Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Senior Contributor

It feels as if Winter is coming fast now here. Started off lovely today, which was just as well, a friend and I went to a local market to buy clothes, roses etc., not so good this afternoon. So, a new bright red Salvia. A bud on the new Pink Parfait rose, and Angel Face.
Attached Images

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I ordered some roses on line a while back and this next rose might have been in that order. Anyway, my friend bought this one and I have to check my order.
Jessika.
Cappucino I did get. Also Papa Meilland, but its blooms were past their best. This will be my third Papa Meilland, , it has the BEST fragrance.

And this third one is Shocking Blue. My friend now has this one as a Standard and a bush.
Attached Images

Old April 28th, 2012, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's another new Salvia, I'm having to salvage this one from a bit of neglect. It should be nice.
Next is Plectranthus Mona Lavender. I bought a new white Plactranthus today, with a much smaller flower.
Perennial Verbena.
Attached Images

Old April 28th, 2012, 12:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I didn't know you could get the same rose in both standard and bush, GF! I thought is was just one or the other. Very cool....the garden design possibilities are endless!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

That's right, Hazel, endless. Standards are just bush roses grafted onto a rootstock stem. You can sometimes have the same roses also as climbers, depending on their growth habit. A native plant that is becoming popular here as a weeping standard is the grevillea.

http://www.weepers.com.au/

http://www.australisplants.com.au/or...grevilleas.htm
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:26 PM

Goldfields,how do you remember the names of all your flowers, I'm lucky if I remember my own name.
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I really don't know, Lindapalm, because I actually have a lousy memory due to my hypothyroidism, or maybe all the arthritis drugs that make my brain fuzzy. LOL. It's a mystery. I love gardening though, and I constantly do things to keep my brain active, it'd be nice if it worked.
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I didn't know that about roses. I knew they grafted them, but I guess I never understood exactly why they did... Those grevilleas are beautiful!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Even bush roses are grafted onto a stronger rootstock, Hazel. Only cuttings become 'own rooted', and sadly roses don't do well on their own roots here. The beauty of having own rooted roses, if you can get them to grow, is that if they sucker it is that same rose. With grafted roses it's the rootstock that suckers and it can overpower the rose grafted onto it. The grevilleas are beautiful, yes, and I saw some I'd like when I found those sites for you. They are better bird attracting plants than roses, being native. I have a few, but none of the sensational ones.
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Here are a couple of new Chrysanthemums, and one that is on its second year here. It's the season, and so many superb plants for sale.
Attached Images

Old May 11th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Another 'mum. Cutting from last year.
Friesia.
White Maman Cochet.
Attached Images

Old May 11th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice pink Chrysanthemum.
Pink Parfait.
Radox Bouquet - feeling the colder weather slightly.
Attached Images

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I never realized how nice roses and mums looked together! Love these last three sets of pics!

Old May 12th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Irises and roses too.
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Beautiful pictures, all the birds, all the flowers, stunning! Thanks so much for sharing!!
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Irises and roses too.
I guess roses just look good with anything! (Unless you post a pic, though, I wouldn't know, considering my moldy thumb when it comes to roses. )

Old May 14th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm just trying to get irises established between the roses now, Hazel, but don't hold your breath waiting for photo's of that. I put the irises in a bed that gets afternoon shade but next plantings will be in full sun with roses.
Jonquil Soliel de Or.(in Autumn?)
The green chrysanthemum at its best.
Nice Bromeliad.

Last edited by Goldfields; May 14th, 2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Forgot the photo's. LOL.
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviously you can't edit and add photo's. Okay, try again.
Attached Images

Old May 14th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor

First rose here is St Patrick. Starts off really greenish as a bud, then goes a lovely yellow.
Mme Louis Laperriere.
A geranium that appeals to me seeing it is rather rose-like in the way it opens.
Attached Images

Old May 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor little chrysanthemum, someone had to give it a home. The last one at a nursery I visited. I asked the guy did he have any left, he wanted $10 for this one regardless that it was so plain, but while I hesitated, he said $8, then dropped it to $6.

Pink Parfait , possibly the last bloom before next Spring. I like the variation in colours.

Pope John Paul II.
Attached Images

Old May 24th, 2012, 06:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Obviously you can't edit and add photo's. Okay, try again.
You should be able to -- just have to 'Go Advanced' and then it'll let you add pics, I think.

I love that Geranium! Not sure how I missed it back when you posted it! And your new little mum! Sure couldn't beat the price! Maybe if you'd paused longer it would have gone down another couple of dollars!

You sure have a lot of lovely plants in your gardens, GF!

Old May 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know about having a lot, Hazel. The antenna lead came off in high wind today, so no TV for us tonight, instead I started looking through my big Encyclopaedia of Plants and Flowers put out by the Royal Horticultural Society in England. I wish it was a seed/plant/bulb catalogue instead. LOL. (Ian is no doubt glad it's not.) So many things I'd like to try and grow. Bit tired tonight so won't be grooming the next dog.