Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 12th, 2015, 10:24 PM

My cat has a deathwish!

My cat is 1 year and 3 months old.

She is female and I think she was not initially raised by her mother though I could be wrong.

Her personality:

She is kind of a spoiled brat who loves to cry whenever she wants and is a very loud talkative cat.

She is a very silly cat. A lot of times her ears go really really back and she just angrily walks around when she wants. Or randomly starts to cry for no reason just for the hell of it or to get our attention.

She has two modes of noises:
1) she makes these weird noises I cant really describe it but its not really a meow and that means she wants to be petted and is in a happy mood.

2) other times its loud painful meows. These happen randomly because she is trying to get attention or because she is just randomly doing it. Especially when she goes to her room alone.

For example when we come home she happily greets us but the sometimes she is with us downstairs but suddenly runs away upstairs to my bedroom (her territory) and we hear loud crying meows as through someone is trying to kill her...she does this to get our attention even though all she has to do is come down and play.

Now the problem is that:
She likes to bite random stuff and that could kill her.

She likes to lick dirty dishes in our sink when they are present, she likes to bite any wires I have out.

She almost died swallowing a part of my shoe around JAN but luckily she was saved by the toronto humane society.

Recently she learned how to open up my drawer and I had to put barricade my drawer to make sure she can't get in. But somehow she was and bit a wire and then had diarrhea but luckily she is all fine and it wasn't serious.

I had to empty my drawer then....

And if we leave her out she could open many of our closets and just eat a shoe or something.

The issue is that she likes to get into trouble in the expense of her own health.
She bites my wires, tries to eat our plant, tries to lick a lot of things (a cushion, her bed, a table, the floor sometimes, herself, me).

We have never seen such a wild, charismatic, cat with so much energy. She loves dashing around the house so much its hard to keep up with her sometimes.

We have baby sat a younger cat a while back and she was never like this. All the cats I have heard of are happy enough to roam the house and arent locked in a room. But this cat can't really be trusted to be honest.

And then when we leave we worry that she will destroy or eat something so we always lock her up in my room.

Now a days I need to keep my room a certain way so she doesn't eat anything. She has a scratch post in my room, she can look outside the window. The blinds are closed so she likes to tunnel into the blinds and lays out in the sun light. We can't pull the blinds because they go down not side ways and if we keep them down there are strings visible that she can bite.

She has balls to play with but no other toys because she is known to swallow pieces of toys like feathers and fur.

Was thinking of getting her a cat tree as well.

But the problem is that the only times I think she really bites things are when we are in the house. She seems to have a tendency to sit at the same spot when we are not home. So I dont think she actively tries to eat things when we are gone but I am not too sure and dont want to take the risk.

Some have suggested getting another cat. I heard that when she was in the toronto humane society she did not like being near other cats and it effected her eating habits. So I was thinking maybe she is a solitary cat and doesn't want a companion cat.

But if we were to come up with a solution what would it be?

If she grows up will she mature and not be so crazy?
Would getting a male cat make things better? My mom wants a male ginger so may that could work out.
Would getting a cat tree work? But I dont know if that will prevent her from trying to eat things.
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you posted a photo of your cat yet, I am wondering if your cat is part wild cat .

http://petsupplies.about.com/od/cats...ray-Review.htm You could try using calming spray for cats , a vet office I go to say this help cats to relax while being exam by the vet. There are some sprays you can plug into an outlet , they look like a nightlight .

Last edited by Barkingdog; March 12th, 2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL, your cat wants to be a Labrador Retriever puppy. One of ours is like that. She will be a year old April 1st. In a lifetime of cats I've never had one who was such a biter. One day last week I came home to find five rolls of toilet paper distributed about the house. All chewed, scratched and partly unrolled. We puppy proof, make that cat proof, as much as we can. We have to tell every visitor where we hide the TP.

But what helps the most is a couple of periods a day of really strenuous play. I get her chasing a string on a stick and I run it up the loveseat, down to the floor, up the easy chair, down to the floor, up the chesterfield, up higher to the cat stand, down to the floor. We have to take rests because I get dizzy. This little cat is literally flying through the air after the string. She needs this about 10 or 15 minutes a time a couple of times a day. Plus she tears around the house chasing her sister too.

Try some more exercise with your cat, see if it helps. You probably do have to remove items that could potentially hurt her, or you if she burns your house down. A thing to try on objects you don't want her to bite is vinegar or bitter apple spays meant for puppies. You have to reapply them often.