Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 4th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

How often do you say something when they don't pick up

Just curious,

I'm generally a quiet dude but lately I'm seeing quite a few people letting their dog do their business without picking up after them... The last few times I've witnessed it, I've called out loudly in English and French telling them "the street/park/alley etc. is NOT your dog's toilet" .

Each time I get ignored. So far the culprits have been 100% male owners.

Is there anything more I can do?
(Keep in mind I'm in fairly good shape but I only weigh a buck fifty and I'm 5"6 and a half on a good day and I have no wrestling/boxing experience )

Thx - Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Marko, I notice this also quite a bit. Again mostly from the men but the occasional females as well.

What I do is try to catch up to them and smile and hand them a new bag. I tell them I know what it's like to 'forget' my bag. They ALWAYS turn around and go pick up while I watch and smile.
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I too carry extra bags in my pocket, and when I see someone not picking up I will go up to them and ask them "did you forget your bag??" I then proceed to hand them a bag. half the time they go and pick it up ( with the most dirties look at me that would put me 20 feet under ) then I tell them where the nearest garbage cans are..

but there are times that the person will tell me to "F" off
I find it's both men and women and especially kids (kids are easy )
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:58 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
Ibut there are times that the person will tell me to "F" off
I find it's both men and women and especially kids (kids are easy )
those are the people i will usually toddle along behind with the bag now full of their dogs poop and when they arrive home i politely deposit it on their doorstep. The ones that tick me off the most who let their dogs go in a school yard and then walk away..
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I like BM's suggestion. Really, people who don't pick up after their dog are the first ones who complain when they step on poop!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Marko I have done the same as BM where I politely tell them I know what its like to run out of bags. Most people appreciate it. However they are probably cursing me all the way home..

I have also yelled out my front door at a person that was going to leave it on my front lawn . They yelled back they were coming back with a bag. I offered one and they said no but did come back and pick it up...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Marko, I notice this also quite a bit. Again mostly from the men but the occasional females as well.

What I do is try to catch up to them and smile and hand them a new bag. I tell them I know what it's like to 'forget' my bag. They ALWAYS turn around and go pick up while I watch and smile.
GREAT idea BM, breeze and others, thx! My issue is I don't have a dog (yet)....but i guess i could carry a few bags anyway and suffocate the bum if he doesn't take your advice. Then i could adopt the dog, lol.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
GREAT idea BM, breeze and others, thx! My issue is I don't have a dog (yet)....but i guess i could carry a few bags anyway and suffocate the bum if he doesn't take your advice. Then i could adopt the dog, lol.

they sell small rolls of bags that easily fit in you pocket, they are good for a number of things like dirty tissues,(instead of leaving them loose in your pockets) amoung other things..
Old October 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Doggie Wench

Marko, if the alley is near your home, you can throw a small garbage can with a few bags attached to the handles, or on a fence nearby? Maybe a little sign that says, "aidez-nous a garder la ruelle propre" or something like that? The dog park I used to go to years ago, people used to tie clean bags to the fence near garbage cans for those who forgot their bags. I also noticed bags tied to fences in open fields where people tend to walk their dogs. For the most part, it worked . I think some folk (aside from being really lazy) can be terribly embarrassed to be seen picking up poop, never mind carrying around a bag of it for an hour or so.

And for those who still don't pick up, even though it's made easy for them, and if they've been reminded, you can always take note of their walking schedules (if you see the same offenders all the time), take a photo, and hand it over to animal control or whoever is responsible for enforcing animal by-laws in your area. Sometimes a financial deterrent is enough for these people to start taking responsibility.
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post

And for those who still don't pick up, even though it's made easy for them, and if they've been reminded, you can always take note of their walking schedules (if you see the same offenders all the time), take a photo, and hand it over to animal control or whoever is responsible for enforcing animal by-laws in your area. Sometimes a financial deterrent is enough for these people to start taking responsibility.

unfortunately that never works. we always get an excuse as to why they can't issue fines.
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:36 PM

It's a good idea LP but I'm with Breeze here, and I don't have the time for all that animal control jazz. I'll stick with BM's plan and suffocation in case it doesn't work

appreciate the input though,

Marko
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Investigative researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
It's a good idea LP but I'm with Breeze here, and I don't have the time for all that animal control jazz. I'll stick with BM's plan and suffocation in case it doesn't work

appreciate the input though,

Marko
I like the way you think, Marko, lol.
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:48 AM

I am the poop picker in my house, my BF never picked the poop, I tried to convince him but it's not happening. I pick it up 99% of the time, sometimes it's unpick-able, sometimes I will chuck it in a bush since people don't go in their bushes.
A few times I have been walking in the alley and had people tell me I need to pick up my dogs poop, out of nowhere, I usually whip out my bag and wag it in their face.
I don't know where they come from feeling they need to tell me to pick it.
Another woman came out of her house and accused me of not picking up after my dog after he sniffed her yard, didn't even pee or anything.
Oh and all the people who tell me my dog can't walk on their 2x2 patch of grass,when technically it belongs to the city because it's so close.
Wish people would only say something when they see you not picking up...

