Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Doubts

Today is one of those days where I doubt whether we made the right choice to commit to raising a pup. Just one of those days. I know we're not unique, and I know we're not actually doubting our decision, and that this is 'normal' (even though 'normal' is a cycle on the washing machine). We've had her for 2 months now (she's 16 weeks and we've had her since she was 8 weeks), so with only a few of those 'what did we do' days we're doing pretty good. Of course the moment of doubt is immediately erased when pup pads up to me, leans her full 40 lbs into my thigh, drops herself down against me and falls asleep with a paw on my leg.

So what were your moments of doubt, and what triggered you into those moments? What was your 'button' that the dog would invariably find? What got you through it?
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Aw, sorry Marcha, can't help you here. Ginger was 7ish and Hobo 5ish when we adopted them. I don't think I could handle a pup...first of all I don't like it when I have to pee at 4 a.m. so I can't imagine getting up to let something else out

I do many people have survived puppyhood and lived to tell the tales, even laugh at them

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!

Last edited by diandpat; September 16th, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Cole just wouldn't be housebroken. At about month 6 of indoor accidents I asked the vet to run yet another urinalysis, thinking maybe we'd missed a physical problem. He asked me what was going on and then said, "Some dogs just don't get it till 8 months of age." So I grabbed my patience with both hands and continued my exercise in futility.

And lo and behold! 8 months almost to the day and suddenly he was spotless in the house! Since we weren't doing anything differently (except not taking in urine for testing every 3 weeks ), I'm assuming it was just a matter of maturity

So just hang in there. There are always going to be setbacks...the setbacks just start spacing themselves out further and further and suddenly you find yourself with an adult dog, wondering where Puppy went and thinking about how much you miss those puppy antics. No...seriously! You'll miss the -tactics once she's over them! Honest!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Chase was actually a very good puppy but we had a few moments. He tore apart a book that I was really looking forward to reading. And ate a leash I spent $35 on. He screamed all night, every night, for two straight weeks while we were crate training him. He flopped around like a fish on a hook every time I tried to brush him. And he was perfectly house trained in our apartment at 3 months old, but thought the lobby was fair game for at least another two.

My solution? Calmly place puppy in crate. Walk away....and don't buy $35 leashes.

It definately happens to everyone! Deep breaths and remember that it will get better, you will have a loyal, well-mannered dog one day, and in a couple years you will really, REALLY miss the time when your dog was a puppy!!!!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I forgot to add that at the time, we had two pups--Ember is about 8 weeks older than Cole. If we could survive that, one puppy must certainly be survivable, no?

course we've got a bit of a psychological problem now, don't we madame hazel? Maybe a bit, hazel, but it doesn't make us bad people, does it? Speak for yourself, y'ol' bat!! TDFO, get in your corner and leave madame hazel alone!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Marcha, I remember those days like yesterday, thank dog I worked and DH was home with Sasha during the day. She literally bounced off of the walls, when I got home from work it was my turn to look after her and I always wondered where the heck hubby got the energy from to look after her all day. I am sure if I was home all day with her I may have thrown her out with the dishwater. Now I do not know what I would do without her. She is now almost 5 yr pbp
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I forgot to add that at the time, we had two pups--Ember is about 8 weeks older than Cole. If we could survive that, one puppy must certainly be survivable, no?

course we've got a bit of a psychological problem now, don't we madame hazel? Maybe a bit, hazel, but it doesn't make us bad people, does it? Speak for yourself, y'ol' bat!! TDFO, get in your corner and leave madame hazel alone!
Hazel you are soooo funny
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Thanks everyone, it is very nice to get your moral support on this. I guess if barking is my trigger, I have an increased risk of going 'barking mad'. Anyway - as with kids, this too shall pass, and one day you wake up and realize that whatever it is that gets your goat hadn't been done for quite a while already. In general Bodhi is a brilliant, extraordinary pup, who is smart as a whip and very eager to learn. We all have off-days, and so does pup, and heck, how would she know where the boundaries are if she didn't test them at times eh?

And Madame Hazel, you *are* funny.
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
My solution? Calmly place puppy in crate. Walk away....and don't buy $35 leashes.
Great advice . Lucy was the puppy from hell . She housetrained in about three days but she also constantly challenged, pushed, and bounced off the walls. I remember going away for a weekend when she was about five months and hubby leaving a message for me that I had to come home early because he just couldn't handle the dog . He did phone back a little later and after they took a bit of a time out from each other things were ok again. She gradually mellowed at about age ten and is now a joy to live with.

just kidding, she mellowed at about a 1.5 years old.

