Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 25th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I am at work,yes every morning every night i have been working on this,so dont talk to me like i am not trying i dont need that sh^% today,i know what is going on in my home,maybe i just need to vent this out a littel bit,please dont respond if you are jump on my as%&.........I am not here to get critized,i know what i need and am going to do,good day........................
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I do admit it is about me alot also,i will miss him so much i cant even imagine,but in the end the decsion will be about what is best for HIM.......................................I am not that selfish...........
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Senior Contributor

LavR has an excellent post, and here we are as idiots (no offence to anyone that's posting here), but we're STILL trying to help you and you could give a rats arse. You are only thinking of you! I am just waiting for the Monday morning you go to "work" and come on here saying that Damien bit someone, but YOU can't handle the pain it's going to cause when YOU have to put him down. Heidi, quit wasting all of our time. Do your dog a favour. TRAIN HIM or PLACE HIM IN A NEW HOME!
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

QUIT reading the post if you dont like it,you go through something like this and tell me if you arent a bit upset........................And for everyone else that is sick of it,QUIT READING THE POST AND WRITING...........
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

i THINK YOU ARE IN CONTROL OF WASTING YOUR TIME NOT ME...............
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Heidi, it won't be easy to let him go. You are absolutely right. But think of it as doing it for HIM, not you. When I foster dogs and I have had them for be it one week or 3 months, it is extremely hard for me to let them go out the door to their forever homes. I usually cry for a couple days. But you know what? Better for my heart to be broken than theirs. They are going onto a new life, where they will be loved and cared for, just as much as I did. This is the ultimate reward for taking care of these animals. My heart will mend, theirs won't.

I am afraid what will happen with Damien is he WILL bite and then the authorities will get involved and you don't want to see that happen. Take him to the rescue lady and don't go visit for a couple months. Sure you can call and keep updated on him, but don't go and see him. Its not good for your or him.

Remember, your heart will mend, believe me.....

Heather
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott
Look, I will put this as simply and politely as I know how. As I see it, you have 3 options:

1. Get off your computer chair, stop looking at the dog and TRAIN it. Everyone here has given you good places to start and excellent resources.

2. Rehome this dog and LEAVE it there. Bouncing it in and out of homes is NOT good for any dog.

3. Put the dog to sleep.

This dog is a dogbite waiting to happen. We have been friendly and helpful and so far you have whined and cried. When your dog if 2 years old and has all the power of the police dog that they use to subdue some thug who shot his mother, you are going to have MAJOR problems that no amount of work is going to be able to overcome.
Agree with everything.
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Young lady,

I spend my time fighting Breed Specific Legislation so that you have the right to have a powerful untrained dog in your home.

We have tried being nice. We have tried giving you direction to where to go to look for help. We have told you what books to read to get some insight as to how your dog thinks.

WE keep coming back here to see if that light has come on in your head and to see if you are going to do right by this dog, or do we need to be prepared to fight the fight in AZ, when your dog bites a kid.

And don't you for one second think that I don't have a clue as to what I am talking about. I put MY dog down when it was evident that the aggression issues that he had were more then I could handle. So don't think for one second anyone is taking this dogs life lightly.
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Heidi

I know how hard this is for you, you do love him but maybe he is going to be a difficult boy to train. If he is more difficult, then maybe someone with experience with the breed and his behaviour problems would be better suited to care for him. You owe it to Damien to let him have a happy life.

As LavR has pointed out, he is a bite waiting to happen. It would be a dreadful shame that he would bite someone because you didn't look out for his and societies best interest.

I KNOW you think nobody could love him like you can. BUT think of all the wonderful dog people you have met on here. I bet if any of us lived close to you and offered to take him you wouldn't feel so bad right?

Well just think about that, there are many of us that love dogs like you do and have experience, time and ability to train him properly.

Don't target your anxiety of this situation on these very people that are wanting to help and give sound and logical advise to you. You targeted me before and it was unfounded.

I always wanted to ask you this, but why did you name him Damien? Or did your ex bf name him that and why? Just curious!

Sometimes we must think of the future. The longer you wait and the older he gets the more difficult it will be to break him of bad habits and correct behaviour.

I know of dogs Sadies' age, puppies having been pts because they bite..and not puppy bites vicious attack bites!

Like a child with a behaviour problem, structure is important. To me it doesn't seem that you can provide that to him.

UNTIL you get him out of your home, please don't let the ex come over and torment Damien. If you choose to let that man back into your life, that is your business but it looks like it's a bad deal for Damien.

We've been down this road before, advising you and such. As you see we still care...however like the boy that cried wolf one too many times. How long do you think it's going to last? I'm sure many of us cringe going to your new threads/topics hoping not to see something horrid like Damien has lunged at your face or some child.....this is in the cards. Don't play them or him that way!

Make the call, today and stick to your decision (please).
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM

Sammiec and others....

