Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM

frenchy had asked

frenchy asked a while ago about a dog i took in so here goes... long story shorter.. a familly member decided they couldnt take care of their 13 year old dog, new baby and all:sad: as her allergies were just too bad. i went outside to see her and being very calm.. said i would take her in. she had a systematic yeast infection through her body... black elephant skin, ear infection, horrible smell, was skin and bones arthritis and on top of it incontinent this i found out later. they had tried the typical vet routine, although i didnt like their vet once i got my hand on her charts... and was routinely given steroids, antibiotics which made her worse. Anyway

after 24 days, and on all natural herbs, omegas etc, change to california natural her skin is losing the elephant look, had to put her on a five day treatment of ointment for her ear, her smell is almost non existent, i have gone from bathing her once a day to every five now. lets just say i am a lot more tired than usual between that and daily washing of blankets and such.
We hadnt planned to keep her... still now though just taking it day by day, i know they cant keep up with the diet, supps etc i am givin her so giving her back may not be an option once she is healthy. lastly got her urine sample turned over to my vet, and should find the results out in a day or so. If it is just spay incontinence i can give her proin and that problem will be solved, if it is kidney damage or diabetes, i fear that i will not be able to deal with the monetary aspect of taking care of that long term, along with the time for insulin, or sub qs having two other animals that all ready have their own health issues.

this has been a fight within me, and a stress on me and my hubby as he wasnt impressed of the ignorance of her condition. i think the family member did what they could all the trips to the vet showed that, but then just gave up as she wasnt getting better, plus they had no concept of nutrition etc. ive kind of made peace with the fact that we have given her such a quality of life, and am saying prayers that the leaking wetting is just an old age issue. if that is so, i may just bite the bullet and reason with him to take her in indefinitely.

she is doing so much better now, and has such spirit, and wants to go on walks with us, real gentle soul. have just started her on glucosamine as well, she is arthritic, but wanted to wait a few weeks as so much else was going on didnt want to put too much into her at one time.
so here is a pic of her now.. just sent a face shot of the before, you wouldnt want to see the others, but she is doing so much better my vet was amazed, and lastly on her new food she has gained a few pounds in the last few weeks..

so bottom line, please put a prayer out for her, that her urinary issues are nothing major, at least then.. hopefully i can keep her for a longer time.
Attached Images

Old June 16th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

omg the first pic is soo heartbreaking. Ure amazing for being so calm and patient with her and chugging along as you are.

I really pray nothing serious is wrong with her causing the incontinence .

She looks so much better and is so lucky to be with you. Again, you are just amazing. As is she - she looks like such a gentle soul.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That poor dear! And you're such an for taking her on, loopoo! She looks like a sweetheart. What's her name?

that it's just spay incontinence and easily treatable!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Loopoo you will be paid a million times over for taking in such a sweet old soul! My god thanks for having the patience it sometimes takes with a senior doggey! I am sending good vibes your way that her troubles are treatable! She looks so content in the second picture!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:23 PM
-

there you go making me cry , omg , that poor dog , and such a stupid stupid vet !! I can't believe this ! I am so thankful you took her in , thank you so much , from the bottom of my heart ! She look so relax / in peace in that second picture , you have done a wonderful job. And I sure hope her problems are all over , so that you can keep her ! I know I can't be much help but please , if there's anything I am in a position to do , please ask !

Thank you so much again , you are her angel !

oh and , do you think her previous owners could help with her care costs ?
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:37 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Exactly Frenchy - there you go making us cry! Thank you, Whatever else it takes! You are an absolute for looking after this gentle lady. What a doll she is!! You have a special spot in Heaven for your helping her.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

That's heart breaking. The first picture has me in tears. Thank heaven she was lucky to have found someone to help her. She's an old girl and deserves to be taken care of. I hope her incontinence is something that can be controlled. How sad that they just gave up on her.:sad:
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:14 PM

thanks guys for all the support.. you are really awesome people.. i guess i am good to cry about other peoples stories so easily, but get knotted up when i have to deal with my own stuff, especially animal stuff, so was nervous to post. her name is Osa she is part chow part lab..

i thought what you thought ancient, but they did have her to the vet several times, unfortunately they had little knowledge of what you all know about nutrition etc, and the vet {corporate) prescribed the standard antibiotics and steroids over and over weakening her system more.. along with a ton of vaccines i am not even sure she needed at her age, and deworming! Anyway i wish i had known soon so i could have helped them before it got this far, unfortunately by that time one of them was paranoid about having her near their baby in her condition, over paranoia for sure.. but oh well...

