Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 18th, 2015, 08:08 AM
banned user

Hey guys! Great to be here

I am a cat and dog owner. Having trouble with the dog though. Anyone on advice as to how i can make it less violent? Have had one trainer, but it does not seem to be working.
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

More details would help, like what do you mean by "violent"? What happens, when does it happen, and how do you deal with it? What has the trainer tried? How long has this been going on, and how old is your dog? The more info the better.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:57 AM
banned user

Zeus is overly aggressive. I'll appreciate help.

Zeus my three year old Cotton de Tuleaur dog is mainly becomes aggressive around people. He recently almost bit my neighbour’s son when he tried grooming him. For the past two weeks, a trainer has been trying to teach him to take orders in vain. It is overly pushes for attention especially when there are people visiting, and when around my neighbour’s dog.
Old March 19th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabellam View Post
Zeus my three year old Cotton de Tuleaur dog is mainly becomes aggressive around people.
Can you describe the aggressive behaviour? Does he growl, bark, bite? All people, or just people he doesn't know, or who in particular? Where does this occur (your property, in public, etc.)?

Quote:
For the past two weeks, a trainer has been trying to teach him to take orders in vain.
Where did you find this trainer? What do you mean by "take orders?" What is the trainer trying to teach him, and how is he doing it?

How is your dog's general obedience (ie sit, stay, come)?

Quote:
It is overly pushes for attention especially when there are people visiting, and when around my neighbour’s dog.
Is your dog neutered?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 20th, 2015, 07:48 AM
banned user

Hey.

He mostly barks and growls and recently almost bit my neighbour's child when he tried grooming him. The trainer was recommended to me by a friend. I actually am a new dog owner, and hadn't considered neutering. I should also probably get it checked. Thanks.
Old March 20th, 2015, 08:52 AM

This is just an observation, I'm not criticizing or trying to be mean in any way. I have noticed sometimes behavior that would not be tolerated in large dogs can be considered "cute" and from there the problem grows. Perhaps ask your trainer about (or find one who has a lot of experience with) what is commonly known as 'small dog syndrome'. Obviously you do not consider your dogs' behavior cute and you do want to correct it. So I'm just throwing out an idea that possibly might help.
Old March 20th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup, get that doggie neutered, ASAP! I would also suggest looking into some obedience classes and/or advice from someone certified by the APDT (Association of Professional Dog Trainers). Anyone can call themselves a dog trainer and can end up doing more harm to your dog than good if they don't have the proper skills. You want someone who uses positive reinforcement methods, NOT dominance or punishment based ones. Here are some tips for finding a trainer:

How to Choose a Dog Trainer
Dogs: Positive Reinforcement Training

In the meantime, take a look through this website for lots of advice on various behaviour problems and training tips:
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...aining-2-years

And lastly, always supervise any dog/kid interactions and discourage kids from handling your dog until you can better manage his behaviour. Please read this fantastic info on dog bite prevention, especially regarding children: http://www.doggonesafe.com/why_dogs_bite

Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:40 AM
banned user

Thank you all for the advice.