Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM

Greetings from Buffy and Jimmy's mom

I just found this board accidentally as I was searching for something else and have spent several hours reading before I finally joined up. Some very interesting and helpful articles here.
I have two cats..Buffy and Jimmy that are about 9 mos old now. We got them when they were about two weeks old, maybe a little younger. Our neighbor brought them to us; their mother was a stray that had been hit by a car. The others in the litter perished before they were found. They are the sweetest, most cuddly cats I have ever seen/had. Maybe this is a result of being handled so much and bottle fed? I think I forgot to tell them they are cats and not human babies.
Jimmy has been altered..Buffy has not yet. Jimmy was fixed before we realized Buffy was umm...expecting the (family way). Buffy should be having her kittens any time now then she will be spayed as soon as possible. We have already been looking for potential owners for the kittens...we don't want them going to someone that won't love them and take care of them.
Any tips from those experienced with kitten birth would be appreciated.
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Kudo's to you for caring and nursing these little guys in the first place... as far as kittening... well, mother cats do all that needs to be done instinctively... she will probably need a quiet unintrusive space of her own...how wonderful that Buffy and Jimmy have found you
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILEYSMUDGE View Post
Kudo's to you for caring and nursing these little guys in the first place... as far as kittening... well, mother cats do all that needs to be done instinctively... she will probably need a quiet unintrusive space of her own...how wonderful that Buffy and Jimmy have found you
Thank you for the welcome..Actually it has been a pleasure and a joy to nurse the little ones and watch them grow into the beautiful cats they have become. I am not sure who the lucky ones are...them or us. My husband and I are both disabled. They are such a delight to us and we love them to pieces.
We have a place set up for Buffy so hopefully she will be inclined to use it when the time comes. Hopefully she will have the instinct to do what she needs to do. what can I say; I am a nervous grandma to be. It will be hard to give the little ones up when they are old enough.
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Welcome to Pets.ca. It's too bad about Buffy getting pregnant before she got fixed. I hope everything goes ok for her. She's pretty young to be having babies, poor thing.
I have no help for you about the birthing. Maybe this site can help.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=919

Please make sure you have your vet number handy in case something should go wrong during delivery. Usually there is no problem as far as I know but to be safe.

FYI - Buffy can't be fixed until after kittens are weaned.
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

How wonderful of you to have taken care of them from so young an age. I hope Buffy has her kitties with no problems. And I wish you luck finding homes for the new additions. Do you plan on keeping any of them? Please post pictures of your little ones, we'd all love to see!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
It's too bad about Buffy getting pregnant before she got fixed. I hope everything goes ok for her. She's pretty young to be having babies, poor thing.
I have no help for you about the birthing. Maybe this site can help.

Please make sure you have your vet number handy in case something should go wrong during delivery. Usually there is no problem as far as I know but to be safe.

FYI - Buffy can't be fixed until after kittens are weaned.
Yes it is to bad about Buffy getting pregnant...but she is and we have to do the best we can for her and we will. Yes I know she can't be fixed until kittens are weaned. She is an indoor cat so there will not be another pregnancy however she will be fixed anyway because in the long run it is healthier for them. I do have the vet number handy as well as needed supplies. I have been doing a lot of research on this.
Thanks for the welcome.
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
How wonderful of you to have taken care of them from so young an age. I hope Buffy has her kitties with no problems. And I wish you luck finding homes for the new additions. Do you plan on keeping any of them? Please post pictures of your little ones, we'd all love to see!
We have already been searching for owners; we don't want them to go to just anyone. We have one lady that we have approved so far. I would love to be able to keep all of them but realistically we can't. It will be hard to give them up I am sure but 'ya gotta do what ya gotta do'.
Will send in pics when I am able to do so.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:46 AM

Red face

When I was a student and living in London, England...I had a little part-time job working in a pet store... I used to worry about my emotions everytime we had to say goodbye to a puppy or a kitten... but, you know?? I was really quite amazed at how I became involved in the finding of a good and loving forever home. The petshop owners were very careful about who they'd sell too... of course the British are great pet lovers so I wasn't too worried. Saying goodbye to a little one going out the door to a new forever home seemed okay.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
proud to be a cat slave

First of all - congrats for your new additions! We'd (obviously, if you've been around the board a bit you know this) love to see some pictures!

As for the kitty birth - it's true, your little momma should do just fine. We took in a stray many moons ago that was pregnant before we could get her altered.. We set up a cardboard box with some blankets, and as we were eating dinner, out came 7 little darlings . (and wouldn't you know that each one of them looked like a different cat from our neighbourhood - my kitty got around! )

The mom Tiger knew what to do - cleaned each one, took care of the placentas (by eating them ), and taught them how to use the litter box.

Aside from making sure the possible runt gets enough food, you won't need to interfere too much.

I'll try to dig up the picture I took of mom and her proud brood.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)