Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:14 AM

How to convince my dad to let me have a German Shepherd Dog?

Hi so I've been wanting a German Shepherd for a while. I found an ad in the local paper the had German Shepherd pups for sale for 1500$. I have the money and am very responsible. After about 6 years of begging my parents finally let me purchase a chihuahua and I've been taking great care of her. I also get straight As in school. I showed my mom the ad and talked to her about and she agreed to get a puppy. The only issue is my family already has eight dogs and my dad said no way we have too many dogs. Two of them are old and probably won't hang on much more then a couple years. Another is getting slow and one is a chihuahua and one is my moms dog. One has had four homes so we have too keep her. The other two one is my sisters and one is my dad's fave. So only one of the dogs is really mine, the chihuahua. My family is very active and I was going to teach the German Shepherd to skijor and dog mush. So the only thing standing in my way is my dad. Do any of you have any ideas that would convince him a German Shepherd is a good idea? Please don't say wait until you move out and then get your own dog or anything like that. Thanks in advance!
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:13 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum!

I'd be curious to know how old you are before I offer up a suggestion on this matter. Thx!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

How to convince your Dad, hmmm. Well, all you mention is what you want. What benefit would the GSD bring to your family? Have you researched the breed to discover their particular health problems? Have you researched breeders to find one who does the health checks? Hips, elbows, eyes and heart are usual with most large breeds. Do you understand the temperament of a GSD? Do you know what kind of activities they are best suited to and what kind of training they benefit most from? If you could show your Dad you understand these things it might go a long way.

The ad you saw in the paper might be from a reputable breeder but the odds are it's not.

How old are you? Who will be paying for dog food and training and Vet bills? What dog training experience do you have as GSD are not for first time or inexperienced owners, generally.

Maybe you could volunteer with a kennel that sleds their dogs. Do you have any experience already with that? Why a GSD for two activities other breeds are usually the first go to?

Quote:
One has had four homes so we have too keep her.
I find this comment very disturbing. Would you consider getting rid of a dog just so you can get the one you want? I bet not, I bet this is just poorly worded or I am inferring wrongly. But 8 dogs are a lot and maybe there is a by-law where you live limiting numbers of dogs in a household.

Good luck. I think you need to work on your own training and experience, or at the very least your presentation, before proceeding. And yeah, you don't want to hear it, but when you move out and get your own place all the comments above still apply. You still need to learn about the breed and even more important, about the breeders.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:25 PM

I am 14 for all wondering
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:37 PM

Yes I have researched for health problems and most of them seemed to be genetic or heritable. The ad I saw in the paper said the dogs have champion bloodlines and a full health guarantee so all seems to be good. I do understand their temperament and know they are very active and need lots of exercise. I also know they need exercise for their mind and would benefit from something like agility. I would help pay for food and vet as much as I could but my parents would have to pay for some of it. I do have money to help though. I have dog training experience with the dogs we have and have taught them sit come stay and other basic commands. I do have some experience mushing but it's mostly my dad and sister. They could teach me more. And I would use a GSD for those activities because that is what my family participates in. I did poorly word that comment I would not want to get rid of her. I was against getting her but did not mean I would get rid of her. I find it very sad she has had four homes. Thank you for your help
Old June 23rd, 2014, 03:40 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thanks for telling us your age. You write well, seem to be doing great in school and you have a passion for animals. First off...right on

Now whether to get a GSD from the newspaper for 1500.00 is a whole other issue. But since it was brought up - please DO check the credentials of this breeder and make sure he/she is reputable. many breeders aren't reputable and don't have the best interests of the animals they sell.

Now in terms of my suggestion, I'll assume you live in an area where it's ok to have this many dogs. Since you seem responsible, and all dogs require some chores....maybe bribe your dad by offering to walk/ play with / clean poop from his dog if he lets you get a GSD... just a thought but ya never know.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Marko has good ideas and I agree, your writing is mature for 14. I also agree that demonstrating responsibility and co-operation is a good start. Call it bribery if you will. But, eight dogs is still a lot of dogs and you might have to wait.

I don't know if we have any GSD people on this board. My boy is a Lab but I'd take a look at the GSD breeder's website for any glaring red flags if you want to PM me the link. I know what health issues are peculiar to Labs but I'm not up on GSD. However there are some basics that apply to all.

Another option for you is to search out a forum dedicated to GSD and ask there, which is likely your best bet for researching the breeder.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I am wondering who will be taking care of the new dog when the OP in school . The dog will need to be walked or get some kind of exercise during the day. Will there be anyone around to do this?
Old June 24th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I was wondering if you could turn your passion of dog training into working at a doggie school and help others train their dogs. Maybe even get paid sometime in the future. At least till school is done and then you would be able to afford your own dog. Just my opinion.