Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 11th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Where can I go for information?

Two months ago, I bought my beautiful little Shiba Inu from a pet store. He's been absolute heaven. He's doing really well with training, is healthy, and is such a happy little bundle. I love him more than anything, and would not give him up for the world.

However, since day one I've been fretting about health concerns. I know pet stores often buy from puppy mills, and I know puppy mill pups can have hereditary and health problems. So far, I've seen none. He's wonderful, and my vet has found no potential leads on problems.

I've spent a lot of time lately researching into this breeder. I was given the breeder's name (not the name of the breeding place, but of the owner). It's Triple R R R Breeder's (according to a USDA list of all breeders across the US that I found). It's located in Missouri. I have the woman's name, home address, and phone number, as well as the business' address, no phone number. Is there any where online I can go for more information? Any resources?

So far I've had no problems, but I'd like to know more about where my little love comes from.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you feel too intrusive calling her home number? I'd just give her a call, tell her who you are, etc. Worse thing that can happen is that she'll ask you to call the business line, at which point you can ask for that number.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
I'd like to know more about where my little love comes from.
Just a caution that you may not like what you find out....
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

The only breeders in the U.S. required to register with the USDA are commercial breeders who supply pet shops with puppies.

Generally speaking - this translates to - large or huge operations who keep crated dogs breeding during every season with little or no reguard to genetic health issues or anything else.

You may well have a dog that lives it's life without any health issues. This is not uncommon, if everybody got sick puppies from pet shops, they would go out of business in short order.

The real problem with pet shop puppies is - the parents. Rarely vetted and fed really bad food, they live their lives in cages, constantly breeding without ever seeing anything other then the dogs around them and never touching their feet to grass.
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM

and Missouri only happens to be known as the puppy mill capital..

Why would you buy from a pet store in the first place if you know about puppy mills and feel the need to make some personal connection with the puppy's breeder? I'm really not sure what you're expecting to hear from this woman. If it is a large scale breeding operation she may have never even seen this puppy, it just got made and shipped out.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM

If you would like I can try and find out a little more if you want to e-mail me her name. I can check the data base for the USDA and get inspection reports. Just an FYI a shiba I rescued that originated at a pet store came from a mill that had over 200 dogs in it at the time of inspection. You may have a wonderful pet that doesn't have any health issues. Thankfully shibas are a pretty hearty breed but there are no guarantees.
Old October 31st, 2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

What are you hoping to find out?

You bought from a pet store that carries dogs from USDA licensed breeders, so you got your puppy from a commercial breeder/broker. That's usually a step up from the nasty puppy mills you see on TV, but it's still not a good thing. Your dog won't necessarily have any problems, but you're still supporting a commercial breeder by buying the dog.

The only thing I could find on your breeder is a USDA inspection from March of '09 stating that their outdoor housing facility is in need of repair.

"In the outdoor housing facility, on the northern row of A frame housing, there are 4 houses that have wooden materials for front exterior walls. These walls are worn enough to have holes completely through the thickness of the wood."

The report states that this affects 7 adult dogs. So there's 7 dogs just in the 4 houses on the northern row of A frame housing.

I can pretty much guess that these people have lots of breeding dogs housed in outdoor enclosures. The dogs probably get fed and watered and enough medical care to keep them healthy enough for breeding. Beyond that it's a toss up.
I live in rural Missouri and I've seen a lot of commercial kennels, they pretty much all look the same. Some are better than others, up to even having heated and cooled clean cement enclosures, but the fact is they're still mass producing puppies.

I'm not sure if the mods want me posting the inspection on here since it has their personal information, but if you'd like I can PM it to you. There's not really anything on there other than what I quoted though.
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Performance Spaniels

Since you are asking in regards to health.. I assume that's what you want to know about. Commercial breeders aren't doing CERFs on eyes and OFAs on hips let alone anything else. You'd be lucky to get records that the parents of your dog saw a vet regularly.

Short of people being able to give you inspection reports so you can know just how terrible an operation you chose to support as it seems you already knew where pet store puppies come from.. what is it you think you will gain from digging about this 'breeder'?