnston, the Alberta SPCA executive director.

jkomarnicki@calgaryherald.com

Twitter.com/journojamie

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Th...#ixzz1LI5gf1dZ
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Wow... these type of stories just make me sick. The sad thing is, the people here at pets who truly care about the wellfare of these precious beings are few and far between in the "real" world. I can't help with any livestock (I think my neighbors may not be too fond of cows or horses in my backyard ), but I will keep my eyes open for these dogs to see what's going to happen. Thanks for sharing that Melinda

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

normally once the initial story is in the ottawa paper, thats the last we hear of it, if possible, could you post any follow ups you see Rgeurts?