i am just hoping it is spay incontinence too should find out tomorrow or wed latest
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopoo View Post
i am just hoping it is spay incontinence too should find out tomorrow or wed latest
Please keep us posted , good luck to Osa , she (and yourself) deserve a break !!!

and check your pm.
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You are an absolute angel for helping this poor senior dog. .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Rox - forever in my heart

What a heartbreaking story
The difference in the 2 photos is startling. You are truly an twice over for giving this poor dear a chance. She looks too sweet. I'll be keeping and doing lots of that it is just spay incontinence & that she continues to improve. I'll also be sending you lots of that you have the energy to continue her care. Thank you so much for all you have done for her so far.
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:46 AM

You have done an amazing job and I will remember to keep Osa and YOU in my prayers too. I will pray the uraine problem will clear up. I feel for the owners too, since they really did try to do their best for her. Sad that a vet didn't pay more mind to working with this family to provide them with the education they needed. You have worked a mirical
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:19 AM
-

Bless her little soul Bless you for taking care of her
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Loopoo, you're an angel, thank you so much for helping this girl, she deserves to live out her life pain free and aken care of. If there is anything we can do, let us know.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

loopoo..you are a real angel...What sad eyes:sad:
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:35 PM
proud to be a cat slave

She's a beautiful dog, and you are definitely an for bringing her back to her original glory

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Live well, laugh often

I agree with the others about you being this dog's angel . She is lucky to have you working so hard to make her life better and give her a new start .
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM

just thought to let you know blood tests came in and she had a trace of blood in the sample. vet ran me through the worst case, big C, possible bladder stone, or just simply an irritation from all she has been through. Good news on the other hand is no crystals, ph is good, no glucose issues or anything that indicates kidney malfunction, no indication of infection.

she knows what the situation is, and given that she has gained some weight skin is starting to look better, said to start her on the proin, even make the dose lower if need be and see how she does, if it clears up the incontinence great. she said to just keep an eye on her urine periodically and check for any pink tinge, and be wary if the proin didnt work for some reason. if i did see this i should consider an xray, and or a specific urine test to rule out anything more serious. anyway, at first i freaked out a bit, but she calmed me down said not to jump the gun, take care of first things first, and just watch and see.
Osa seems to be doing bit better every day, so just taking it day by day right now with her.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
-

No no no don't think about the big C , it's only an infection

If she had the big C , my guess is , she wouldn't gain any weight , and she is ... doesn't want to give you false hope but , I sure hope I'm right !

Last edited by Frenchy; June 20th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM

yeah that is what i thought too i mean her skin is so much better as well. i guess i will know if the proin works as well, if it doesnt that will be a sign. i hope it isnt a bladder stone either, that is modified by diet, usually one of the vet variety that i dont much care for, and that would also set her back with all the work i am trying to do with the systematic yeast/toxic reaction she had, or surgery. anyway, i am keeping positive thoughts
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Retriever Fever

Keep positive, Loopoo! You've already done something wonderful for this dog..and she looks beautiful now thanks to you!
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
No no no don't think about the big C , it's only an infection

If she had the big C , my guess is , she wouldn't gain any weight , and she is ... don't won't to give you false hope but , I sure hope I'm right !
That's what I was thinking too, Frenchy, weight gain is a good sign it may not be C.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Think positive. It doesn't always have to be something bad like that. Hopefully with a continuing good diet and good care she'll be good as new again.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Molly's mama

good work Loopoo. The world needs more people like you
That first picture is heartbreaking. But now she looks so content! Look at those wise old eyes!
I would love to see more pictures of her
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'd love to see more pics, too, loopoo!

that the Proin works and the irritation clears up! The old girl has been through a lot Remember she had a systemic yeast infection--maybe that's causing a residual irritation in the bladder.

:goodvibes for Osa's quick recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:00 PM

couple more pics

here you go, i have to say i am so happy the hair around her eyes and muzzle is really starting to come back, and she has gained weight, and the skin on her belly is no longer black and thick, it is gray with some pink..
Attached Images

Old June 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM

last couple of pics
Attached Images

Old June 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She has such soulful eyes, loopoo. And you're an .

Old June 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

What a lucky girl. She's looking so much better.

Old June 20th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

Bless your heart for taking in this sweet furry soul !!