Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

My brother's JRT-possible rehoming situation

Hey All!

Long time no post. Life has been blissfully hectic for the last 6 months or so (we've got a baby on the way!!), Pets.ca has definitely fallen off my radar unfortunately.

I am posting with a purpose though. My brother has a JRT that I feel needs to be rehomed.

Here's a little history on her. And I hope someone can give me some direction/suggestions for what might ultimately be a better situation for this dog.

Belle is a BYB pooch that my brother and his former GF got together. She claimed to know all there was to know about training JRTs, but really knew nothing. My brother had never had a dog before and was left to train this crazy little puppy all by himself. He tried his best, but really had no idea what he was doing and couldn't afford to go to classes with her.

She lacks basic social skills and cannot be around other dogs (she has bitten dogs in the past). We tried with Skylar (ya'll remember her right?)to get Belle used to other dogs, but came to the conclusion that we couldn't risk Skylar's safety (despite being 75lbs to Belle's 10 lbs).

She's not even really that good with human visitors to the house (never bitten a human as far as I know).

Presently, my brother and his current partner have a 1 yr old son and a very small, old chihuahua mix. Belle has attacked the little dog on many occasions and they keep the 2 dogs separated (which is very taxing mentally for them). They are concerned about their son's safety now that he's on the move, walking and getting into things.

This isn't a case of now we have a baby we can't have pets. My brother does not want to give up on Belle, but she seems so unstable and he's scared of what she's capable of. For him, re-homing hasn't been an option. His partner is totally fed up with Belle's behaviour, having to juggle the dogs in the house, separate walks and feedings and the attacks when the dogs do manage to get in the same room.

BTW, my brother does continue to work with Belle, but without being able to properly socialize her, I fear she will not get better.

I need some guidance. I want to help them find the right solution for Belle. I don't feel that she's getting all that she needs to be a good dog in her current situation.

All suggestions welcomed.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??