Riley was super duper mellow puppy when he first came and actually was quite an easy puppy compared to Lucy. He did destroy the keyboard/mouse cord on his second day, and killed quite a few leashes but ya gotta expect something right . He also had a horrible mouthy, nippy stage that seemed to take forever to work through. His real hell stage started at about a year and continued for the next year and a half .

It's funny, I'm actually trying to remember specific incidents that drove me nuts and I can't even though I definately remember the feelings of being at the end of my rope . I guess it must be like having kids where you just forget the pain of childbirth so you are willing to have another one .
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Hazel, not to make light of raising two puppies at the same time (which is quite something already - friends of ours have two pups and EEK!!), but I have two puppies too. A furry one and a human puppy. Our youngest son has always had the nickname 'pup', because of many of his personality traits and temperament. He needs his daily runs and walks (yay scooters, skateboards and bikes!), he needs his food on time, and he would rather play with sticks, sand and bunnies than with plastic toys.

Now that the kids (including human pup) are back in school, I had to also let go of the idea that I would have more 'me-time' during school hours. Furry pup disagreed. So we'll just work on timing the next week to see if we can find a balance that works for both of us AND wears pup out.

Old September 17th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
She gradually mellowed at about age ten and is now a joy to live with.

You don't want to know how many times I re-read that first line to make sure I was reading it correctly, and then exhaled when I read the second line.

My experience with pups hasn't extended to pups this young, and I don't have experience (well, I'm gaining it at the moment) of pup and kids simultaneously. I'm thinking I might just keep a stash of chocolate and wine somewhere for future 'rebalancing' needs?
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Mellowed out, LOL Harley is almost 5 in a 6 month old brain except for the house breaking, I am still waiting for the day he mellows out. Every day is a challenge with him, and most days I wonder if I took on something I shouldn't have. But at night when I lie down and his head is on my pillow changes every thought I have on that day.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcha View Post

My experience with pups hasn't extended to pups this young, and I don't have experience (well, I'm gaining it at the moment) of pup and kids simultaneously. I'm thinking I might just keep a stash of chocolate and wine somewhere for future 'rebalancing' needs?
Now that is my way of handling things

After reading these posts I am glad I am into kittens and not pups. they are so easy.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM
owned by Tucker

I think the day I came home and Tucker had eaten a hole in my bed I wondered what the heck did I do, hey Tucker is 5 and I have only just told my husband what he did. Tucker was a chewer, if you turned your back for a moment he had something in his mouth that should not be there, I can't remember all the things he chewed up even with a bunch of chew toys of his own. But this too passed it has been years since he has done such a thing.
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Geek Club CEO

Things that made me go, hmmmm:

-screaming/howling/thrashing fits in the crate starting at 5am like clockwork for months
-6 weeks's worth of daily antibiotic injections administered to a squirmy 12-week-old
- un-confinable pup, despite 6 feet worth of barricade at the laundryroom door, coming home to amounts of pee/poo that no 12 lb dog should be capable of producing in a 4 hours period
- about 5 chewed leashes
-about 6 chewed collars
-about 8 pairs of chewed shoes
- 2 chewed pants, one sweater, 3 ball caps, 4 undies, 7 bras and a purse
- chewed floor, chewed door frame
- 10 largely ignored, lovingly selected and not inexpensive nylon chews
- poo on the floor, pee on the floor, millions of times.
-having to buy 20 rolls of paper towel every shopping trip
-saying "don't chew on the cats" millions of times

would I trade it for anything?

Nawwwwwww.
(puppehz iz just so darned CUTE!!!!!!)
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I think we all have had those moments of doubt. As a cat mom, my moments may not be as bad as those who have puppies, but I've had my moments.

2 kittens less than 6 months old.
2 4 month old kittens taken in with when I already had 2 8 & 9 month olds, then bringing in a month later a 3 year old stray.

Oy, there have been moments for me when I've wondered if I'd gone nuts. But as you said, those moments go away when I get a nudge under my hand for a pet. A nose touch for no reason. A head rub against my cheek and kitties settling in against me at bedtime.

