Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

inerviews

Ok...please tell me if I am being too sensitive

I have been to a few interviews lately and no one calls or e-mails me to let me know I have been unsuccessful...I have to guess after a few days of not hearing from them (yes, I do usually follow up and usually just get voice-mail or no reply e-mail) I feel that if we take the time to meet each other, a quick e-mail isn't too much to ask for...I mean they are only interviewing maybe 10 people tops out of the 100s of resumes they receive (I have asked). I would think common courtesy would prevail...or am I just strange?

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:12 PM
You can call me DOG!

You're right TacoGirl, common courtesy prevails

When I needed to interview candidates, as a common courtesy, I would contact each individual (that I interviewed) to advise that the position has been filled however; we will maintain your resume on file and appreciated their time.

Some people

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I too find it very inconsiderate when I don't get a call to let me know either way if I got the job or didn't. It's common courtesy. Otherwise I'm sitting around hoping that it's just taking them a while to make a decision and end up disapointed.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

It's almost as if these people have never been through the process from the other side

I mean this last job I thought I had nailed...I had all the skills, experience, creativity needed...I really would have brought something to the company and to their customers (managing a pet store-not Petland)...we even shared the same philosophies pertaining to animals...we shared a few laughs...I got to pet puppies (boarded not being sold)...I am already a customer so I know about the products etc...it was a PERFECT fit! But alas, not even a call back either way and I am VERY depressed about it I thought maybe I was just being over-sensitive...glad I am not the only one who is bothered by the lack of courtesy...makes me think of whether I should still be a customer

Btw...yes, I know I left a "t" out of the title LoL!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Helicopter Champion

I have interviewed several people over the past few years. My approach is very simple - if a person takes the time to meet with me, I will take the time to let them know the status of the position for which they have applied.

Each person I interview, whether they get the job or not, is a potential customer so I don't want them to have any negative impressions of my organization. Many years ago I applied for a position with a company - I did an hour long phone interview and an 'in person' interview .... and that was the last I ever heard from them (they wouldn't even return my phone enquiries). To this day I still remember the company and will not do business with them (yeah, I can hold a grudge! )

Although one way to look at it is that if this is how they treat prospective employees how do you think they treat actual employees?

Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

How long ago was the interview? Maybe they have been busy or the person has been sick.with my new job i had to do 2 interviews and it took awhile.said they would call me the next afternoon i heard from them the following Tuesday.If you do an interview i feel they should call to say if you got the job or not.
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
How long ago was the interview? Maybe they have been busy or the person has been sick.with my new job i had to do 2 interviews and it took awhile.said they would call me the next afternoon i heard from them the following Tuesday.If you do an interview i feel they should call to say if you got the job or not.

It is well past the time frame they gave me for getting in touch...there was only going to be the one meeting and then a meet and greet with my potential staff. :sad:

Time to put the Big Girl Panties on and move on!

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Kitty pimp

sorry i know that sucks i been there lots of rude uncaring people out there
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM

You are not too sensitive, common courtesy is not something a lot of people care about, especially if they are in a position of power. There are a lot of xxxholes out there that have no manners. I deal with a lot of people in the cat rescue world and even volunteers get no respect. I lend people carriers and have to call them several times and they don't return my calls. One carrier was never returned. My trap has been lent many times and I have to call people to get it back. Did they forget that I was doing them a favor???
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have been to a lot of interviews and the norm is: If you haven't heard, then move on. I always ask in the interview when they expect to make a decision and if they will be contacting unsuccessful candidates. 99% of them won't.

I know, the wait is very hard, escpecially if you really want the job and thought you were perfect for it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Kitty pimp

oic taco the one s that get away yeah thierthe hard ones i think a lot of times its sometng they are afraid to tell you? maybe hired a friend or something personal

dont count your chickens as my grannny would say
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

At the very least, you should get a letter. Unfortunately, common courtesy has gone the way of the dodo bird.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Kitty pimp

lol a letter!!!! maybe im aiming to low but i neber ever got a rejection letter e mails yes form letters digused ad pitches yes

But I do agree if the interview is past the 1st call up yeah it would be nice , but dont hold your breath.

btw arounnd here HR seems to be populted by 21 yr old chicas trying to be corporate .
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

LoL! Jim! I must be getting old cuz there seem to be a lot of young uns up here interviewing too!