You can just imagine that heartache that Heidi is going through here. No matter who it is better for, it still hurts. Try fostering for awhile.... I know what she is going through, and its not nice. To make the decision to give your dog up, after having him for so long as a pup, that must be heartbreaking. What Heidi needs to do is to think of Damien here and do whats best for him. Its not easy.... I see a cry for help here, nothing more. I think in her mind she has made the decision, however, I think she is on here crying out for some sympathy as to what she is feeling.

We don't want to get into another battle here....

Heather
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Excellent post Goldenmom...

And Hiedi, you don't have to lash out and freak out on me. You're upset because you know that we're right. We are going through this with you because this issue consumes this whole board. Listen to Goldenmom, she knows what she's talking about.
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
Sammiec and others....

You can just imagine that heartache that Heidi is going through here. No matter who it is better for, it still hurts. Try fostering for awhile.... I know what she is going through, and its not nice. To make the decision to give your dog up, after having him for so long as a pup, that must be heartbreaking. What Heidi needs to do is to think of Damien here and do whats best for him. Its not easy.... I see a cry for help here, nothing more. I think in her mind she has made the decision, however, I think she is on here crying out for some sympathy as to what she is feeling.

We don't want to get into another battle here....

Heather
Thanks for the loving word Goldenmom, but if you read what I posted earlier I stressed that it's VERY important that she trained Damien, she said that she can't afford it, therefore we move onto the next logical step. Please don't act as if you are the only two people in the world that have lost or given up a pet. Most of us have all had that "duty" before.
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
Thanks for the loving word Goldenmom, but if you read what I posted earlier I stressed that it's VERY important that she trained Damien, she said that she can't afford it, therefore we move onto the next logical step. Please don't act as if you are the only two people in the world that have lost or given up a pet. Most of us have all had that "duty" before.

What bothers me here is that people are so quick to say "get rid of him, find him a new home etc." Yes, she does need to do that, no doubt about it, however, what I am saying is that she is hurting, just like each and everyone of us would in the same situation. For those of you that have not had to do that, the above post was for them. It appears so easy to say.....

Heather
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
QUIT reading the post if you dont like it,you go through something like this and tell me if you arent a bit upset........................And for everyone else that is sick of it,QUIT READING THE POST AND WRITING...........
I seriously hope you don't think you're the only person around here that has ever had to deal with a dog's behavior problem. I haven't, but from the other (knowledgeable) people's responses, they seem to know what they are talking about. The advice they gave can come from nowhere elso other than experience.

Furthermore, I am tired of reading your repeating posts, but I am worried sick about your dog. And I think everyone here is as well and that is what keeps them coming back.

If you don't want an honest answer and want to be told that you are right and that you are doing everything you are supposed to do, you should have a discussion with a mirror or something, i'm sure it would be understanding and it would agree with you 100%. When you come to a post like this you can't expect people to always agree with what you say and to keep quiet about things that they disaprove of.
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
What bothers me here is that people are so quick to say "get rid of him, find him a new home etc." Yes, she does need to do that, no doubt about it, however, what I am saying is that she is hurting, just like each and everyone of us would in the same situation. For those of you that have not had to do that, the above post was for them. It appears so easy to say.....

Heather
I'm sorry Goldenmom, but I've only been here for a couple of months now, and well.. "it appears so easy to say" that we've been talking about this FOREVER, with NO positive change. It might just be me, but I don't think people we that quick to suggest cutting your loses and getting rid of the dog when this posting began forever ago!
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:09 PM

I'm sure Heidi was hoping for this to get better. It is just Heidi and Damien in her house and when Heidi gives up Damien, its just her. That must be hard to take. Some people cling to their animals for love and affection and think this is the case. It appears that this is very hard for Heidi to do. Once she makes that giant leap, she will understand that it was for the best. She just needs to make that leap (and soon!)

Heather
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Heidi could always get a cat
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Or a pet rock.....
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Goldenmom let me just say i have been through alot of heartbreak type things,but this is gonna be this will be the worst,the little cute things he does remembering him when he was 7 weeks old and just took him home...I know everyone thinks i want what is best for me,NO idont,i know what an unbeliveabley smart dog i have ,and i want that to be put to postive use and if i cant provide it i want him to go where someone can..................So yeah i have every right to be unsure and selfish,i love this dog alot...............
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Smmiec,if you are sick of me,GO AWAY,if i annoy you GO AWAY,when i first gave him up,this problem never showed,i had no idea at all he would get this bad,i am so happy you have never had to go through something like this,when you do,YOU LET ME KNOW HOW EASY IT WAS FOR YOU,,
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Golden you are very right ,couldnt said it better myslef,and luba you are right also,i will defnitley get a kitten or cat..........
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I have fostered dogs and then given them up to new homes. One of them I had for 3 months and loved dearly. I shed many tears when she left.

