Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor

dog bites womans nose

no I don't only post disgusting threads about dogs attacking, but thought this one worthy, everyone says only pitbull attacks get written up....this was not a pitbull.

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../18026681.html

Friday started out pretty well for Anne Riel.

She was given a customer service award at the Home Depot where she’s worked as a greeter and sales associate for nearly a year.

Then, half an hour before her shift was to end, she greeted an elderly woman who was pushing a cart carrying a small dog.

“I petted her dog and as I slightly bent my head towards the dog, the Shih Tzu leaped out and bit me in the face,” said Riel, 39.

“He literally jumped up and bit my nose off. It was bleeding everywhere,” she said.

Co-workers rushed to her aid.

But the dog’s owner, Riel said, tried to bolt.

“She never stopped to see if I was OK,” she said.

“If the ambulance lady hadn’t told her to wait for police, she was leaving as if nothing happened.”

Ottawa Paramedics arrived within five minutes and treated Riel.

“She had a skin tear and penetration of the left nostril,” said superintendent of operations Garth Tourangeau.

Riel was taken to the Ottawa Hospital where plastic surgeons were called in.

“They sewed it together with seven stitches,” Riel said.

“There’s a big chunk missing off the front of my nose.”

Riel said she’ll need at least three more surgeries — and after the first one, she’s not happy.

“The five or six freezing needles, it was like hell,” she said. “The pain — childbirth was nothing compared to that pain.”

Riel said she’s furious with the dog’s owner.

“She gets to sit at home and get away with it while I’m in so much pain,” she said.

Riel meets with bylaw officers on Tuesday and she wants the Shih Tzu put down.

She’s just glad her four-year-old daughter, Gabrielle, wasn’t the one petting the dog.

“If that was my little girl, she’d have no face left,” she said.

The matter is “under investigation by bylaw,” said city spokesman Barre Campbell.

Riel returns to work Monday and she’s anxious to see her customers.

“I just like it there,” she said.

“At least (the dog) didn’t ruin my smile.”
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Yessss!

Not that im happy about the attack,but thank god they finally published the dogs breed when it wasnt a pitty or look alike. Im so happy about this article getting published(not happy with incident) This happened here in Ottawa too,the article even has an after pic with the 7 stitches. Lets hope this helps change peoples views a little.
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
Not that im happy about the attack,but thank god they finally published the dogs breed when it wasnt a pitty or look alike. Im so happy about this article getting published(not happy with incident) This happened here in Ottawa too,the article even has an after pic with the 7 stitches. Lets hope this helps change peoples views a little.
I agree, if all dog bites were in the media spotlight, then pitties may not look so bad

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

often our two papers carry articles on dog bites that would be of interest that don't involve pits, thought I'd share one of them.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

You know,even "my" little Bailey has lunged at strange people on our walks,she will bark and growl,it's very embarassing and were she a pittie,she would more than likely be reported.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
You know,even "my" little Bailey has lunged at strange people on our walks,she will bark and growl,it's very embarassing and were she a pittie,she would more than likely be reported.
Hahaha dont get me started. My Lola is boxer mix and looks pitty I get harassed allll the time. And she senses this and isnt sure what to do because im telling her not to act on her instinct that something is wrong(when im being yelled at by 2 or 3 people just fot walking her....I now have to teach my dog not to do the same things,she doesnt really bark or growl,sometimes if the person is terrified and has a dog,the dog acts sketchy and she senses this and warns them she knows.) Put listens right away if i tell her to stop,stop and enough are her how should i put it i guess submition words. She well stop and sit,then wait for her next order. I had to change apartments to a different floor just because of someone that was harassing me and making false complaints. I had to be investigated by SPCA.

Everyday is a challenge when I moved back to my middle class neighbourhood,someone always says or does something.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM
chronically insane.

While I have had an occasional pit bull kind of go after me.... that has been because of owner problems.. I live near Camden NJ and the inner city people like to bulk up their pits and walk them around town and show them off and here and there I've had a few kind of lunge at me but not really to attack but just to scare me.

As for dogs that have officially bitten me... a teacup yorkie attacked my hand before.. but because it was so small it didn't draw blood just left some scratches and marks... and the attack was a vicious attack. My boss was bit badly by a poodle before too. As for other dogs that routinely go after me with intent to bite-

#1 would have to be Chihuahuas with yorkies right behind... Poodles get pretty nasty too. I've had my fair share of fluffy little dogs (malteses and whatnot) who have lunged at either my hands or face with intent to bite.

The only "big dogs" I am somewhat wary of now are german shepherds... mainly because where I live they are becoming sort of a popular dog as a status symbol and people often purchase them from pet stores and puppy mills where obviously they are terribly inbred and then they never bother to train the dogs and keep them chained up outside their houses to show how 'tough' they are... so I've had a few GSD that have tried to attack me within recent times.. same with dobermans, chows, akitas and sharpeis.... pit bulls are pretty dang low on my list of dogs to watch out for.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 20th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

dog bites womans

Wish I had been there to witness this as I understood the greeter put her face down to the dog, either way what is the first thing we teach our kids when approaching a dog: ASK if you can pet it, which the greeter didn't do so she got bitten.