Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM

Want to say Hello

Hello.....My name is Skye and I just found this website and would like to introduce myself. I do need some help since I'm not sure if I am in the right place. My mom passed away last week and has a loving cat that needs a home. If anyone knows where I can post this I would be most grateful. Thank you, this is a wonderful site.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:53 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I'm sorry to hear about your mom
Any chance you can take the cat into your home?

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:59 PM

Thank you

I tried taking him to my condo on Friday but I have a small chihuahua and she wants to play with him and he just doesn't want to be bothered by her so the cat gets upset and if I yell at my little dog to stop bothering him she puts her tail between her legs and thinks I'm mad at her. I live in a studio condo with no doors so there is no way for me to keep them apart.
I am boarding him at my vets office. I have put up flyers everywhere, mostly Senior Residences In hopes that someone older would like a companion but no luck so far.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
-

Hi and welcome to pets.ca. There must be cat rescues in your area that could help you ?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome..my condolences to you and your family. I am just wondering if you might be able to start over and take him in. There is alot of information here that you could have a look at and see if something can work for you. You have to remember that a proper introduction needs to happen before either of your pets become accepting of one another...Its tough on them too! the kitty has probably had a nice quiet life with no doggies around and vice versa?? just a thought? perhaps there is a way for you to keep this little one.

Good Luck
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
-

Welcome to pets.ca and my condolences to you as well.

I agree with Winston and think you should try re-introducing them. It's been many years since I lived in an apartment and am not familiar with the terms. Does a studio condo have a separarate bedroom that you could put the cat in with a baby gate across? If not, it must have a bathroom you can keep him in with a baby gate across. That way they can see each other and get close without your dog chasing him until they get used to each other.

If those options are not possible, you could buy a small xpen to keep them separated until they adjust.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfskyz View Post
Hello.....My name is Skye and I just found this website and would like to introduce myself. I do need some help since I'm not sure if I am in the right place. My mom passed away last week and has a loving cat that needs a home. If anyone knows where I can post this I would be most grateful. Thank you, this is a wonderful site.
Hi there! I'm new here too. You may want to try the Kijiji websites. I have had great luck with it. Best of luck!
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I would also suggest that you try re-introducing the cat to the dog. I suspect your pup will be the boss but since the cat knows you I think he would adjust. I realize a studio condo is small, but animals don't care about that - they want to be with people they love. Did you mom hope that you would be able to care for her cat? It is a hard decision, but I wouldn't give up so soon.