Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:41 PM

Fleas????

Who is using what?
And who is recommending what?

We used some over the counter brand and ended up having fleas in the house and still fight with them in the bedroom ( the rest of the house is fine by now ).
The vet we go to gave us first shield BUT im not 100% happy with it!
Our dogs are mostly inside dogs but we of course walk them and they are allowed in the backyard as well.
Sky is sleeping with me in the bed ( now couch since the bedroom is a no go unless to spray against the fleas ) whenever my husband is gone, so it has to be something really good but also not bad for the dog skin.
I cant wait to hear all the story's!!!!!!

Lil
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
Doggie Wench

Advantage Multi for all our dogs with the exception of one who we use Revolution for. They're topical solutions and applied on the skin between the shoulder blades. They're also only available through your vet. A bit pricy but worth every penny imo.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
Geek Club CEO

Here's the thing with fleas: they have a very long life cycle, and in order to treat an infestation successfully, you have to treat ALL the animals in the house, full-time, for quite a few (ie 3-6) months. I would be looking for a topical like revolution or advantage. Pricey, yes, but effective. I personally wouldn't trust too many brands you can buy in pet stores etc...get something from your vet. Then you need to launder everything you can: pillows, bedding, throw rugs etc. and vaccum everything else, even hard floors (eggs can hide in cracks). Keep treating the animals in the meantime...eggs can lie dorman for months, then hatch and attack your animals...if they're being treated properly you'll stop any future reproduction.

by the way, where do you live? (just wondering about what kind of environment/temperature you're dealing with)
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:02 PM

We use since 2 month first shield ( from the vet ) should i still give it a try since 2 month is probably not long enough to be happy or unhappy with something?

I never had fleas so i was and im still a little bit over whelmed! Where im from fleas are no problem!

I bombed and used salt and different sprays, washed everything with dawn ( it really helps and is good on animals too young for the regular flea treatments, so we down to one room and that room the fleas probably came in with the mama cat and the kitten i fostered that's why its so bad in there!

We are from Tennessee and the vet said this year the fleas are really bad...
Im new here so i have no idea at all lol

Lil
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We use Frontline Plus (another topical) primarily for ticks--but it also kills adult fleas and flea eggs for up to three months. It won't directly kill any of the eggs on the bedding and carpets, but with repeat treatments, anything that hatches and jumps onto a dog to feed will die before it's mature enough to lay eggs. So if you miss some of the eggs in the environment, you and your dogs will still be protected.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
NOT a senior member

For the first time in twelve years of living in Alberta, we got fleas in our house this year. I was mortified. Yes the honeymoon was over, and they were biting ME. Having lived with pets on the west coast for years, I am all too familiar with the little beasties, and almost forgot what havoc they play when they get into the house and on your pets.

I guess I got a false sense of security, living here in a cold dry climate....and I suppose the fleas came around this year because of the unseasonable warm start we had to winter.

To make a long story short...it had been a LONG time since I had to treat any fleas, and things have certainly changed since I last had to. I frantically called my vet, and picked up doses of "Revolution" for all five dogs. The cost was something around $120.00 for the lot of them. They dose by weight, so my three Minpins were reasonable...but the Dane and Bullmastiff cost more of course.

One application (between the shoulder blades), suppose to last a month to kill adult fleas and the eggs. I did buy some spray as well from the pet store, to treat the beds and the furniture. Also....vacuum, vacuum, and vacuum some more. Change the vacuum bag too. Launder all bedding as well, dogs and yours just to be sure.

I did not see another flea since I applied the Revolution. Right after I bought the stuff we finally got seasonally COLD weather (Murphys Law), something like -47 and those fleas didn't stand a chance anyway.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:11 PM

Someone did tell me about k9advantix! We are good till the 15th than we need to decide if we stay with what we have ( the package is empty ) or if we try something new, thats why im asking! I really want the best of the best even if it coast more but knowing that i dont get bitten ( the fleas bite just me what is good somehow ) is priceless!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:19 PM

http://www.revolutionpet.com.au/PetO...evolution.html

That sounds so good!!!!!! And that i can let the dogs swim is a big big plus! I think i will get this one!!

Lil
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:20 PM
-

It happened twice here , when I moved in this house , and when one of the cats caught a mice , got fleas from it and gave it to the dogs and other cats.

Both times I used Advantage and didn't have to "treat" the house. Vet explained to me that , since the treatment gets into their skin , all the fur that they shed after the treatment , will treat the house , everywhere their fur goes. Pricey , but effective
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Doggie Wench

Just had a thought. With fleas sometimes come tapeworm. If a pet were to ingest fleas, either by eating an infested animal or by chewing on themselves, there's a possibility they can get tapeworm as well. A whole other medication (Drontal I think it is) will kill the tapeworm. Please keep an eye on the stool of all your pets. you won't have to deal with that too .
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Just had a thought. With fleas sometimes come tapeworm. If a pet were to ingest fleas, either by eating an infested animal or by chewing on themselves, there's a possibility they can get tapeworm as well. A whole other medication (Drontal I think it is) will kill the tapeworm. Please keep an eye on the stool of all your pets. you won't have to deal with that too .
Advantage also treats tapeworm
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:31 PM

I always check their poop because i feed the bones and raw meat diet, i know its "nasty" bu i always like to know if i have the right amount of bones and and and.... ppl sometimes stare at me checking what i pick up
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil View Post
ppl sometimes stare at me checking what i pick up
yep , you are not alone
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Advantage also treats tapeworm
I don't think so Frenchy . Just about every other worm but not tapeworm . It's prescribed for heartworm, fleas, hookworms, roundworms and whipworms (omg, I'm gonna be now).

Quote:
I always check their poop because i feed the bones and raw meat diet, i know its "nasty" bu i always like to know if i have the right amount of bones and and and.... ppl sometimes stare at me checking what i pick up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
yep , you are not alone
I can hear dh yelling, "will you STOP that!"
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM

thank god!!!
My 6 years old wants to look too now and it makes me kind of proud! I know he wont neglect animals in any way being older ( what not means pet owners neglect animals if they dont look at the poop ).
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM

I prevent worms right now with shredded carrots and coconut flakes and for right now it works really good! But we do let the vet check also just to be really safe
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:51 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I don't think so Frenchy . Just about every other worm but not tapeworm . It's prescribed for heartworm, fleas, hookworms, roundworms and whipworms (omg, I'm gonna be now).

I don't have the box anymore but I thought it did
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:59 PM
Doggie Wench

Just checked the Bayer website and there's no mention of tapeworms .

http://advantagemulti.petparents.com...eMultiDogs.cfm

Wouldn't it be great though if there was one single product that was safe and took care of everything??