Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 4th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Best Dog Food

Hi all - I have been feeding my 8 month old shepherd mix Eukanuba Adult Large Breed (the vet told me to take him off puppy food months ago because he is quite large). I would like to switch to a better food. I have been thinking about Innova, Blue Buffalo and Newman's Own, but I am open to other suggestions. I would prefer to do kibble over a raw diet. Suggestions, advice, comments? All appreciated - thanks.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

My just turned 3 Eskimo has been on Fromms Four Star since age of 9 months and does wonderfully on it. For him, I like the Salmon A La Veg because Eskies do well on a fish based diet. They also make it in Chicken, Duck and Whitefish. Also - it was NOT! on the recall list.
Old April 4th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Those are good choices. Two others to consider: Timberwolf Organics & Orijen.
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Innova is good, but not the Evo formulas as they are not suitable for growing dogs. Orijen is the same- it's a good food, but not for a puppy.

Another good food is Canidae.
www.canidae.com
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Thanks!

I appreciate the input everyone. Prin, after perusing the forums, you seem to be the expert. What would you go with. He is a 60lb 8 month old shepherd / hound ???? mix. Very active. Exercise about 2 - 3 hours a day. More on the weekends. LOVES any food - not picky at all.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:10 PM

I'd go with Canidae. It seems to be the best value for the best ingredients around. If you can't find it, then innova regular is just as good.
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Hi there. I agree with Prin's recommendations, however if you want to try some other brands you may wish to visit the following sites dogfoodanalysis.com, dogaware.com, & dogfoodproject.com. Not only do they have recommendations they also answer questions that you may have or never thought about. I like to recommend Canadian dryfood companies. Champion pet foods who make Acana & Orijen are made here in Alberta. Some would say that Acana is "grainy" and has beet pulp, however I have seen some VERY healthy dogs @ the off leash park on Acana premium & Salmon & Potato. One of the other foods I would recommend is Go! Natural Chicken Fruit & Vegetable. They also make a grainless Go! however I would wait until your dog is older to try.
Remember it's what your dog does best on!!!! Good Luck!!!
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
I'd go with Canidae. It seems to be the best value for the best ingredients around. If you can't find it, then innova regular is just as good.
I agree. I can't get Canidae here so I feed my boys Innova regular and they are doing very well on it.
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Owned by goldens

Best dog food

I recently switched to Canidae and my dogs are doing wonderfully on it.
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:04 AM

I just recently switched to Orijen puppy formula. I emailed to company to ask if they suggest the adult or puppy formula for my particular dogs breed and age. My vet told me to switch at 7 months. They suggested I keep her on their puppy food for the first year.
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I was feeding Eukanuba for awhile and have since switched to the grainless Orijen. I have noticed a big difference in my two dogs coats, digestion and energy levels. They still really love it - even after 8 months of feeding. I also love that their ingredients are regional and they manufacture their own food!
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:00 AM

You guys are great. Thanks! I actually did go on the pet food project website, when I began looking for a new food and learned a lot about what to look for in a food. I definitely recommend the site for novices like myself! So, I am thinking Canidae - or Orjen. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again - from Cooper too - very helpful!
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM
-

Good luck. Let us know how Cooper makes out.
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:30 PM

I know there are some people on here that mix types or alternate food every bag or two for variety. Maybe thats an option. Or just type you puppy on each for a period of time and see what is best for him.
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Canidae seems awesome!

So far Cooper really loves it and I feel much better knowing I am feeding him a healthier diet. And it's so reasonable - same price as what I was paying for the Eukanuba. One more question - should I throw some fruits / veggies / eggs in there every so often?

Also, just read the thread about Sable - the missing dog. So sad! Everyone say a prayer!
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM

If you want to add things, you can, but personally, I'd wait for your doggy to adjust to the new food completely first.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopsmom from post #12
So, I am thinking Canidae - or Orjen. Decisions, decisions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopsmom View Post
So far Cooper really loves it and I feel much better knowing I am feeding him a healthier diet. And it's so reasonable - same price as what I was paying for the Eukanuba. One more question - should I throw some fruits / veggies / eggs in there every so often?

So, did you go with the Canidae or the Orijen? And, I agree with Prin about waiting for Cooper to adjust first before adding anything to his kibble. Good luck and let us know how he does.
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I went with Canidae just because it was available right at my local petstore. I live in NYC, so walking a long distance with 40lbs....I just don't have muscles like that! But, people have recommended switching foods from time to time, so the Orijen will be the next one I try. How long to wait before I start adding fruits / veggies / egg?
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:40 PM

Till the stools have been firm consistently and there are no effects of the change at all (no gas, no itchiness, etc).
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
-

Also, don't switch him to the Orijen until his poops are consistently firm for awhile.