Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old March 4th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy Stray kitty

I have already talked to 14+about this kitty that comes around here...I thought he had a home,but seeing him today,the shape he is in,I doubt it:sad:
He/she is a longhaired,grey/white cat,cleaned up he would be really beautiful.
He is matted,has something wrong with his eye:sad:

I've seen him for a couple of months off and on,but today I got a good look at him,before he bolted over the fence and in to my front-yard.
I went in and got a bowl of food,calling him,but again he bolted right across our busy street,I cried,thought for sure he got run over,but he made it.

I left the food on the side of the house,he will eventually come back.
I will talk to HS,see if anyone is missing this once beautiful cat,hopefully they will lend me a trap(they did years ago)but I am worried they will euthanize him/her.
He survived this very cold winter,maybe he has an owner who just does not care???
I don't know,I just know I cannot get this kitty out of my head:sad:
No,I cannot take him in my house,Rocky would kill me
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Even if he is owned, they are being very neglectful and don't deserve this kitty. Can you take him to a no kill shelter? It has been my experience that long haired kitties tend to get adopted quite quickly.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
~Cat Servent~

If the HS won't lend you one, I have one here you could borrow Chico.... hubby works up there kinda (not by you, but I have to drop him off right by the airport) so we could meet somewhere to drop it off and pick it up.

And I know exactly why you can't get him out of your head, the same reason the one I saw roaming the grass at the side of the 420 is still in my head a week after pulling over and trying to get it. (It was pretty skittery, and right in the right area to be one of my ferals from the old crappy apartment area...looked just like little momma, but a little bigger, prob. one of her kittens. Hubby of course was sweet and patient and drove along the shoulder with the four-ways on so I could walk along and try to get closer to the poor thing.):sad: It happens every time I see a cat (or dog) that looks like it's in danger or not being cared for.... they haunt me for weeks, and even after time has passed I never forget..... I still say a prayer everytime I pass a certain spot on the highway where I saw an orange cat that had been hit and killed, and that was 10 years ago. I just want them to know that even if the rest of the world never noticed them, and never cared that they were gone, never felt their loss... I did.

keep your spirits up and just keep talking to him sweetly, if he's been out for some time it'll take a while before he stops bolting, but it helps if he sees you leave the food. I'm sure between all of us here we can come up with something if the HS won't help.... have you tried getting a pic of him yet? Maybe someone is missing him, you never know. & that he stays safe and healthy! And big for your big heart!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
-

Chico, so kind of you to worry about this poor soul.

As far as I know Hamilton is no-kill, but have also heard that they can be not so humane, that they pick and choose who they take in and may send you to the other part of the building, which is Animal Control and then who knows

The THS is definately 'no-kill' and I'm pretty sure they would take the kitty and treat him/her. I know it is a bit of a drive for you though. Thanks for caring
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yep, I second kr's thoughts. However, if you can't get him into a HS or no kill and can't find his owners (although it sounds like if he has them they don't deserve him) then you know where he can come.
Do you have a carrier for him once you get him chico? If not kr maybe can stop by on her way to meet you and I can give her one of mine. If he ends up coming out here anyway it isn't a biggie. I wouldn't have to worry about returning it.
Let me know........

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
~Cat Servent~

See... Kitty Rescue Brigade at the ready!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM
-

Yous guys are great
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like the little guy's fortunes are about to change! I hope this all works out for him. chico, kr and 14+, you're s for caring about this kitty.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I will talk to HS,see if anyone is missing this once beautiful cat,hopefully they will lend me a trap(they did years ago)but I am worried they will euthanize him/her.
Oakville and District Humane Society is a great great shelter. I know some of the Officers there and know how they run. They do not euth for cage space. They only euth animals that are extremely sick (to the point that they will not recover) animals that are injured, and agressive animals. Every animal that goes through their doors, they go beyond for everyone. Domestic or Wildlife. They even give feral cats a chance. And from what I hear, alot of the ferals have come around. They also deal with Toronto Wildlife center ALOT, Owl Foundation as well as other rescues.

I can reasurre you that getting an officer to pick the cat up, you don't have to worry. That cat will have it great temp home, until it gets adopted. I know that they had cats on their adoption room for 2 years, until they got adopted. Pretty impressive. I know that they are never under roughly 200 cats at a time there. I remember talking to an Officer there one day, a few months ago and they had over 450 cats. That just says how much they care.

I do know that they lend out traps for cats and wildlife. Give them a call.

Happy to hear that you have a good shelter in your city. I've seen some bad ones...city and non-profit.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; March 4th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

ACO,I too am very familiar with the Oakville HS and they are great,I've dealt with them quiet a lot.ACO,everyone I've dealt with there in the past are wonderful caring people,you are right!

Dahmer,14+,you are just great,thank you
I talked at lenght to Oakville HS and they are bringing me a cat-trap,she checked their"lost"file,but there are so many she will continue checking.
They are a no-kill shelter,except for in extreem circumstances like if a cat is severely wounded,or has an untreatable disease and is suffering.

