Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 28th, 2008, 10:39 AM

do i have to feed dry food?

hi all.

cline kitty had three teeth out a few weeks ago (three molars). i was told to feed her only soft food for about a week, then i could return to normal feedings (morning-canned, lunch-dry, supper-canned). anyway, after almost week of eating the dry food again, she began to act strangely. she would only eat a few bites of her food, then walk away - and that was with the wet stuff. she'd eventually return to finish her meal, but she has never done that before. she usually eats her whole meal in one sitting. the dry food she began to eat less and less of, too. i surmised that her mouth was probably still too sore to handle the dry (i looked in her mouth, and the sites looked irritated). i had already had her back to the vet prior to returning to the dry food for a post-op check 10 days after the surgery, and everything looked like it was coming along fine. there is no infection - she received a 14-day antibiotic shot the day of the surgery to avoid that.

anyway, cutting out the dry food has done the trick, so it must have been that i put her back on the dry food too soon. my question is: is it necessary to feed her dry food at all? keep in mind i have two other cats, and they all eat the same food at the same time. if i take cline kitty off the dry, the other two will also be taken off it, as that's just the easiest way to go. is this okay? am i able to feed all three of them a diet of canned only? any drawbacks or cautions with regards to this? i've heard conflicting reports about dry food - some say it's good because it helps to keep their teeth clean, others say this isn't true. since my other two cats don't currently have any problems with their teeth, i want to be sure this won't affect their dental health. HELP!!!

thanks
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Absolutely take them all off dry, that would be the best. There is no good reason to feed cats kibble. It doesn't have an appropriate amount of moisture, it doesn't have appropriate ingredients, and it does nothing for their teeth (in fact, it may actually cause dental problems). Dry food is actually responsible for more feline illnesses (diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney disease, bladder and urinary tract problems, obesity, allergies, etc) than pretty much any other factor, and since your cats already eat wet food, you're ahead of the game. Lots of info here if you want to know more: http://www.catinfo.org/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM

thank you thank you thank you

thanks, sugarcatmom.

you are always at the ready with sound advice. i will put all three of them on wet from now on. cline kitty seems much happier already, and it's only been a few days since i took her off the dry. she's eating her whole meal (that girl looooooves food!) in one sitting again. the other two seem quite content on nothing but wet as well. now that i know that i am not causing any problems with their dental health, i can feed them canned guilt-free!!

tracy
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:14 PM

I would follow the advice here also and take your cats off of dry food. Many years ago dry food was considered the best, but now, it is found to contribute to feline diabetes, UTIs and other health conditions. A good quality wet food is the way to go. Good luck!
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM

you too

thanks to you as well, luvmymainecoon! i love the support available on this board!!!

tracy