Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 9th, 2007, 06:42 PM
-

Need to rant

So one of my ex coworker came to my work place this afternoon with her partner. We know eachother well, they came to visit my place once or twice. They know I do rescue. But still they always go against what I tell them.

First dog; they bought at a pet shop they got a dog who they have been told would be max 60 pounds. I laugh when I saw the dog (was a puppy with HUGE paws) he is now 80-90 pounds, border collie mix. Then they got a male ****zu , they bred him with a female and kept a puppy

So her partner tells me she's mad at them cuz one of them destroyed her eye glasses (you shouldn't leave them on the coffee table I told her) and she goes on to tell me she'll probably get them euthanize cuz she's fed up. Her yard is a mess (and she tells me I should see her yard...me, who has 3-4 dogs on all time) and that she wants to go to Florida next x-mas and it's too expensive to get them into a kennel.

So I tell her, fine, but I can help get the dogs into a rescue. She refuses and tells ME that dogs are meant to be with one family, they can't get used to a second family....I reminded her I was with a rescue and it's totally not true !! So after a few minutes trying to save her dogs's life, I just walked away, my blood was boiling. Someone else who was part of the conversation told me her partner told her why why why did she tell me those things , to me ? I hope she'll changes her mind, how stupid to have 3 dogs put down....
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Omg that is so sad:sad:
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
-

YIKES...very sad indeed. :sad: Does her partner feel the same way?
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Flyball Mom

Crazy. How could anyone, for those reasons?

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
YIKES...very sad indeed. :sad: Does her partner feel the same way?
Her partner (my ex coworker) knows me better, so she wasn't saying anything. She did call me after this, but it was off topic. If her partner still wants to do it, I think I could get my friend to just drive the dogs to my place and say she dropped them off at the vet, I only need one signature to release the dogs into a rescue.
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
Crazy. How could anyone, for those reasons?
The sad thing is (and I did pointed it to her) she's the one who wanted to breed her dog, she's the one who wanted a third dog. I told her they were HER responsability, they shouldn't have to die just because she cares more about her yard and her floors.
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Live well, laugh often

That is just so darn frustrating Frenchy :sad: . I hope the partner will get her to surrender them to you .
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Flyball Mom

Well, in my world, and probably the worlds of all of us here, pets are a lifetime responsibility, just like children. I don't believe in disposable pets, and I, unfortunately, know a lot of people that do.

I know someone that put their dog down because they wanted to go on vacation and had no one to look after it. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about it until after the fact. I hope this doesn't happen to these dogs.

As far as floors and glasses go, that's one word... training!

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

poor things..... i hope they consider rescue.....
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

That just sucks!!! Some people make me so sick! How frustrating it must be for you, and why would she even tell you all this, knowing you are in rescue, unless she was trying to P you off

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
-

I think she was too mad to think to whom she was talking to. But yes, still too many people think pets are disposable ; saw 2 adds this week end that just made me so sad ; free to good home, one 9 yr old Beagle, one 10 yr old lab mixt :sad: one even said they were looking for a family who would love their dog as much as they do !!! That won't be too hard considering they want to give their dog away after 10 years.
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Some of these people are raising children and teaching them some of these wonderful values they have. No wonder there are so many of them out there.

Cindy
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

words cant describe how im feeling right now, I cant even begin to imagine how you must be feeling
For fear of getting myself banned im not even going to comment on what I think of these " people" :sad:
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:20 PM
-

I know Erykah, like for you this week , will be hard cuz you won't get to see the fuzzbutts for 2-3 days. And these people would be ready to have their own pets put down they don't deserve the company of animals. They are not worthy.
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:34 AM

That's so sad. I hate it when people think dogs will be so unhappy without them that it's better that they die instead. It's the most selfish, arrogant thing anybody can ever do.:sad:
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Retriever Fever

People suck! People like this should not just be banned from breeding dogs but from reproducing themselves!

Hugs to you Frenchy, as I know that blood boiling feeling - it so upsetting to see how selfish people are!

I have a neighbour that ditches her dog every once in awhile because she is too 'busy' to have a dog... but that never stops her from getting yet another puppy because they are 'too adorable to resist'!!! ARGH!!!

