Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:25 AM

Unhappy Pet Medications

Hi I'm new at this so bear with me.

I just read from Cyberkitten that Bayril (an anitbiotic) perscribed for dogs is the same as the human form of Cipro.

My Ridgeback has a couple of hot spots and the vet always prescribes Baytril at $100.00 a shot!!! I have a full bottle of Cipro here ....does anyone know if I give him the same amount of mg of my Cipro will I be doing him any harm?

thanks
Casey's mom

his hot spots are not caused from some bizar allergy....we have finally figured out that it only happens in the summer when he goes swimming and doesn't get completely dried off. I am going to try and make sure there is no moisture left even if I have to blow him dry the next time.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM

It would be in your dog's best interests to ask your vet that question. I know of no vet who isn't willing to tell owner's how to save a dollar or two by using something they can get at a fraction of the cost. Bring the medication with you to the vet and ask him. If the vet approves, and tells you how much to use, then I would say it's ok.

But do ask your vet.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:51 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You may want to read this thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ight=hot+spots
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Be very careful with Cipro. Definitely check with your vet.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I would defibitely chedck with your vet. Every dog is different and sometimes the weight of the dog is taken into account. And the dosing requirements for the two are actually quite different.

According to the web site www.vetinfo.com "Baytril is usually dosed at 5 to 20mg/kg of body weight/day. At the present time there seems to be a trend towards using the higher dosage once a day rather than the lower dosages twice a day.

BUT please check with your vet! He can tell you how much cipro will do the same thing.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:45 AM

Don't give a dog anything without vet consent. Usually vets will tell you which drugs to use, if they really care about pet health and not profit.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I disagree with you White Wolf

Many vets are disinterested in the side effects of many medications and will not be open minded to change or the use of less toxic holistic means of treatment.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to disagree with you too White Wolf. There are far cheaper meds online or with a script - and vets - even some of the best ones - want to sell the ones they have on hand, not just for profit but to make sure they use them and do not have to throw them out before the time is up. I guess I think that vets like docs should ask their clients what is best for them. Some love the no hassle of having the vet provide the med right there and then. Others do not mind obtaining a script and shopping around at pharmacies.

I DO think ppl should consult a vet however before they mediate a pet!! I would never ive my cats anything unless I discussed it with my vet - and I do pediatric pain research. I developed my own pain concoction for YY post spay and did it with my vet's approval. I actually do some for her off the record now and then (Babies, small children and pets are of similar size sometimes tho cats tolerate narcotics so much better.)
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:05 PM

Casey's Hot Spots

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I called my vet and both of us agreed that we would like to try and keep him off the anitbiotics and steriods if possible. The Cipro is a good substitute and I did no harm but found possibly a better drug free solution.

The key for those nasty Hot Spots is to keep them clean and dry sooooooo....
if anyone is interested:

I washed it well with unperfumed soap..(I used Neutrogena)
I then bathed it with Betadine (an anticeptic).

Then I went out and bought a new blow dryer that has a cool setting on it and blew the tissue dry causing no pain, no damage and cooling and drying it all at the same time. The skin dried up immediately and I've done that 2 times today and this seems to have done the trick. If I keep it up today and tomorrow I'm confident that it will be OK.

Yesterday I used rubbing alcohol to dry it up with a vets advice but I know that had to hurt like the dickens and couldn't bring myself to do it again. This is instant and safe.

Hope this helps anyone else.

Casey's mom
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:24 PM

Pet care not profit

I just wanted to add White Wolf that while I appreciate your advice and I understand what you're saying I'll reasure you that my dog is my child and is one of the MOST important beings in my life. I would never sacrifice his well being for the sake of money. However, 3 months ago I just paid $5000.00 for TPLO surgery on his back knee and unfortunately his hot spots are becoming routine because swimming is the best rehab excerise for his recovery now according to his surgeon. (It works the joint but adds very little stress on it)...plus he loves it. So although he's worth every penny to me I still have to consider money at some point along the line. Sadly we all have some kind of a budget we have to consider.

Nice to see there are so many caring and concerned people out there. Thanks again.