But I KNEW I was doing what was right for those dogs, and was sending them to homes where they would get what I couldn't give them. Not easy, but necessary sometimes.
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
Smmiec,if you are sick of me,GO AWAY,if i annoy you GO AWAY,when i first gave him up,this problem never showed,i had no idea at all he would get this bad,i am so happy you have never had to go through something like this,when you do,YOU LET ME KNOW HOW EASY IT WAS FOR YOU,,
Gimme a break lady! I've been very nice to you in many instances, just as everyone else here has. WE CARE ABOUT YOUR DOG. I have been offering you advice on numerous posts. I have been nice about it and I have been rude about it, it seems neither methods get through to you!!! But you have to face the facts! YOU POSTED THAT YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO GIVE DAMIEN THE TRAINING THAT HE NEEDS. Do you want us to tell you what you want to hear? There's nothing wrong with Damien, that's just how puppies behave, don't worry it'll get better! - then you're in the wrong board. This is a pet board, people here are concerned about pets! That's why I continue to write, that's why were are still trying... you're going in the wrong direction, and when Damien bites and the authorities come take him away and you can't do anything about it, see how upset you are then.... Sorry, but the truth hurts.

If I am out of line, please someone tell me... and not you heidi, we know what you'll say.
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

If you are going to get a kitten you need to get two of them so while you are at work they will have someone to play with and sleep with. If you do not want two cats than you should get an older cat because they do a little better on their own. I mean they still like to have someone to play with but they can occupy themself a lot better than a kitten. I think that a kitten or a cat would be a wonderful pet for you to get. Will the lady at the GSD Rescue place take him back? I think he is a wonderful dog but not for you. I do not think that it is all your fault or his. I just think that he needs to have more help than what you can give him. I know that this is hard I understand. And I am not going to yell at you. I want you to know that you can do this and you will get over him soon. I think you should have a cat ready that you can pick up when you drop him off so that you are not alone when you get home. A cat is a animal that you can let sleep with you and they can run around the house. And there are so many in shelters that NEED good homes. You would be saving their life. You would help them as much as they would help you. I think your dog is better off somewhere else not because you do not love him, but he needs something more than you can give. When you do drop him off leave him there do not go back on the weeks. He will play with the dogs be in Heaven and (not to be mean) but forget all about you and I know that makes it easier on you, and you know that he will be taken care of so let him go it is time. Go to www.petfinder.com and find you a pretty little baby that you can take care of and love and let her love you~! Best wishes you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

You know,i know time heals all,i just wish this never happened,maybe i should of left him there the first time,but i didnt,and if i had any inlking that this would of happend i would of,i already left her a message and said if i can bring him tonight or tomorrow,i dont want to stay and talk,i will open the car door let him out and i am leaving..I am not gonna be strong enough to stay there and see him,i wll not visit,if he gets re-homed maybe then i can see him and his new home if they allow me to,but while he is there i will Not VISIT,i think he would get confused and run to my car like last time to get in,that would kill me....I know i have been saying alot here,but until something like this happens to you,you have NO idea how painful it is,just to think i will probably never get to see him again....................
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Damien will be fine Heidi, it's you that needs to figure out what to do with your energy when he's gone. Thats why I suggested a cat or two yes to keep one another company as stated.

Sometimes we lash out at people when we are hurting, realizing it is the key to preventing it from happening again.

I think we should take a breather and just relax!

Heidi you're gonna be fine!
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont apprceciate your comment a pet rock,i dont find it funny ,that is the sh%^ i am talking about that is un necassary,you have no idea how i have tried,no i dont want people to say it will all be ok,but i dont need t o be put down by you,at least i have tried,i thought i did the right thing,so i was wrong.I will now pay for being wrong............
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL!!! Heidi, If you can put up with us getting upset when we repeat our advice, you'll do just fine. Like you said you have had to do many hard things before, you'll be just fine.
Old June 25th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Heidi, I agree the pet rock comment was uncalled for...but sometimes you provoke situations and get people just as mad as you feel yourself.

Things you have said about me needing a good such and such. You're not the only one who dislikes comments, most of us do. It's how you handle them and deal with them that enriches your life.

You can either make a bad situation worse or a bad situation better. Words are powerful! Myself I let things slide off my shoulders and back because at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter!

So, should we all say enough of the sarcasm and poor choice of language although not completely spelled out the intention is the same?
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
I dont apprceciate your comment a pet rock,i dont find it funny ,that is the sh%^ i am talking about that is un necassary,you have no idea how i have tried,no i dont want people to say it will all be ok,but i dont need t o be put down by you,at least i have tried,i thought i did the right thing,so i was wrong.I will now pay for being wrong............
You're right that comment was out of line. I just get frustrated easily as you do (with your swearing). But please, we know you have tried, but I can't stress enough how important the training is.
1) It will train him that you're the boss
2) He will be mentally sitmulated, and physical work too
3) It will curb some of his "bad" habits
4) It will teach you what you have to do to be in control
5) It will teach you how to say no to him

should I keep going? I get upset because you outright said that you can't afford the training - that's the first step to a healthy pet - both physically and mentally. Please, would your friend's dad that was going to help you with the dog walker help you with training?