Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Price of dog food rising?

I was at Best West Pet Foods the other day and asked if the price of dog food was rising. I've heard lots of rumours but the Orijen puppy is still the same price.

They told me that the price of cheaper foods (e.g. Eukanuba) is rising, so now it's almost the same price as the premium foods. Even though the price of the premium foods like Orijen hasn't yet changed, they think it will.

Wondering if any of you have heard this also? And are you stocking up now while the price is lower?
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:33 PM

I know the Wellness Core Ocean Formula that Patrón is on has definitely had a price increase.

But with the economy I can understand it...
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wellness cat food went up in price.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 18th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I just paid $79.00 for a 26 lb bag of Welness Core
I checked the price of Orijen which is also $64.99 (before tax)
Plus a feed half a can of wet food mixed with the dry.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Cat food, even the cheap kind, is more expensive. Friskies went from 99cents to 1.39 for a big can in some places. At Mondou it's still 87cents but I expect that will also rise.
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM

I was in Petcetera on Friday and the prices of Go! went up to $72. Luckily they were on sale $10 off. The price of gas has gone down so I'm wondering what gives?
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,I was told at Global/Ryan all pet-food is going up,I buy the small cans of Wellness no grain for my cats,and they went from $1.05 to $1.19,I am going to buy the next size up,it will be a bit cheaper or maybe even the large cans,however my cats are not very keen on food that has been in the fridge,even though I warm it a bit.
Everything else is going up,so why not pet-food too,it's a sign of the times
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:12 PM

Hubby and I are already having a hard time paying for the pet food :sad: It's really frustrating. I hope that there will be some kind of relief to this, like coupons or Sales . I'm trying to make a switch to a better food for the cat's, especially with Felix's fur problem.

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM

but gas is going DOWN! I saw $1.97 a gallon today!
Hopefully food will follow suit and go down too!
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Innova has left the cost of a bag alone, but the bags are slightly lighter. They've also done some minor tweaking of their formula...luckily, none of our dogs seem to have noticed.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:38 PM
-

I feed Kirkland , it has gone up $10.00 per bag , every time I buy one they raise it $1 to $4 dollars at a time
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Master of the Drool!

My dog food went up in price. The Pet Value store I went into said they were going up everywhere and it would be all pet food:sad: We finally get a break in gas and now pet food. I also noticed a hike here on people food as well.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:52 PM
chronically insane.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Gas is $1.77 or less where I live, but they keep tacking on fuel surcharges. Today at work, my boss ended up calling up the company that was delivering our dog food and said if they don't remove the $18 fuel surcharge he's not taking in the order!

Everything has gone up. FYI to Natura Pet customers.... they redesigned their bags but sneakily they hid that they are reducing the size! So watch what you buy from NP because they are ripping you off!!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A lot of the price changes are directly due to the increased fuel costs in the recent months. If gas prices stay low, companies may begin to lower their product prices as well, since it costs less to ship. Depends on what else might be acting to drive inflation...like printing money to bail out the financial markets

But we can hope, can't we

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If gas prices stay low, companies may begin to lower their product prices as well,
pfttt , they'll find a way to keep the prices up

Gas is 0.84 (a liter) here , I already see a difference in my budget ! It HAS to stay this way
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM

It's not only the fuel costs - ingredient costs have been very volatile this year. Corn usually follows the price of gas and most of the cheaper formulas have a lot of corn. All commodity prices have been very high in 2008. Groceries have gone up a lot as well. Hopefully we will some relief with the price of oil dropping but I doubt it will be immediate.
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:59 PM

Raw is getting to be a better value all the time.
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've considered raw, but we're about 45 miles from the store and have 8 dogs to feed--it would likely be cheaper if the price of gas stays down, but I don't have enough freezer space

Old November 19th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Obsessed animal lover

The price of rice has skyrocketed so I am assuming that food prices in general are rising. I am paying more for groceries for myself so I would think that pet food would follow - I feed my dog homemade food and meat and veggies have all gone up. Some companies may try to avoid raising their prices but they probably won't be able to for long. With all the natural disasters occurring all over the world, our food sources are being depleted. Kinda scary.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM

As a small independent retail pet food/supply store owner, I can safely say that only one of our distributors is adding on a fuel surcharge and that is only recently. For the rest of our distributors, I suspect their rising fuel/operating costs are figured into the prices they are charging me for products I order.

One thing to note - all of the delivery trucks that come to our shop are diesel powered and the last time I checked, the price of diesel where I live (calgary, Alberta) is still well over $1.00 a liter. Also, the lower fuel costs (gasoline) are probably only temporary and pet food prices probably won't be adjusted unless it is a long term fuel price reduction of at least a year or more.

For the most part, any pet foods that have grains in them have generally seen one or several price increases over the past year due to increasing commodity prices - higher grade (read grainless) foods have not seen the associated increases yet, but it's bound to happen as the meat sources in those foods (chicken, beef, lamb, fish, etc) all are generally fed grains.

One thing to note is the falling Canadian dollar is going to most likely result in American pet food products increasing once again in Canada - Canadian products such as Champion (Acana/Orijen), Horizon (Complete, Lagacy), Petcurean (Summit, GO!, NOW!), Canadian Natural, Royal Canin, Techinical and O&M to name a few are all going to compete very well against imported products on a cost basis.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:41 PM

Welcome to pets.ca wanderer. Thanks for the information!!! Good luck in the Grey Cup on Sunday.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:08 PM

I have also seen a rise is food prices and while I agree that the price of gas is down those who ship the food drive big rigs which use diesel and the price of diesel is still quite high.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM

I started Kirkland a year ago and it's jumped 10.00 in a year. Still my dogs do great on it, Orijen my dogs were allergic to that, both reg and fish.