Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 28th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Wet food is better then dry?

Ok...
On my thread for my puppy(trying to figure out what food is good for him) I was informed that wet food is better then dry. That dry isn't all that good.
I'll admit, my cats have NEVER eaten wet....mainly because one won't even TRY it(she smells it, twitches her tail, and walks away insulted..lol) and the other will only do a bite or two, then walk away herself.
So should I try to switch them to wet, or is there another way they can have a "proper" diet, while still on dry food?
I thought I had my cats figured out, and only had to worry about puppy Thor....now I'm all confused again...sigh...lol
So inputs?
Angie

FYI....I have 2 cats. Tiki is an all black female, that's approx 2yrs old.(She's a stray, she was rescued by a vet, who then found a home for her, with the lady I then got her from)She is a tad overweight. Tucker is a calico female, that is approx 6-7 yrs...she is an SPCA rescue. Her previous owners packed up their apartment,moved and left her behind. She is a healthy/normal weight.
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Pet View Post
So should I try to switch them to wet, or is there another way they can have a "proper" diet, while still on dry food?
Nope, dry food can never be a "proper" diet because it's missing an extremely important ingredient: WATER. Please read that catinfo link I posted in your other thread and you too will "see the light" . There is also a section in there about how to switch kibble addicts over to wet food (hint: you have to stop free-feeding kibble first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Pet View Post
She is a tad overweight.
Free-feeding dry food is the biggest cause of weight gain in cats. If you can persevere with a switch to wet food, she will likely drop the excess weight.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Free-feeding dry food is the biggest cause of weight gain in cats. If you can persevere with a switch to wet food, she will likely drop the excess weight.
Yup, which I'll admit I did...then I moved in with my bf with my other cat(that he kept when he and I broke up and I moved out)...she was in fit shape again! When it was just him caring for her he had her on "timed" feedings...aka, she'd get half a cup before left for work, and half a cup when he got home....
So he's now in charge of feeding the cats....to work at getting Tiki to slim down...as the "Meow, mom I'm hungry" look makes me cave...lol...she give that pitiful meow and pout look and I'd feed her...now I just tell her "nope sorry,kris feeds you, not me"...and I walk away...much to her dismay(she'll sometimes follow, pawing at my legs.).
So guess I'll now be re evaluating cat food...sigh...and I just did that not long ago, when I ended up switching them to Taste of the wild...lol...I thought I had cats figured out, then concentrated on Thor(puppy)...finally got him figured out...and now I gotta concentrate on cats again.....does this ever end!!???lol
Angie