Those moments are worth all the trouble.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

No doubts here. I know I am perfectly sane doing what I am doing. I wouldn't change it for the world.
Every dog/cat has it's challenges. We just find a way to work past them to find the jewel underneath.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Oh, I don't know about about cat moments not being as bad as puppy moments! Chinook, our semi-feral adopted cat who is now 3, peed on MY wool duvet for the first half year of his life but only the week before I ovulated and the week before my period started. Beside my duvet, he would use the litter box just fine. I was ready to throw in the towel with Chinook after that fourth duvet, but he stopped one day to the next, and never did anything like it again since.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Things that made me go, hmmmm:

-screaming/howling/thrashing fits in the crate starting at 5am like clockwork for months
-6 weeks's worth of daily antibiotic injections administered to a squirmy 12-week-old
- un-confinable pup, despite 6 feet worth of barricade at the laundryroom door, coming home to amounts of pee/poo that no 12 lb dog should be capable of producing in a 4 hours period
- about 5 chewed leashes
-about 6 chewed collars
-about 8 pairs of chewed shoes
- 2 chewed pants, one sweater, 3 ball caps, 4 undies, 7 bras and a purse
- chewed floor, chewed door frame
- 10 largely ignored, lovingly selected and not inexpensive nylon chews
- poo on the floor, pee on the floor, millions of times.
-having to buy 20 rolls of paper towel every shopping trip
-saying "don't chew on the cats" millions of times

would I trade it for anything?

Nawwwwwww.
(puppehz iz just so darned CUTE!!!!!!)
, whoops, I mean, so sorry :sad:, nope I meant the

Awwwww Jaida puppy pics

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have loved having all my foster kittens and never had any doubts or issues, even when DH had to play "goalie" at the door trying the keep Sweet Pea's 7 kittens in the kitten nursery as I was trying to go in to give them their morning feeding at 5am. I wish I had that on video

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 17th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Sunshine's puppy moments (and she still has them occasionally and will for a while)...
-Eating six different books, at different times, 5 library books, one of which was hard cover and cost 30 dollars to replace (she climbed a chair onto the table to get that one.)
-Constantly harassing, chewing, dragging Dr. Seuss around, still working on this one.
-pulling whoever is walking her all over creation, causing your shoulder to feel like it's dislocated.
-grabbing Dad's chicken off his plate when he turned his back for 2 seconds. The entire leg and thing was completely gone.
-Eating half a block of hard cheese Mom had just finished slicing for hamburgers.
-chewing the corners of the bedspread on mom and dad's bed
-chewing holes in the bed mom bought for her when we thought she was getting good at eating only her toys.
-stealing and putting holes in every sock that gets within nose reach. If it's not in nose reach she will knock baskets and things over in order to put the socks within nose reach. Although at least we know where to find them, either in her crate or in her bed.
-taking over mom's brand new porch swing covering it in dog hair and splinters, and putting (small) holes in the cushion.
....and the list goes on.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM

I have my doubts whenever Jack wakes me up at 4 am just to play.
I also have my doubts whenever he chews on things. I understand that he likes to gnaw on my certain objects, but when he destroys things (such my brand new rug, brand new cardigan, comforter, rolls of toilet paper, etc.) my patience is really tested and I wonder if getting a pup was the right decision.

But I love him. <3 I wouldn't give him up for the world.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Before my current dogs, I had a beautiful Rottie named Edwina.
Eddie was my baby before I met my husband, and perhaps a bit jealous.
When my husband and I were dating, she ate his wallet.
His entire wallet, all his ID was damaged and his bank card was ruined. We had not been dating long, and I/she caused several hundred dollars in fees and weeks of replacement nightmares.
Must have been love, because 9 years later he is still putting his wallet carefully away so the dogs never eat it again.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
She gradually mellowed at about age ten and is now a joy to live with.

Quote:
You don't want to know how many times I re-read that first line to make sure I was reading it correctly, and then exhaled when I read the second line.

I'm thinking I might just keep a stash of chocolate and wine somewhere for future 'rebalancing' needs?
Chocolate and Wine are excellent rebalancing tools .

There is actually some truth to the fact that she didn't settle until she was ten, truth is she still pulls some puppy crap even nowadays (age 13.5). Sometimes I think that is just the character . I also think that we also just get more used to the shenanigans and life adapts.

Seriously though, one of the most useful things I ever taught Riley was an "on your bed" command. This means he goes to his nearest bed (at home or even when we are camping) and doesn't step off until released. He can stand, sit, lay down etc as long as he stays on the bed. I find this super useful when he gets to barking at something on the street or if he is just underfoot or needs to calm down. With the barking I get up and ask him to show me what he is barking at, then I say okay good dog and then give the "go to your bed" command.
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
-

Quote:
So what were your moments of doubt, and what triggered you into those moments?

ok , imagine this : getting a 100 lbs puppy .... because that's what I got when I started to foster Nelly , ok she was 72 lbs back then :sad: came from a puppy mill , underweight , separation anxiety etc .... I had MANY doubts at first , mostly when the house in itself would get destroyed (walls , doors , window sills) BTW , she still does ! Less but still ... I have to spread things with Tobasco sauce !!

What got you through it?
by looking deep into her eyes. and knowing , it wasn't her fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Quote:
Chocolate and Wine are excellent rebalancing tools .
and of course , lots of booze