I was at one interview with a 20-something yr old "lady" who sat there checking herself out in the window reflection picking her nails, playing with her necklace...I sat there and said nothing until she noticed I wasn't talking...it was hilarious! I told her I would leave her to groom herself cuz i wasn't really all that impressed by other things either

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
It is well past the time frame they gave me for getting in touch...there was only going to be the one meeting and then a meet and greet with my potential staff. :sad:

Time to put the Big Girl Panties on and move on!
That's too bad.hopefully something will come your way soon.
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM

I know this is late, but oh my goodness! That is my BIGGEST pet peeve right now, and some days I feel absolutely wretched with bitterness and annoyance! But hey, it's life.

I live in Fredericton, and I've been actively job hunting since October last year. I've had interviews and no call backs from some. Not even an email from some people. From others I get the form rejection letter. I especially love the ones from the gov't that slip up and send their rejection letter out a day before the competition ends. I had to call one office and the lady was so rude about it- that I wished that I just simply said "I'm withdrawing my application". But, I have had some hope and where I met really polite people from Saint John who personally called me to confirm that I made it back to Fredericton alright after the interview. They also called to personally let me know that I didn't get the job. It's the way it should be. It fosters good faith and shows that they treat their employees well.

I've interviewed others before and I have ALWAYS called back. Here, it's a mind game and no one has courtesy. But maybe it's just as well, because I don't know how much longer I can be in this place (New Brunswicker's will know what that means, ).

Sorry to digress...but I know exactly how you feel, and it really sucks, and it's really disappointing and heartbreaking. Hang in there, hopefully we'll get some positive call backs soon.
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I especially like the e-mails that say "It was a pleasure to meet you, however, blah blah blah" and I haven't even been interviewed (phone or in person)!

I actually received an e-mail from Husky (keep in mind, I did not actually interview with them) "Subsequent to our meeting last week, we have determined that while you have skills we are certainly interested in, we are not interested in going forward with your application..." WTF?!?

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Kitty pimp

lol dont you just love HR double speak?

my fav rejections are theones like " well we love ya , but we think you will be bored and leave: uhh huh like boredom is a curse I could use some of that
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
lol dont you just love HR double speak?

my fav rejections are theones like " well we love ya , but we think you will be bored and leave: uhh huh like boredom is a curse I could use some of that
Oh my goodness! YES! I actually said to one lady "Look, I just finished grad school, I CAN'T afford to be bored with the amount of debt I'm carrying. I'd be a good, hard and committed worker and given the job climate I'd be going no where". Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Not even a thank you for interviewing and expressing interest form email.

To add insult to injury I was one of 10 finalists from a pool of 160+ applicants. On the day of my interview some of the roads were closed because we had a snowstorm the night before. TWO of the interviewees before me didn't even show up, but I slugged my way through the snow to be there on time. 15 minutes later and it was all over and all she could focus on was the potential that I'd be bored.

Let me determine my potential boredom. I think I know me, just a tad bit better than you do.

But I did have the guts to ask point blank in the interview if there was another candidate she preferred - and there was. Some lass who lived in the house next door, and who had been using their facilities and programs for the last 7 or so years. This lass apparently was a warm ray of sunshine- such a joy to be around, lol. So I guess they were just going through the motions of procedural fairness.

Maybe today will yield luck for us all. And if not, we'll ....such is life?

TacoGrl....I would seriously have been tempted to call, be sweet as pie and follow up and be like "Was there anything I could have said and done better in the interview"? And after they stutter a bit and say no, then correct themselves and say 'Oh you could have- blah, blah, blah', I would sweetly say "Oh that's good to know, but i didn't get GET an interview. Can I get my chance now?"

Lol.