The people who really get me are the ones who leave it at the dog park, their dog craps, someone tells them and then they wander around for a few min seemingly pretending to look for it before giving up and going to sit down again.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:40 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
A few times I have been walking in the alley and had people tell me I need to pick up my dogs poop, out of nowhere, I usually whip out my bag and wag it in their face. I don't know where they come from feeling they need to tell me to pick it.
I've had this done to me as well. Some people have nothing to do but look out their window and wait for anyone to dump on

Quote:
Another woman came out of her house and accused me of not picking up after my dog after he sniffed her yard, didn't even pee or anything. Oh and all the people who tell me my dog can't walk on their 2x2 patch of grass,when technically it belongs to the city because it's so close
Do we share neighbours?

Marko If you know where these people live, bag it and put it on their door knob. I've done this and called AC - they got a ticket. People like this ruin it for the rest of us who are responsible and just want to walk/exercise our dogs in peace.
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Compromised account

LOL Marko!
Suffocation works for me!
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM

May I join the rant? My dad and I were at the dog park today, and what's almost worse the the people who don't pick up at all are the ones who do pick it up and then can't walk the 5-10 minutes back to the garbage to toss it in. Instead they throw it in the bushes or up in the trees. Not only do others them have to look at the mess, what happens if the wind shakes them down while someone is walking beside or under it? Don't even get me started on the people who do the same with their Timmy's cups.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM

In the bushes is one thing since people don't tend to jam themselves into foliage, but in the trees? where did they get that idea?
A smart method my dad has used in the past, which I will share again is that he use to take the neighbors dog poop and fling it against the side of their house so it dried and cemented into the bricks, the dog didn't come poop in the yard after that... haha
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Marko
if you want to try the suffocation method, you might want to try Safeway bags. Those little poo bags are too small to do the job properly!
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Very amusing answers to a universal problem. I like the suffocation idea and Aslan's about leaving it on their doorstep. I don't need to take mine for walks but around home it's not a set task for anyone, Ian and I both do it if it seems necessary. We have bins and pooper scoopers in 3 areas of the house yard. I will never forget visiting a woman who had my breed, ACD's, and a lovely set of dogs yards, but out the front of her yards was - and I am not joking - a waist high mountain of dog poop, probably a great site for flies to breed. Eeewww, YUK!! She said she didn't know what to do with it. Duh! We told her we bag ours and it goes to the tip.
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Ahhh yes, the ole problem of those leaving their dog doo laying around.

Occassionally I've had to pick up poop on my front and side yard, from those that are walking by to the off leash field behind my house.

We have a neighbor across the street that allows his dog to poop on other ppl's yards, and recently aquired a puppy. I pick up after their dog when it poops on my next door neighbors yard.

I love High River, they supply dog poop bags all over town. There are posts everywhere with metal green holders full of bags. Rarely have I found an empty one, they are diligent when it comes to keeping them full.

With 4 big dogs, I go thru several of the bags each day, I always take a few extra to shove in my pockets and if I see poop laying around on one of our routes I usually pick it up too.

If I catch someone leaving a dog doo behind I will ask them nicely to pick it up, if they are rude and keep walking I will make a comment like "some ppl shouldn't own a dog", or "how irresponsible". I have been known to pick it up and follow to deposit on their own property, but not neatly bagged on the doorstep...as a previous neighbor in Airdrie experienced.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

We live on a cul de sac at the end of a quiet street. Across from us is a water company driveway and a wooded area. A lot of times the neighbors walk their dogs or bring theyr yard clippings down here instead of going through the trouble of bagging them. When they take them in the woods no problem. We had one guy who was putting things in plastic bags though and leaving them right at the edge of the woods. The town stepped in and put up an unattractive no dumping sign.

Last year one of the neighobrs wa sin the habit of walking her dog down here (maybe more than one but one main culprit) She and her kids probably thought this was better than going th eother direction into the neighborhood so they wouldn't have to pick up. Fine if you're going onto the wooded area but they were on the edge where other people walk, near the sidewalk etc. It's gross and it smells if you don't pick up.

Tom is not alway very tactful but this time he took a little wooden post and a little sign on top "Be good neighbor and pick up after your pet. " He wrapped the top part in saran wrap and left it there for about a week. We were suprised that the town didn't take it down !! But soon all the old poop was gone and we haven't had a problem since.
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Not to thread jack here but every time I read the title of this thread I think it's about picking up after themselves.

I'm getting a little tired of the "We don't have opposable thumbs" excuse. They manage to get the toys OUT of the toy box.