Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
OMG :sad:
Sick isn;t it, but I find it quite common in many rural areas:sad:

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Sorry for going off topic,
It's right on topic ! People now come to me for these things too.
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Queen

Truly amazing the lack of I dont know a lot of things. I just don't understand how you can't get attached to a pet. I mean even if you don't get along or click or whatever how can you just send them to thier death? Ya I don't get it.
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
That's why more and more vets go into depression. I had that conversation with my vet, he hates doing it, but he rather do it than to have these people dump the dog in the woods or worse, euthanize the dog themselves.
Frenchy I was going to say something along those lines, so I will just add my

Growing up in the country on a farm that is how we got our dogs and cats. People would decide that they didnt want the pet anymore, and instead of paying the vet (ours charges $80 for a cat) to put it down, they just drive out to the country and kick it out the car door. I have seen cats show up at our place in an awful mess, scratches, missing a tail, bad coat, fleas, mange, lice, open sores, etc...

Shelters here charge to drop a pet off too, so they think this is the cheapest and easiest way to get rid of the "problem". We had to put a dog down when I was a kid, it attacked me and bit my face (I was not badly injured and still love dogs), this was a dog that just showed up one day so we have no idea what the background was, maybe this was not it's first time.
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

If you read the euthanization form in most vets office it says that if they think they can rehome your pet they have the right to do it. Our vet in Calgary has successfully rehomed plenty and one with us so far. I'm not sure why a vet would kill a dog or cat if they were perfectly healthy. This thread is exactly why I think there should be a black list of names of people who have abandoned pets before. I think it would be extremely helpful for a rescue organization to know if the family they are considering giving their precious dog or cat to has a history of neglect and abandonment. There are so many lately who want to give up their dog because it isn't house trained or obedient. Who's fault is that? People are not willing to take responsibility for anything it seems like now. OOOPS. Now I'm ranting too.