I told her I have another option,through friends,but she said,we are in the business of rescuing animals and he/she will be ok,if I manage to catch him
She was very concerned with his eye-injury,but I could really not say much,I was facing him for only a couple of seconds,his one eye was half-way closed:sad:
What is the best food to put in a trap,Tuna???
I probably will not be getting the trap before tomorrow...
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That is so great the they are going to help! I wonder in a few months once the kittens are being dumped if the answer will always be the same.
Tuna, sardines, anything smelly. Just be aware that if the kitty has at some time been trapped before he may not fall for it. If neither of them work then you can try catnip. The stronger the better.
If there is a chance, once he is caught, that they will euthanize because of his eye injury then he comes out here, right? I am not going to see a cat put down because he has a bad eye.
Got lots of coming your way!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Dahmer,I know how you must have felt about this cat..a couple of years ago somewhere in Virginia US,we stopped for a sleep at a hotel.
There I saw a little black kitten,meowing looking for food,I got him some and tried to catch him,to no avail,he was too wild..
I was totally distraught,could not sleep nor eat,knowing this little baby was out there.I tried again in the morning,gave him my breakfast,but he would not let me take him.....I was totally miserable the whole trip down to SC.
Kept hearing his little desperate meows in m head.
I did tell the hotel-people to call ASPCA to have him caught,don't know if they did or not.
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's 14+.I'll make sure to let them know,but he seems otherwise ok,he can certainly move fast.
First though he has to let himself be caught,several years ago i fed a stray(george)twice/day and when he was hurt,got a trap from HS,but he was too darn smart to get caught.
Hopefully this little guy is not as smart
Old March 4th, 2009, 08:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for your trapping efforts!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,the HS were concerned about his eye-injury,not because they might euthanize him,but because if he is injured he will be a priority for a trap.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
14+,the HS were concerned about his eye-injury,not because they might euthanize him,but because if he is injured he will be a priority for a trap.
That's good! I know where I am from the idiots that ran the "shelter" (don't know if they are still there or not) wouldn't even bother coming out. They would make you go to them if they had a trap available. Probably would charge you to have it too. If you told them the cat was injured they may decide to come out with a gun. :sad: Useless! It's refreshing to see an HS with compassion.

Good luck!!!!

Old March 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

14+,the trap is here,I put a dish with tuna and lots of juice in it,so hope he comes around
The girl was very nice,stayed here quiet a while and we talked a lot,I've met her before.
They do not kill any animal,not even feral cats,everyone gets a chance at rehab.
I knew that from before,but it was good to be reassured.
I had to put a $100 deposit,but that's just in case I lose the cage or something like that,I get the money back when they pick up the trap again.
I have it for a week for now,can keep it longer if I need to
I was told to take it inside at night,since the risk of catching a Skunk,Raccoon or anything else is greater at night.
This kitty has been around in the daytime a lot.
So,he'll let himself be caught
Thank you very much for yours and Dahmers offer to help
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
-

Good Luck in your quest Chico, again, thanks for caring.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Chris,of course I care,I just regret not trying it sooner,he's survived this long cold winter,I don't know how..
But like I told 14+,I thought he had a home,until I saw him close up,matted and dirty
It's hard to tell with cats,so many are letting their cats roam,but this one I am certain is a stray,poor kitty:sad:.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:08 PM
-

That's the trouble Chico, one can never know if a kittie is out and about or a stray. This one, in the condition he/she is in sounds like a stray for sure, if he/she does have an owner, they obviously do not care and YOU do
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

GOOD LUCK, CHICO

Mr/s. Gray Stray, please, please go into the trap, you won't regret it .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

aww chico ure such a sweetie

best of luck! I hope kitty goes right into the trap

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's everyone no luck today,but I've got time...
"Come on pretty kitty,we'll help you,give you a warm place to sleep,make you all clean and beautiful again and hopefully get you a home of your own,please,please"
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

did he come around and just not go in the trap or u didnt see him at all?

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

No,I did not see him today,he's not here every day.
I am just about to bring the trap inside,but I'll leave the Tuna out there,if he comes and eats it,maybe he'll be back for more tomorrowbut in the trap
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Rats! I was hoping you'd catch him today

for tomorrow, chico! Hopefully the tuna will draw him in!

Old March 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
150% PRO S/N

It could take quite some time to catch him. Especially if he knows what the trap is. If just sitting it out doesn't work you can try disguising it by covering it with a blanket or tree branches, etc. It is supposed to rain this weekend. Hopefully he has a warm, dry place to hide out. :sad: I have lots of going on here too!

Old March 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Awwwww Chico your an this kitty is lucky to have you, and I hope you can catch him/her soon!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

for today being the day.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 6th, 2009, 08:26 AM
150% PRO S/N

Add my too!!