Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 13th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Persian cat: beautiful and arrogant?

Hi there,

Me and my husband we're thinking of getting a kitten. The problem is that my husband insists on a persian kitten (because it's beautiful!) but I prefere a siamese or a domestic cat because they're very affectionate and intelligent. All I want is a lovely cat that would purr on my knees when I watch TV in cold winter times! :love:
I've heard that persian cats are a little bit arrogant and their litter manners are poor, they shed all year long and they have lots of health problems. Does anymone here has a persian cat and what do you think about them?

For the time being I have a test for allergies to cats (hair and skin) done, so there will be no suprise when I get my kitten! Hopefully the results will come next week.

Last edited by Vas; May 13th, 2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never in my life heard of an arragant Persian cat. Any Persian I've ever known has been very cuddly, likes human interaction and is very friendly in much the same way Siamese are. I am more knowledgable about Siamese kitties and LOVE that breed and I like Persians but they require so much more work in terms of grooming tho I do groom my Siamese every day. (Not to mention my foster Sphynx but that is another story, lol). The only other concern I have about Persians is I would caution anyone to be careful in adopting one with the severe facial "problems" which actually hinder the cat's eating abilities. I cannot imagine why anyone chose to breed those type of Persians in that manner but they are actually quite popular.

Last edited by CyberKitten; May 13th, 2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

The Persians I"ve known and fostered have all been VERY sweet,gentle and lovable.

They are not overly agile or active, so probably won't get on your counters.

They are beautiful cats, but HIGH maintenence! Personally, I would never own one.

They must be brushed constantly. They cannot groom themselves properly so you must do it or else end up with a matted mess. Letting a Persian get matted all year and shaving it in the summer is not acceptable, since these mats are painful.

Many of them need their eyes, nose and the folds around their mouths cleaned out daily, often several times a day. Some of them have such extreme facial malformation (like my last foster!) that they have difficulty breathing and even eating.

Some of them do seem to have litterbox problems, and you will need to regularly clip or shave the fur around their bums.

Your husband needs to know that while very ornamental, Persians are ONLY for owners committed to doing all of the above without fail! If he doesn't want to do all this EVERY DAY, don't get a Persian.

Siamese are easy care, just a brushing now and then will do. They can be very loud, but are endearing, intelligent and of course, beautiful pets!
Old May 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Kitty Consort

I have two Persians, 5yrs old, and as I've had them since kittenhood - I'm very familiar with their care requirements.
They're wonderful cats.. but as mentioned, most definitely not for everyone.
I completely agree with whats been offered as the overview of a Persian cat.
Some of them have a "arrogant" LOOK about them. but they are the opposite -sweet and loving.They're very laid back, calm - and also are exceptionally quiet and undemanding cats .As Lucky mentions .. not overly active. My two never go on counters or leap up to high spots. These are all greats traits - to me.
So as for personality, while all kittens are frisky.. it depends on what you like it an adult cat - docile or high energy. Siamese cats, by contrast.. are noted for being very active.. and some can be VERY vocal.
These of course are just generalizations as to what these breeds are "noted"
for in personality. It can vary.

But by far the biggest consideration is their grooming requirements - unlike any other cats. On a maintenance scale of 10 - persians are a definite 10.

I dont know if their reputation for poor litterbox habits is factual. It may be more based on the fact that if the rear fur area is not kept short.. (a sanitary clip) feces may stick to the long fur when using the box. And, if your cat gets diarrhea .. you have a cleanup nightrmare. A good diet and an occassional clip at the back mostly eliminates these occurences, but they can and do still happen.

Very active and busy people may find the upkeep just too much of a committment.
Persians are wildy popular today, the number one purebred cat by far. They are beautiful and glamorous to many catlovers.
But they're also the most comon purebred cat found in shelters - and often are a truly pathetic sight on arrival. Horribly matted fur, stained faces from runny eyes.. looking and feeling a miserable wreck.

If you're husband is fully aware of the lifetime of maintenance needed and is committed to that- then I would heartily reccomend a persian as a wonderful choice.
If he has reservations, but wants a purebred cat specifcally - Ragdoll, Birman, and Maine Coon all are large long- haired cats that are all lovely - and only require a weekly brushing. Light maintenance all.

But - as you mentioned a domestic kitty -. what about a compromise of a persian-mix? The shelters have many long-haired domestic and persian mixes who look just as lovely .. but without the flat faces and double coats that make for all the work.

Good luck with your testing, hope it works out for you both!
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:07 PM

If we get a persian kitten I'm sure it will be ME who will brush the kitten daily and clean his eyes.
The main thing I'm concerned about persians is that they shed a lot all year long and demand high coat maintenance. And I'm also worried about their toilet manners, because I've seen with my own eyes several persian cats that didn't cover their poop. Otherwise they're very lovable and beautiful cats.
But just to start, I'm thinking of fostering a cat before adopting one. I want to see and learn what is it like to have and live with a feline companion first!
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

ALL cats shed all the time! Shedding is worse in spring, and less in winter, but it's all year round. IF you can't stand hair everywhere, don't get a cat.

Actually, Persian shedding is easier to cope with, as it forms sort of big balls that can be cleaned up more easily.

I have 3 short haired cats, and the shedding and the hairballs are just awful. The hair is everywhere - even inside my computer keyboard!

There is also no guarantee that any cat will cover it's poop. Most do, some do not - doesn't matter what kind of cat.

Quote:
Persians are wildy popular today, the number one purebred cat by far. They are beautiful and glamorous to many catlovers.But they're also the most comon purebred cat found in shelters - and often are a truly pathetic sight on arrival. Horribly matted fur, stained faces from runny eyes.. looking and feeling a miserable wreck.
100% true. We get more Persians than other purebreds, and nearly without exception they are in terrible condition when we get them. People see pics of showcats and think how lovely and ornamental they are, but have no intention of keeping up the considerable maintenence they require and dump them when they are a mess. One Persian who was dumped at the vet to be killed was so matted it couldn't walk any more, and there were terrible sores under the mats.

Do not get any pet because you like the way they look. Get one to suit your lifestyle, and if you don't want to put the time and energy into the upkeep of these cats, please don't get one.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Vas, I just realized you are in Montreal. We have a gorgeous, sweet BIG boy listed for adoption.
Mitso

We also have the most beautiful, snow white and pink female you've ever seen, who long hair is not difficult to care for. She must be the ONLY pet. Her pics do not do her justice. She is stunning, and very sweet too.
Thursday
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM

I've just got my allergy test results...It shows that I'm allergic to cat's skin. :sad: I'm sad I cannot adopt a cat anymore...
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:49 PM
banned user

If you really want a cat, isn't there some sort of chot that you can get to counter act the allergies? My aunt worked at a vet office, despite being allergic, she got shots every two weeks in order to continue working there.