Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 9th, 2017, 07:14 PM

Could my cat have a cold?

We just brought a cat home from our local shelter to foster on Friday. When we were bringing her home I heard her cough and sneeze a couple of times. Now I notice that she makes this head movement almost like a gag at random times, but she doesn't vomit. She is purring, but there is a wet breathing sound and I don't know if it's normal because I've never had a cat before. She's eating fine and is very friendly. I'm trying to decide if I should contact the shelter or wait to see if anything changes?
Old January 9th, 2017, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

You should call the shelter right away , you cat very well could be sick and get worst . My dog was from a shelter and he was very sick when I brought him home he had a cough and it took 3 months to get better.
Old January 9th, 2017, 10:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

JD has a chronic case of active herpes virus--which in cats, shows up as an upper respiratory infection (URI). I think I've read that up to 80% of cats have been exposed to the feline herpes virus and they can have URI symptoms when subjected to stress--like being in a shelter or a change in venue (like an adoption)--but most of them eventually get the virus under control and the symptoms disappear. (It becomes chronic in only a small percentage of cats, like JD.)

You should probably contact the shelter because although the URI is usually very short-lived, pneumonia and other secondary infections can set in while kitty is fighting the virus. JD had a couple courses of antibiotics when he first arrived because he had some crackling going on in his lungs, which might have been the start of pneumonia. Now he's just snotty most of the time, but normal otherwise.

The gagging/coughing thing almost sounds like a hairball working its way out. JD does that, too--and usually just swallows it back down. He's hawked up one, but usually it just passes through. It's best to get it checked out, though, in case it's something related to the cold.

With luck, your cat is just having a flare up of the virus from the stress of being in the shelter and will be over it in a few days, but I'd definitely check with the shelter and see if they recommend having her see a vet.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 9th, 2017, 10:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, and then I forgot to bug you for pictures of your new addition! If you have some photos to share, we'd love to see them!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 10th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I was told my dog had shipping fever, he was shipped from California to Massachusetts . I had to increase the antibiotics dosages 3 times before Marty got better . I was first told he had kennel cough or shipping fever ,then I was told he had pneumonia and finally I told he had bronchitis and each time I was given a new antibiotic to give to my poor dog. So it really would be best to be on the safe side and have your kitty checked. I second seeing photos , pleases
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Definately sounds like an URI and not that uncommon really. Its somewhat contagious I think so hopefully you dont have other kitties in the house.

I would contact the people your fostering for and let them now.

You could also get some Lysine and sprinkle it on the food. This will help build the kittyès immune system as well.

I second the request for pics

Best of Luck with your new addition!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Definately sounds like an URI and not that uncommon really. Its somewhat contagious I think so hopefully you dont have other kitties in the house.

I would contact the people your fostering for and let them now.

You could also get some Lysine and sprinkle it on the food. This will help build the kittyès immune system as well.

I second the request for pics

Best of Luck with your new addition!!

Cindy
You have come in third for the pictures , I am came second already .
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:11 PM

Thank you! She is actually fine and hasn't coughed or sneezed in a few days. Sorry it took me a while to get back-my computer had a virus. So, how do I post pictures?
Old January 14th, 2017, 02:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad to hear she kicked her cold!

Do you have pics on your computer or do you upload them to a photo site? If so, you can add them here as either attachments (if they're from your computer) or as links to your image on a photo-sharing site (like photobucket, flickr, etc).

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor computer is got sick from your cat ! That good your cat is feeling better. I can't help with posting photos b/c I have no idea how to do it .
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I see she is ok now but it's very common for shelter cats and dogs to develop colds when they reach your house. With so many strange animals, vaccination status unknown when they arrive, all crammed in close together, any disease can spread like wildfire.

WE brought home a mother cat and her kitten who both came down with very bad colds. My Vet told me cats can die from a cold if they refuse to mouth breath. OUrs were both breathing with their mouths. Their poor little noses were clogged with snot.

I was to give them both meds, the kitten got 1/8 of a baby aspirin. Try to imagine how hard it is to cut a baby aspirin into eighths. Most of the time I was guessing how much dust equalled the 1/8. A six week old kitten has amazing strength when he thinks you are trying to kill him by ramming something down his little throat, the only orifice he has to breath with. He struggled, he cried, the dog and the mother cat came running to see what heinous thing I was doing and got in the way. He bit me and one of his little teeth went deep into my thumb. We did all survive but it was awful dealing with those colds.
Old January 18th, 2017, 12:35 PM

Okay so here's my attempt to post pics. I know she looks really mad, but her eyes are just shaped that way- kind of flat on top. Her one crumpled ear shows really well in the first pic- her other ear is nice and perky like normal cats. My cat-lover friend says she is a "torby"
Attached Images

Old January 18th, 2017, 01:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, she's beautiful! Love her markings!

Old January 18th, 2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh, she's beautiful! Love her markings!
thanks! I do too. I think she is very unique looking Her name is Lily, by the way
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor

She is beautiful , you did a good job posting your photos , I still don't know how to do it.