Despite offers of help and training/resuce advice, she neglected her first dog out in the yard 24-7. At least she pawned him off on her ex (luckily for the dog, the ex is a great dog owner!). The second one "went missing" (yeah right - in other words you opened the gate and said 'get lost'). I caught them in a lie on that one since they said they'd been phoning the humane society looking for him every day. I called and talked to the humane society and they said "what? No one ever has called looking for this kind of dog".
Now they are on dog #3 - a puppy chihuahua mix. He's totally unsociallized because guess what - she ignores him too!

ERG ERG ERG!!!
Old April 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Animal Lover

I can't believe there are veternarians out there that just put dogs down because the owner doesn't want them anymore. I would think there would have to be a medical reason or something!?!? Frenchy I'm sorry. That must stink... I know hubby and I are going out of town this weekend for two nights. We are boarding our two for the first time. It's not cheap, but it's worth it to know they are safe and secure. I just can't imagine taking them to a vet and asking the vet to put them down for me because they are a nuisance I don't want anymore. :sad:

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandynva View Post
I can't believe there are veternarians out there that just put dogs down because the owner doesn't want them anymore.
That's why more and more vets go into depression. I had that conversation with my vet, he hates doing it, but he rather do it than to have these people dump the dog in the woods or worse, euthanize the dog themselves.
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Owned by goldens

Need to rant

You must have wanted to bop her in the head and knock some sense into her head. I know I would have.
It is so hard to listen to some people's excuses. To euthanize a dog because you want to go on vacation or because it ate your glasses is ridiculous.
The only consolation I get is knowing that one day these people will have to answer to a higher authority and explain their actions on earth.
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
You must have wanted to bop her in the head and knock some sense into her head.
Not even, I was too in shock. I couldn't believe she was telling ME all of this when she knows what I do !
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:46 PM

That is awful. I hope they change their mind and get the dogs into a rescue.
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I think there should be a test or something that if you don't pass then you can't own a dog !!

then maybe this would not happen these poor doggies :sad:
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
I think there should be a test or something that if you don't pass then you can't own a dog !!

then maybe this would not happen these poor doggies :sad:

Yeah like a license to own animals.......and to have kids!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old April 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Flyball Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Yeah like a license to own animals.......and to have kids!!
I totally agree with that, wouldn't that make the world a better place.

Sometimes they go to the vet with excuses like "my dog bit a kid riding past on his bike", okay, than tie the dog up so he won't do that... or socialize him better. Some people just don't give a ****!!!!

Old April 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Furball Farmer

Too weird I just found this post, because a friend of mine (yes another STUPID pet owner) called here about an hour ago wanting to know what she could do with her cat.
She was like "Well I am at a point in my life where I can't handle a kitten and he is a really good kitten but I just can't keep him anymore, can you take him (uh no I have 3 cats and 2 dogs) or do you know what I can do with him or should I just find someone to shoot him?"
OMG I hate when people suggest shooting their pet, how barbaric could you be?

Sad fact is she has 2 yr old son who adores the kitten and she's going to get rid of it.

I fortunatley talked her into phoning the president of our rescue society and she said she would love to have him adopted out, so hopefully he will end up at a foster home. I'll call her later and find out what happened.

Also our local vet will question your motive for euthanizing your pet and if she thinks the pet could be re-homed then she encourages the owner to call our rescue society first. So at least she tries to give the animal another chance.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM

I think this is a very good case for animal cruelty.
Old April 11th, 2007, 06:23 PM
NOT a senior member

A very, very sad story. Too bad that there are many people out there that don't value their pets as they should. I can only imagine that there is an underlying character fault with people who treat their pets as disposable, and omg, disposable enough to end their life when they are "inconvenient". Makes me sick to my stomach. Somebody with moral character such as this would worry me with children as well. Pretty disgusting. :sad:

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I wonder how these people would react if the tables were turned. they would then find out what it would be like knowing the pets could end human lives cause they got tired of them or that they wanted to go on vactaion and it was to expensive to board HUMANS........ where would they be then.... I really detest people like this
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippincherri View Post
find someone to shoot him?"
OMG :sad:
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Why does everyone who want's to dump their pet, always come to the people who already have too many?? I ALWAYS get people asking me if I want their cat/s because they are getting rid of it!! What do I look like the crazy cat lady . I alread have 5, (they always say "well whats one more" ) It actually is a good opportunity for me to make them change their minds, or at least talk them into giving them to a reputable rescue.

Sorry for going off topic,