Casey's mom
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

If your dog is a short hair with exposed skin, please take extra care when he is on Cipro. Cipro makes a person more sun sensitive and can cause moles etc. . I am extremely fair and stay out of the sun as it is. Even so, despite always being well covered, I developed several moles on my back as a result of taking Cipro. Had them removed and discontinued Cipro. A couple of former co-workers who were also prescribed Cipro ignored the sun advice - much to their dismay. Not sure if dogs would suffer the same side effects, but since I use sun block on my dog's nose and tummy, I would say he might have a problem with Cipro.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

You are correct Snow Dancer - and for some reason, patients will demand cipro (for their kids in my case) even tho penicillin and other antibiotics are equally effective. It is a result of so much advertising by drug companies, ugh!!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, CyberKitten. Actually when I was on Cipro, the pills cost $4 each - expensive enough without the side effects! But I was unable to use a sulphur product so Cipro it was - until the 11 moles. Not pretty. By the way, 110 words a minute with an 11% error rate is pretty good. I know people considered "fast" typists who can type only 55 on a computer with a 15% error rate. I think my 120 wpm with a low error rate is helped by the fact that I never lost a spelling bee - the pressure!
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey's mom
I just wanted to add White Wolf that while I appreciate your advice and I understand what you're saying I'll reasure you that my dog is my child and is one of the MOST important beings in my life. I would never sacrifice his well being for the sake of money.
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't love your pet enough to spend money. Sometimes it doesn't seem logical to spend two or three times the money on drugs from the vet when there is a human equivalent. Anybody seen how expensive aspirin for dogs is?
Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey's Mom
Yesterday I used rubbing alcohol to dry it up with a vets advice but I know that had to hurt like the dickens and couldn't bring myself to do it again. This is instant and safe.
Ouch! That made me cringe! I had a rash forever when I was little because I was allergic to soap perfume, and my dad's ex, trying to help, alcoholled my rashes!! That was a pain that I'll remember for a lonnng time.

Poor doggy. I hope he is better soon. Seems like there are a ton of hot spots this year.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Betadine does not hurt and it is preferable to alcohol. I use it in surgery ALL the time!! Also used on YY when she had a couple of bald spots in her fur due to I really don't know. I freaked out at 1st of course (being the protective meomy that I am) and then calmed down and dcotored her back to her furry self. Siamese are prone to dry skin tho.

Snow Dancer, thank you for the vote of confidence re typing. <g> Maybe I can thank MSN and my online conferences and this Board, heheh Now if could just learn to spell....
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:22 AM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Just a quick question:
What are hot spots?
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:31 AM

LOL Go here. Luba posted Hot Spots 101: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ight=hot+spots
Old July 23rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Thank you Prin.
I had no idea, in my 26 years of life I dont think I have ever
seen these on a dog at all.
Odd hmm.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:16 PM

I haven't ever seen them either before this year, and now they're everywhere.
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Wink Hot Spots

Sneakypete79 and Prin....don't feel bad about not knowing what hot spots are. Lots of people have never heard of them. I have had dogs all of my life and Casey is the the first dog of mine that has ever suffered from them. Plus I live in the Okanagan in BC and we have virtually no fleas up here so we know that's not the culprit. I had an American cocker for 15 years without ever having one and she had long golden hair. However she hated swimming and always remained dry. My Rottwieler swam all the time but luckily never had one probably because his fur was sleeker and he dried off a lot faster afterwards. Casey is a Rhodesian Ridgeback and semi short hair but it is very thick around his neck area and down the centre of his back which is where he seems to get these nasty sores.....so I guess he stays damp underneath the thickness and viola......Hot Spots and they get ugly before I even see them. They develope very quickly....within hours they can become huge.
So now you know if you ever see one on your baby.

An update......the cool blow dryer worked like a charm. He woke up this morning with it dry and for the most part all healed. What a neat little trick that turned out to be. Today I'm shaving him fairly short for the remainder of the summer to try and make sure he doesn't get anymore. Hopefully that will help, because I hate the thought of banning him from swimming.

As far as the Betadine....the vet told me that Betadine is a wonderful anticeptic but it does not dry so just using that without the alcohol (or now the blow dryer) isn't enough. The soap cleans obviously, the Betadine controls the bacteria that wants to grow and the dryer dries the spot so no more can accumulate.

Casey's mom
Old July 26th, 2005, 04:42 PM

We have been blessed with a vet dermatogist that actually fills almost all scrips at a human pharmacy and actually shopped around for the best price before calling me. She seem to watch my wallet more than I do. And likes using mainly supplements for my dog when ever possible. The first sign I have of a vet that isn't for us, is one that pushes his meds and won't even consider the human form of the drug for the cost savings. We too have spent over $5000 this year on our sick dog. And to have a vet care about what we are spending is so refreshing and encouraging.